The Opamp thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,621 of 7,383
  He won't be able to fit a metal can version with its adapter and the card's EMI shield, I was running OPA627SM, so I know.

You don't need an adapter to plug in a TO-99.  The pin arrangement is identical you simply need to form and trim the leads.  When I do it the can itself is slightly higher off the dip socket than a pdip so if done well you would need 2-4mm above a standard PDIP.  (depending on your skill level at forming the leads you might even get it basically the same height as a standard dip since the can is actually shorter than a dip, you just need room to form the leads and not short them to the can)

I'm not endorsing this seller, just using the image as an example of formed leads that fit into the dip socket in a low profile way.  There is no need to solder anything, they plug in just like a normal dip but with a little extra care in pin alignment.  So the dip socket in the photo would be the one on the PCB, you are not adding an adapter on top of the PCB dip socket.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LME49720HA-Adaptor-/170895883832

I have a hand full of LME49720HA's that are not soldered to dip carriers, I simply plug in the TO-99 package into a dip socket on the PCB when I want to test them.

****If you don't have 2mm+ above the top of the dip or have good mechanical skills then please ignore this as it likely wouldn't fit.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,622 of 7,383
It is pretty obvious the pin arrangement is identical or you couldn't use an adapter with a round solder arrangement.  However you need to look at the data sheet to see where pin 1 is or you'll end up bending the pins in the wrong arrangement.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #4,623 of 7,383
Muses01 came today from the official e-bay seller, Gyrocom C&C Korea. Same great packaging as the Muses02. Too early to compare the two but I can say that it is very, very nice indeed.

Will be buying from this seller from now on as I always get stung for customs and admin when ordering direct from Audiotrak.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,624 of 7,383
Its the same, audiotrack linked ebay store.

Do you prefer MUSES 01 over MUSES 02 ?

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #4,625 of 7,383
Muses01 came today from the official e-bay seller, Gyrocom C&C Korea. Same great packaging as the Muses02. Too early to compare the two but I can say that it is very, very nice indeed.

Will be buying from this seller from now on as I always get stung for customs and admin when ordering direct from Audiotrak.

Hey Nigel!

Is this the source you are referencing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOTRAK-MUSES-02-OPAMP-High-Quality-sound-bipolar-input-dual-oerational-amp-/111080427256

And should I order only two of these Muses 02 for the PB2 in the input gain stage?

Thanks!!

Mike

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #4,626 of 7,383
Hey Nigel!

Is this the source you are referencing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOTRAK-MUSES-02-OPAMP-High-Quality-sound-bipolar-input-dual-oerational-amp-/111080427256

And should I order only two of these Muses 02 for the PB2 in the input gain stage?

Thanks!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

well as they are so expensive, I have ordered only one of each for evaluation before committing to more. I listened to the 01 exclusively last night and it is up there with the best of the best for sure but I have had the 02 for a while and I am definitely in love with it. 

I haven't slipped back into my old rolling ways, I spend far longer evaluating now, I guess I'm maturing at last haha 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #4,630 of 7,383
I have a genuine MUSES01 I am considering selling so as to match my setup with another ADA4627-1BRZ (SOIC8 (x2) to DIP8):

Figured I'd mention it with so many people interested in MUSE amps.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4,631 of 7,383
Hey guys,
It's probably been mentioned somewhere before, but I can't see it, or find it, but could someone link me to the differences between the MUSES 01 and 02?  
Or even better, could somebody detail it here? :)
These are 2 channel amps aren't they? :p

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #4,632 of 7,383
Can't remember if I have mentioned these in here or not but I reckon I will say it again: If you are only ordering one MUSES, you can order it from Mouser. It is around $75~80 but usually come with free shipping when you pay with local currency. If you are ordering more than one, you can get it from JRC Japanese distributor, akizukidenshi.com, by using the buying service from Tenso. It is only $35 each, with $15 buying service charge, $5 shipping (inside Japan), $5 Tenso usual fee, and up to $20 EMS shipping. So the total is $80, which means the single price from ordering from either Mouser or Japan is about the same. But once you order two, it is will be $150 from Mouser vs. $115 from Japan. So the more you order, the more you will save by buying them from Japan. Also you can be sure both are genuine as they are both listed by JRC as MUSES distributor.

My personal view on MUSES 01 vs. 02 is that 01 is more musical, full and rich, really excel in vocal. 02 on the other hand is more neutral (though not total neutral), with better clarity and soundstage, particularly suited for Classical.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,633 of 7,383
  It's hard to believe there might be something better than the LME49990 in the PB2, but I'm going to try the 02 (x2).

Here is what I finally did:
I ordered MUSES02 and decided to go for a pair of LT1028ACN8s as buffer (it was suggested on Japanese forums)
Well, I have to say I was not satisfied with the sound, the highs were metallic and too crispy while the mids were too harsh - on the other hand the stage was really wide and deep and the bass became more powerful (I also tried the LME47910s as buffer but it did not get any better)

I decided then to go for the LME49990s as both I/V and buffer (SOIC to DIP8 adapter version)
The difference was astonishing, now everything is in its place :)
It sounds warmer, more tonally balanced and somewhat 'cleaner', I am totally happy with it!

I think after all it is all about personal taste, but it is definitely worth experimenting

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,634 of 7,383
With the LCD-2, I prefer the PB2 equipped with...

this... LME49990 in I/V + dummy buffers

rather than... LME49990 throughout.

I hear the same tonal balance, but with greater clarity, at the expense of power.

The LCD-2 are efficient enough that by using balanced cables, instead of the PB2's single-ended output, and using 16V external power, instead of the 12.6V internal battery, I still get plenty of dynamics and bass control.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/528149/ibasso-pb-2-pelican-fully-balanced-portable-db-2-dac-hiflight-recommended-op-amps-page-16/615#post_8360318

Mike

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4,635 of 7,383

Here is what I finally did:
I ordered MUSES02 and decided to go for a pair of LT1028ACN8s as buffer (it was suggested on Japanese forums)
Well, I have to say I was not satisfied with the sound, the highs were metallic and too crispy while the mids were too harsh - on the other hand the stage was really wide and deep and the bass became more powerful (I also tried the LME47910s as buffer but it did not get any better)

I decided then to go for the LME49990s as both I/V and buffer (SOIC to DIP8 adapter version)
The difference was astonishing, now everything is in its place :)
It sounds warmer, more tonally balanced and somewhat 'cleaner', I am totally happy with it!

I think after all it is all about personal taste, but it is definitely worth experimenting

Quote:
With the LCD-2, I prefer the PB2 equipped with...

this... LME49990 in I/V + dummy buffers

rather than... LME49990 throughout.

I hear the same tonal balance, but with greater clarity, at the expense of power.

I was running LME49990 in the I/V sockets and LT1028ACN8s in the buffer before I tried MUSES01 in the buffer. The O1 sounded okay but lacks compared to the LT1028ACN8s. I went back to the LT1028ACN8s in the buffer with absolutely no regrets.

LME49990 in I/V sockets seem to be a must at this point in time: The buffer socket you can leave empty or experiment with any quality opamp in seeking out what you prefer or need for your phones or speakers. The LT1028ACN8s works well in the buffer socket for my tastes whether it's thru headphones or speakers.

Of course you need two LT1028ACN8 on an adapter board plus the room around the buffer socket to plug in the adapter board. Could be a drawback for some but I am running an AUDIOTRAK Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE (need a PCI slot) so no problems (see card pics at link).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back