The Opamp thread
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #7,351 of 7,383
Alright op amp people, I’m a total op amp neophyte, and I am 100% out of my depth on this, so I’m hoping one of you can offer some guidance. I’m also going to post this in the Violectric V222 thread, so sorry for the duplication, but just trying to source ideas from people with expertise with the amp as well as the op amps.

The Problem:
I put the Sparkos SS3602 in each of the op amp slots in my Violectric V222. They made an immediately noticeable improvement in sound. Then I turned it off, and when I turned it back on, no sound. Turning it off and back on again, it works fine. This happens like clockwork. Every other time that I turn it on, the lights on the front come on, but no music.

What I have tried:
It doesn’t matter how long I wait between powering off and on, it is the same behavior. I also tried putting the original op amps back in, and the behavior returns to normal, works every time. With the stock op amp in the volume pot position and the Sparkos at the inputs, it still happens. Using the 3 SS3602s I have, I rotated each one out in the input positions, and same problem each time, so no faulty op amp. I also tried all permutations of the ground, lift, chassis jumpers (Keeping both L & R channel the same) with both the lift and ground setting for the main power jumper - no change. I have tried switching inputs and changing to a couple of different pre-gain settings with no change to behavior.

More investigation:
(Photos below) I opened the amp, and, not touching anything at all on the inside while it is plugged in, I turned the device on, and I see 11 total lights. 8 green on the main amplifiers, 2 green in the middle of the large electrolytic capacitors, and 1 red on a small vertical board in front of the other internal components. From what I have read in the manual, there is a DC protection circuit that disconnects power to the headphones if DC is detected. My theory is that a relay is activating to turn on the DC protection circuit when powering down the amp. There is a sound of a relay clicking very shortly after turning the power off, and the red light on the front board comes on for just a second. When turning the amp back on, that red light is illuminated and there is no sound. One of the green lights in the pair among the capacitors is off when this happens, but the other 9 are still on. When I turn it off again, then back on, all of the green lights are back on and the red light is gone and music plays.

Photos:

Amp is playing correctly - 8 green lights on the left, 2 on the right, no red light:

IMG_4681 Medium.jpeg

Amp is not working - no sound playing - 8 green lights on the left, 1 green light on the right, and red light on in the front:

IMG_4682 Medium.jpeg

Red light on front alternate view - amp not working - no sound:

IMG_4683 Medium.jpeg

My questions:

1. Is there a way to keep the Sparkos op amps in and fix the behavior?
2. I don’t mind turning on the amp twice each time as long as I am not harming it, and it sounds awesome with the Sparkos, so does anyone think this might be causing a problem for me down the line?
3. Can anyone explain why this might be happening?
4. Is it bad that warranty is misspelled in the manual? I just noticed that in the second photo, lol

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #7,352 of 7,383
Feb 29, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #7,353 of 7,383
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #7,355 of 7,383
I need to know from someone as to who sells dip-8 op-amp extender cables in America. Every shop that sells them is either in China or Europe...and will take too long to get here as I sit with a pair of Burson V7 vivids ready to go.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #7,356 of 7,383
For those of you that have installed the chip based OPA1655 op amps, what kind of tonal changes do they bring? Do they make the midrange more analog? Do they increase dynamics and do they increase decay/increase transient speed?

I'm thinking about having the stock op amps swapped to the OPA1655 op amps on my iBasso DX300 MAX but want to hear your experiences with those specific op amps before I make my decision and have NPAudio swap them.
What can I expect in terms of battery draw and battery life for my DAP with these op amps?

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #7,357 of 7,383
For those of you that have installed the chip based OPA1655 op amps, what kind of tonal changes do they bring? Do they make the midrange more analog? Do they increase dynamics and do they increase decay/increase transient speed?

