The Opamp thread
Jul 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #61 of 7,383
I've only just started using Linear Technology OpAmps but have to say that I do like some a lot. The 1357's are real nice and I have an LT1124 and 2 x 1468's coming today from Farnell.

I will roll them this evening in my P3+ and post back.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #62 of 7,383
The LT1124 was recommended by a guy who's been working with ibasso on the P3 OEM project & he really knows his stuff. I was having trouble with my favourite OpAmps (OPA637's) in my P3+ and he suggested this as an alternative as it is supposedly very fast and detailed. I'm looking forward to testing it tonight.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #63 of 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto2
Oooops, typo, it should have been LT1346, rather than LT1356....

LT1346 does not exist as an opamp - thus it must have been LT1356 indeed.

---

oh no, too many typos, I meant LT1364
ph34r.gif

Never mind hehe,
icon10.gif

Spoke to Jim Williams today......looks like no problem using LT1358 at all through out the circuit, including the LPF and HPF.....
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #64 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluto2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto2
Oooops, typo, it should have been LT1346, rather than LT1356....

LT1346 does not exist as an opamp - thus it must have been LT1356 indeed.

---

oh no, too many typos, I meant LT1364
ph34r.gif

Never mind hehe,
icon10.gif

Spoke to Jim Williams today......looks like no problem using LT1358 at all through out the circuit, including the LPF and HPF.....
beerchug.gif

IMO LT1355 (or LT1358) + LT1469 is a better match than LT1364 + LT1469. I look for tonal neutrality above all.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #65 of 7,383
Well I have been doing some initial testing the LT1124 and have to say I am really amazed that people don't mention it more. It is indeed very detailed and lightning fast, I can't say it's a neutral sounding OpAmp as it does have a colouration of sorts that makes it an interesting listen. It's hard to put into words but it's musical and I like it a lot. I will keep it in my P3+ and try some different combo's of buffers and V/G OpAmps. The 1469's will have to wait until I have got used to the 1124, if my initial findings are anything to go by the 1469's may be gathering dust for a while yet.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #66 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have been doing some initial testing the LT1124 and have to say I am really amazed that people don't mention it more. It is indeed very detailed and lightning fast, I can't say it's a neutral sounding OpAmp as it does have a colouration of sorts that makes it an interesting listen. It's hard to put into words but it's musical and I like it a lot. I will keep it in my P3+ and try some different combo's of buffers and V/G OpAmps. The 1469's will have to wait until I have got used to the 1124, if my initial findings are anything to go by the 1469's may be gathering dust for a while yet.

Interesting. Even though the LT1469 certainly won't be less fast & detailed.

I will have to try the LT1124. I know (from my very unique numerical thory
smile_phones.gif
) that it will work well as far as tonal balance is concerned with the CS4398 DAC.

I thought of trying the NJM 2114 (used in Arcam CDPs of the latest generation) too, but maybe this is worth giving the precedence.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Also try the LT1355, which altogether I prefer to the LT1469... even if the latter can be more impressive with certain records (but a little disappointing with others). The LT1355 just sounds right in my DAC. Not that easy to sound so right.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #68 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluto2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
noticed that LT1355 displays less overshoot but has longer settling time than LT1358, what does it translate to in sonic characteristics?

JW did mention LT1469 is an old chip....

Didn't know it was "old". What else did he say about it?

The settling time of the LT1355 is still quite fast compared to the likes of the LME49xxx and the other "audio opamps".

Just tried the OPA211AID inside the Super Pro...

Well... Very controlled bass, milky mids, clear indeed. Pity that it's a bit cool tonally compared to the LT1355. They both have their advantages. For now I'll keep the 2x OPA211...

May it be that the AID sounds better than the ID? Formerly I thought that the OPA211 was more colored. Perhaps it were the +/-15V instead of 12. Or that the ID sounds more colored
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #69 of 7,383
I have replaced (in the Super Pro of course) the 330nF Wima MKS2 with a 33uF tantalum, bypassing the 680uF Rubycon ZL, in order to have the most speed in energy delivery to the opamp.

