The Opamp thread
Jan 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #4,606 of 7,383
So, been listening to the setup where MUSES 01 is in main circuit and at output stage. Feels a lot like RE272 signature. Slightly brighter to my ears but incredibly detailed. Mids are more upfront.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #4,607 of 7,383
Finally got my last Opamp in:

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,608 of 7,383
Never have I tried eqing but with ZX1 as source and Muses 01 in main and output stage I find setting clear bass in ZX1 to +2 is the sweet spot.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4,609 of 7,383
Is that Sony ZX1 really almost $1000 for a high fidelity MP3 player?

I'd look at the Cowon devices for that price, like the Cowon iAUDIO 9+

I'm not trying to insult the ZX1 or it's owners, I'm just curious why you would pay that much money for a MP3 player with options like Cowons out there.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #4,610 of 7,383
Hi Everyone,
I got a Sound Blaster ZXR card and I am planning to replace the op-amps on it
I was thinking about the MUSES02 as the I/V op-amp (dual) but I am not sure about the buffer op-amp (single)
Can you please recommend some nice analog sounding DIP8 buffer op-amp to match with MUSES02? (or shall I just leave the original LME49710NA there with the MUSES02)
Thank you in advance

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #4,611 of 7,383
Well before recommending anything there are two questions I need to know first.

1. What is below your sound card in the next slot?  In other words how much space do you have beneath it?  If you have a video card directly below it then you can't run some op-amps that use adapters.  Also in general the space is limited on the board with what will fit if you use adapters.  You can see how tight the fit is on my AD8597 to a DIP8 adapter.

2. Do you want to be able to put the EMI shield back on after your upgrade?

After we know the space you have to work with vertically that will narrow (or open up) the options.

I can tell you right now that no full size Single DIP8 to Dual DIP8 adapter is going to fit on that board and fit with either the shield on or if you have a card in the slot directly below the card (I've tried to do it with the stock LME49710s with a GPU in the slot directly below)

I am talking about an adapter like this:

Also there is some debate on which Opamp is actually connected to, I intend to do a multimeter test to verify it soon.  Creative claimed that all the replaceable opamps go with the left and right channels, but people on other boards which are more PC based do not believe the ZXR has enough gain to push a 4 stage output buffer or a 2 stage push/pull.

"Kevmatic" from OCN Forums opinion on what Creative sent me:

That means either a 4-stage output buffer or a 2 stage push-pull. I HIGHLY doubt either would be true- its not necessary- the gain can't be high enough for 4 stages and a push-pull for opamps is redundant. It could also have them paralleled to drop the output impedance, but that's what the headphone amplifier is for....

He and I are referring to this picture Creative Support sent me:

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4,612 of 7,383
Hello,
Basically I would like to keep the EMI shield so ony DIP8 op-amps could work, no adapters

(I also read on other forums that all 4 op-amps drive only the 2 front channels)

Thank you in advance

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #4,613 of 7,383
What kind of budget are you looking at?  Also do you plan on purchasing from a source like Ebay or will you only stick with verified retailers like Digikey or Mouser?

Are you located in the US or where?  Also you can use adapters like the ones you see in my picture above, I have the shield installed on that card with zero clearance problems (all those are lower than the caps in height).

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #4,614 of 7,383
  Also there is some debate on which Opamp is actually connected to, I intend to do a multimeter test to verify it soon.  Creative claimed that all the replaceable opamps go with the left and right channels, but people on other boards which are more PC based do not believe the ZXR has enough gain to push a 4 stage output buffer or a 2 stage push/pull.

That burr brown DAC has balanced current outputs, so the analogue stage would almost certainly have to be...

Balanced I/V(dual opamp) into single opamp buffer (or the h/p amp) which is also acting as a Balanced to SE converter.

So in other words, remarkably similar to the ST/X, or the manufacturer's datasheet for that matter.

Can you please recommend some nice analog sounding DIP8 buffer op-amp to match with MUSES02? (or shall I just leave the original LME49710NA there with the MUSES02)

Can't speak for any potential of synergies with the MUSES02, not having heard the combo, but the LME49710 is an ideal buffer for line level audio. I would certainly try it, maybe it is not the absolute best choice for you, but it will certainly not be a bad choice.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #4,616 of 7,383
I too do not have a MUSES02 to compare against, but I have heard good things about the LME49990:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LME49990-single-SOIC-to-DIP8-adapter-low-noise-op-amp-/151119171631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232f67902f

That will fit without issue.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #4,617 of 7,383

I'm not trying to insult the ZX1 or it's owners, I'm just curious why you would pay that much money for a MP3 player with options like Cowons out there.

It's pretty good. I don't have anything much to compare but the best setup I have heard. May be the cost is on higher side but not when you have atrociously priced bricks.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #4,618 of 7,383
  The budget is not a main concern, I am living in Europe and actually I have already purchased a MUSES02, I am just concerned about the buffer op-amp
Cheers

If you like the sound of the Muses02 Plus LME49710NA you could try the LME49710HA, which is the metal can version of the same op-amp.  It has a very similar sound with a bit more detail and openness.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,619 of 7,383
He won't be able to fit a metal can version with its adapter and the card's EMI shield, I was running OPA627SM, so I know.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,620 of 7,383

I hear you!  

And with only 15mw per channel into 16 Ohms, at that!   The ZX1 is for efficient IEMs, only!  

And then Sony offers the PHA-2, which has a killer, DSD-capable DAC, that can be fed digitally from the ZH-1, which is great, but the PHA-2's amp section only outputs 90mW per channel into 32 Ohms - which might be fine for efficient headphones and IEMs, but there are a lot of portable headphone amps that can deliver 500mW or more per channel (RSA, CEntrance, ALO, iBasso, Triad, etc.) for use with headphones that are not efficient.  Audeze support recommends 1000mW into 50-Ohm, for example, but the crazy expensive PHA-2 only outputs 58mw into 50-Ohms!

Ironically, the TPA6120A2 amp chip inside the PHA-2 is being powered by only a 3.7V battery, but the datasheet for the TPA6120A2 shows that it can deliver 1500mW into 32 Ohms if given a supply voltage of 12V (instead of 3.7).  And if you supply that same chip with 15V, it will deliver 2000mW into 32 Ohms!!    

But Sony seems to think that keeping the PHA-2 small and light, with an output of only 90mW into 32 Ohms, is more important than unleashing the potential of that TPA6120A2 with a larger, higher-voltage battery pack!  And get this:  The PHA-2 doesn't even allow you to supply a higher voltage via an external power jack (as with the Meier Audio, iBasso, and Triad Audio amps, not to mention others).  Nope!  The only power input allowed with the PHA-2 is a 5V port for recharging the 3.7V battery from a USB source!   How convenient!   Give me a break!

The only saving grace for the PHA-2 is that it comes with an analog Line Out jack - so that you can bypass it's paltry amp section and connect it to a real headphone amp!

I LOVE Sony for their UIs and their build quality, but they are clueless when it comes to recognizing how important output power is for sound quality!

End of Mike's Rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back