The Opamp thread
Sep 24, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #6,811 of 7,383
Hi, All! I'm currently trying V6 Vivids in my DAC and I like the sound over my OPA627 very much BUT I experience rather extra level of HF than I need. I'm considering buying Sparkos SS3602 instead, anyone can tell if Sparkos are less prone to brightness or not?

You can try opa828,the modern version of opa627.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #6,813 of 7,383
In speed sensitive applications,such as I/V convert or active LPF in audio,I always prefer ICs.

Discrete solutions often have more output current,because they have batter output stage.

My phonitor 2 is based on discrete OPAMPs, but I will not consider SPL phonitor x since they use this solution on a DAC.

Sep 27, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #6,814 of 7,383
So I just bought some SOIC op amps and dip adapters but the adapter's legs/pins are two big to fit in the dip socket! How do people roll SOIC op amps here?

IMG_1791.JPEG IMG_1793.JPEG IMG_1795.JPEG

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #6,815 of 7,383
So I just bought some SOIC op amps and dip adapters but the adapter's legs/pins are two big to fit in the dip socket! How do people roll SOIC op amps here?

You just brought the wrong pins. the pins of an adapter should looks like that in an IC socket.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #6,819 of 7,383

I'm thinking of just changing the pins of my existing adapter. The link for the pins doesn't work here? Anyone knows where I can find the correct pins?

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #6,822 of 7,383
OPA2107 anyone? :)

I love it! Probably my favorite op amp. It’s dark and deep but I know it’s not for everyone and maybe too dark for many! Also, what I have learned is that if rig is already dark, it may be best to go with an op amp that’s bright/neutral.

I have Opa2111kp coming in the mail and I would love to compare the two for permanence or in combo.

Since I can’t use two opa627 on an adapter because of space restrictions. I’m happy with the Opa2107 with a relatively close audio signature! Also, I’ve heard that Opa627 can oscillate because of its high speed.

I’d also love to try AD825 but it’s single op amp.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #6,823 of 7,383
I love it! Probably my favorite op amp. It’s dark and deep but I know it’s not for everyone and maybe too dark for many! Also, what I have learned is that if rig is already dark, it may be best to go with an op amp that’s bright/neutral.

I have Opa2111kp coming in the mail and I would love to compare the two for permanence or in combo.

Since I can’t use two opa627 on an adapter because of space restrictions. I’m happy with the Opa2107 with a relatively close audio signature! Also, I’ve heard that Opa627 can oscillate because of its high speed.

I’d also love to try AD825 but it’s single op amp.

Would love to hear your impressions on those compared to the OPA2107. The next op-amp on my list is the OPA2210 but since it's MSOP I still need to solder it on the 8DIP adapter.

Been using the OPA2107 with my Whammy which I think has a neutral bright sound so it really pairs well. Been looking for the right combo of soundstage, warmth and punch and the 2701 delivers on those areas. I can't stress enough how good the HD650's sound.

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #6,824 of 7,383
Been looking for the right combo of soundstage, warmth and punch...

The Opa2107 for me has a sweet spot for the tremble sans the harshness with a deep soundstage w/o being wide and distant and it’s laid back which doesn’t make it fatiguing for long listening seshs!

I love the AD8066 it’s really alive and has the best sounding bass I’ve heard in op amp but it’s fatiguing for me. I also like the AD8620, it’s got a really nice dynamic sound but lacks the depth in detail soundstage of the Opa2107 and it’s bit too aggressive in the tremble.

Finding the ”right” combo/op amps is a challenge with a lot of trial and error.

Would love to hear your impressions on those compared to the OPA2107. The next op-amp on my list is the OPA2210 but since it's MSOP I still need to solder it on the 8DIP adapter.

I haven’t tried the Opa2210 but lately I’ve been into obsolete chips that may not have the best specs but sound great (at least that’s the objective)!

I’d like to try lt1028 but again it’s a single op amp!

I’d also like to try the Opa128 and Opa121 but there’s very little info on them sound wise!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back