Soo the OPA211 are given the best environment to perform like they can. And they perform.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that in the future I'll make a test and compare LT1354 x2 to LT1357 x2 to OPA211 x2. I guess that it's worth limiting my choice to one of these.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #71 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard that OPA211's were very good. I soldered up some modules the other night but have yet to test them.

They are... except for a little lack of the vivid tonal color of the LT1355 or LT1358.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will see if I can live with them or... I'll have to go back.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, the OPA211 is not apparently more transparent than the LT1355... just different.

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #72 of 7,383
I think the rules of this forum encourage arguments...so here I come
biggrin.gif

I've asked several highly skilled sound engineers(the kind that gives lectures about audio and works at building highly accurate measurement tools), and they all told me that :
-yes, there's many op-amps that give a clearer SQ than the 5532
-*BUT* most records have literally gone through hundreds of 5532/5534...and most of them have basically been mixed on these, and are aimed at being listened to on these
redface.gif

-you can embelish what's on the record, but in the end the 5532 just gets it "right". maybe that's why Lynx puts them on all their top-end cards? the ppl I'm talking about only use cards from this company.

I think many ppl will agree that the 4562 has very clear trebles, but the low end bass response lacks. and same for the LT1469 apparently?

anyway, even in these measurements the 4562 beats the 5532 : RMAA Testing of Audio IC Op Amps

but is music about distortion-free trebles and tame bass? isn't it asking for troubles to search for something undiserable to begin with
confused.gif

I've read some ppl saying that whatever op-amp they were trying "worked" on most songs, but not on all....maybe that's because the ultimate op-amp that makes everything so much better...simply doesn't exist?

what do you say about the JRC2114D for I/V? it's a slightly improved 5532
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: that guy who keeps getting banned and talks about numerology in op-amps is simply out of this world
beerchug.gif

he should run a team w/ Patrick82, how about ESD wrapped op-amps w/ "compatible" numbers
floatsmile.png

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #73 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by exhausted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are... except for a little lack of the vivid tonal color of the LT1355 or LT1358.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will see if I can live with them or... I'll have to go back.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, the OPA211 is not apparently more transparent than the LT1355... just different.

I will have to do some more in depth testing with the OPA211's, and some LT's. I have the ones you mentioned but there are a few more I have been looking at.
Just installed ExpressPCB, gonna start putting together some projects.
atsmile.gif

I have been doing a great deal of testing and buiding of various oapmps modules latley now I need to set a day aside to sit down and listen to them.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #74 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by pacemaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can say that the OPA211 is not the ideal opamp.

Between 2x OPA211 and one LT1355, the latter was more musical and engaging for my ears and the music I listen to. The OPA211 is a little bit colorless...

Maybe in the Super Pro I'll put 2x LT1028CS8, which had sounded great the last time I used them (here).

You're like a big wad of GUM that you can't get off your shoe!

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #75 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by superiore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are the sort of people that make it impossible for those like me to be here.

Let me quote majkel... No I can't. His post has been removed too.

There's nothing right with this forum, no honesty or transparency to be found, neither on the side of the "population" nor on that of the "power".

Only such ridiculous humans as "les_garden" are stupid enough to feel good here. The others are just desperate for lack of life or places to go.

I'm not sure what's going on here??

I understand that on occasions people disagree but it seems that the grudges people hold seem to bleed into other threads and that's when the rot sets in. I WAS enjoying hearing about other peoples experiences and thoughts regards this thread, don't agree with some of it, but as I always say what ever you hear is a person thing and always subjective. Can we just move along now?

What's the story with Majkel? He/She and I were having a great chat and now their posts are removed. My posts/replies don't make a great deal of sense since Majkels replies/posts were removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back