I'm thinking about having the stock op amps swapped to the OPA1655 op amps on my iBasso DX300 MAX but want to hear your experiences with those specific op amps before I make my decision and have NPAudio swap them.
What can I expect in terms of battery draw and battery life for my DAP with these op amps?

i can just speak for the OPA1656 ... very pleasing opamp... smooth nice topend, no surprising midrange and kinda tonally boosted "clean" bass/subbass

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #7,358 of 7,383
i can just speak for the OPA1656 ... very pleasing opamp... smooth nice topend, no surprising midrange and kinda tonally boosted "clean" bass/subbass

Thanks, the OPA1655 is just the single ended version of the OPA1656 so they should be quite similar.

What amp did you use the OPA1656 with? or was it for a DAP?

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #7,359 of 7,383

I have also tried OPA1656 in several devices and it sounds quite similar to the most popular OPA1612 - which is my favourite opamp from small cheap op-amps. OPA1656 adds a bit more warmth/smoothness, but for my taste it sounds too smooth and lacks a bit in dynamics, clarity and "bite" in some genres like electronics, metal, rock...better suitable for jazz, blues, classical music. If you need only single opamps - I would go for Muses03 or Bursin V5i if it is possible.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #7,360 of 7,383
Thanks, the OPA1655 is just the single ended version of the OPA1656 so they should be quite similar.

What amp did you use the OPA1656 with? or was it for a DAP?
i compared it on a toppind d10 some time ago and currently with a aune x8

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #7,362 of 7,383
i compared it on a toppind d10 some time ago and currently with a aune x8
LME49722 kicks butt in D10s :)

BTW, anyone tried these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003270052020.html ?

Getting the TOTL dual model second hand, we'll see. Cheapest ones got good feedback here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/diy-l-k-s-es9018-dac.287077/
These UFEEL upgrade adapters. They cost about €8,50 each, but are definitely resulting in better sound than biasing with resistors. This solved most of the audio signature problems. The bass got REALLY tight. On Plastikman - Explore I could just raise the volume on my QMS Q5 speakers (which are REALLY good at bass too) and every kick was just so tight and controlled.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #7,363 of 7,383
LME49722 kicks butt in D10s

isnt this some deriviate of LM4592 (i think thats what its called)? .. it didnt really like the LM4592, for me the top end wasnt right, i prefer the OPA1656 smooth top end way more, if i remember right the LM4592 kinda sounded brittle with a bit boosted highs

i think i tried around 10 chip op amps with the D10, havent tested all of them with the Aune X8 tho

EDIT: i also tested the NE5332, nothing special imo kinda comparable to OPA2134 just with another (not as boring but same resolution style) character

-OPA2156, DEFINITELY behind the OPA1656 variant, i think TI is knowing why they advertise something specific for audio...
-i had some 2 other 2xxx variants... (something like OPA2228, im not sure anymore) all behind the 1xxx variants for audio imo
-OPA1692, honestly dont remember the exact same sound, it was behind OPA1656 but overall not bad
-OPA1622, not as good as OPA1612 but i also didnt try to connect a GND wire..
-OPA1612 approved by me :) probably second favourite of chip opamps behind the OPA1656
-OPA627, really good sounding opamp, it has kind of the same attribute as a V6 Vivid in that both can make older recordings sound really fantastic... with OPA1612 and OPA1656 in my top 3 chip opamps...
-OPA2134 is IMO as boring as opamps can get :sleeping:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #7,364 of 7,383
ohh these look interesting, tho i would definitely put a socket on them for easy swapping

i cant say anything about these but about powercoupling capacitors...

i currently use Nichicon KZ 470 uF + Vishay MKP 100nF between V- and V+ of the opamp... it definitely made an improvement as large as changing the opamp itself...

before i had only 47uf KZ cap, this alone makes around 50-70% of the improvement, going larger in size and adding a bypass cap just refined the sound more

you can solder the caps to a dip-8 socket with a little craftmansship, so you can easly swap the caps etc..

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #7,365 of 7,383
Are there anyone stateside that can tell me if there are suppliers here that sell dip8 op-amp extenders cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back