The Opamp thread
Jul 7, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #31 of 7,383
Guys, I need some help because I just can't find any good info on the matter at hand..
I'm looking for a detaild, yet warm single channel SOIC opamp. It's for my Corda Move.
I had the AD8610's installed, then I replaced them with the LME49710's.
It is a serious upgrade in SQ, but a bit too cold for my taste.

Any recommendations?

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #33 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I need some help because I just can't find any good info on the matter at hand..
I'm looking for a detaild, yet warm single channel SOIC opamp. It's for my Corda Move.
I had the AD8610's installed, then I replaced them with the LME49710's.
It is a serious upgrade in SQ, but a bit too cold for my taste.

Any recommendations?

Try the OPA228UA, if the gain of the circuit is about 5 or more (or if it has a gain setting and you don't mind keeping it high). I think it has what you want.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #34 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with AD744's (OBCA) or the AD843's.

Knowing you Sam, I think you would get a kick out of making up the OBCA adapters for the 744's.

Err sorry... The AD744 (especially if you bypass its output stage) surely can't drive headphones and the AD843 doesn't exist SOIC.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #35 of 7,383
Er sorry...... but I'm using them in my P3+ driving headphones. I didn't pay too much attention to the SOIC in Sam's post as I did not understand why it would need to be SOIC? Doesn't the move use DIP sockets?

Do you actually have the AD744's or are all your OpAmps Linear Technology??
wink.gif
we can all read data sheets but I like to hear them so don't comment unless I've actually used them.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #36 of 7,383
My CD player (an Ayre CX7e) uses the AD844's. Don't know if they can drive headphones either, but they do sound warm and inviting with plenty of detail. The music just flows. Very analogue like presentation with kick ass bass extension and drive.

Bob

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #37 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er sorry...... but I'm using them in my P3+ driving headphones. I didn't pay too much attention to the SOIC in Sam's post as I did not understand why it would need to be SOIC? Doesn't the move use DIP sockets?

Do you actually have the AD744's or are all your OpAmps Linear Technology??
wink.gif
we can all read data sheets but I like to hear them so don't comment unless I've actually used them.

You're using them in your P3+ because there's a buffer in between the opamp and the headphones...

(though the AD843 would drive them well also alone)

And yep the Move uses SOIC opamps because the AD8610 only exists as SOIC.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #39 of 7,383
Nope, this is the room I have to play with

P1000986-1.jpg

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #41 of 7,383
Very true. But with enough flux, a 225 degrees celsius soldering tip and a steady hand it's possible to do it enough times.
But lets say I want to improve the bass just a little, but keep this opamp. Would different signal caps do the trick? I currently have 3 Elna Cerafine 10v 220uF's installed.
Would replacing them with Elna Silmic II's change the sound enough?

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #42 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMcN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CD player (an Ayre CX7e) uses the AD844's. Don't know if they can drive headphones either, but they do sound warm and inviting with plenty of detail. The music just flows. Very analogue like presentation with kick ass bass extension and drive.

Bob

Thanks for the information. That is potentially interesting for a CMOY that supports bipolar opamps (such as mine
tongue.gif
), except that it isn't clear if it's stable or not with any gain of less than +10. While it's specified as stable with G= -1 or more. Perhaps I'll try it if I can find it.

However, it doesn't seem to exist as SOIC, either. So not for the Corda Move.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #43 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true. But with enough flux, a 225 degrees celsius soldering tip and a steady hand it's possible to do it enough times.
But lets say I want to improve the bass just a little, but keep this opamp. Would different signal caps do the trick? I currently have 3 Elna Cerafine 10v 220uF's installed.
Would replacing them with Elna Silmic II's change the sound enough?

Hmm, not quite sure but I don't think you can change the balance much by just changing the reservoir caps. It would be a different thing if they weren't there at all originally.

I would change the opamps with OPA228UA's. But since that's always a risk with SMD opamps... be it your choice entirely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #45 of 7,383
Really should state the PURPOSE of the opamp you are recommending.

I/V - I've heard great things of the OPA1632 for I/V - TwistedPearAudio uses it and I must admit, I love their stuff.

Driving headphones directly - AD8397 is pretty damn good and rail-rail. AD825 is really good for that as well, but it doesn't swing rail-rail and runs nicer from 12V+.

Behind a buffer, I like AD825, AD8065, LME49710 among with a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back