The Opamp thread
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #6,436 of 7,383
Hi, somebody offered me a pair of used AD797SQ (ceramic DIP version) for a very cheap if not suspicious price. Is there any fake ceramic chip out there? And quick dipping test with acetone still valid for today's fake chip or Chinese fakers learned something new?

Is there any difference hear or measure able?
Or by other OPAs between DIP and metal can version?

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #6,437 of 7,383
Given that a standard AD797 costs about 10 USD at Mouser and a ceramic AD797SQ costs 4 USD on eBay, I kinda think there are fakes out there.

I will if there's a resistance between some 2 pins at my AD797 (non-SQ) at home, although...an active circuit that tests and measures the noise might be better.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #6,438 of 7,383
Anyway i just bit the bullet and took it anyway, gonna try it at home versus my normal AD797ANZ one. If its real, then the fact its packaged in ceramic and non-RoHS made it superior than plastic RoHS one (lead n heavy metal maybe bad for your brain but good for your ear :p )

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #6,439 of 7,383
Being ceramic doesn't means it will sound better, instead it is military grade and will have a better temperature operation range.
However, given the higher price of the SQ, I'm sure the Q&A is more strict than on regular plastic DIP8 opamps, so in real tests & measurements, an SQ might actually measure a bit better than ANZ.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #6,440 of 7,383
Anyway i just bit the bullet and took it anyway, gonna try it at home versus my normal AD797ANZ one. If its real, then the fact its packaged in ceramic and non-RoHS made it superior than plastic RoHS one (lead n heavy metal maybe bad for your brain but good for your ear :p )
I once tried a Ceramic from China and it was crap. Try and buy it from any other country.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #6,442 of 7,383
Given that a standard AD797 costs about 10 USD at Mouser and a ceramic AD797SQ costs 4 USD on eBay, I kinda think there are fakes out there.

I will if there's a resistance between some 2 pins at my AD797 (non-SQ) at home, although...an active circuit that tests and measures the noise might be better.
Too many fakes, unfortunately. If they can't fake it perfectly they might as well stop. Lol. Wait, then it's not a fake right?

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #6,444 of 7,383
My favourite opamps right now: OPA1692 and ADA4075-2ARZ and you?
ADA4075 rocks, I wish it came in MSOP form.
I want to do a comparison between 4075 and AD8512, see if 8512 is worthy for some mods I have planned. 8512 does get an MSOP variant.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #6,445 of 7,383
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #6,446 of 7,383
My favourite opamps right now: OPA1692 and ADA4075-2ARZ and you?
On my DAP - 2x ADA4897-1ARZ (80mA per channel)
On my desk setup - OPA2228PA

Maybe going to try Your favourites in future when I get bored...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #6,447 of 7,383
back to the party, i apologise that this is a cut'n'paste from my review at massdrop, but they are a completely different cohort :

i'm currently rocking a burson v5 courtesy of massdrop's irresistible offer, although i didn't try hard to resist really

this was put into my asus xonar hdav, replacing the burson v5i which had replaced a dual mounted opa627 which was my first opamp to "roll" the supplied one in the card... and thus do addictions begin

i spent probably little more than a few hours thus far with it, running flac files from the home theatre to a nad d3020 which drives a pair of wharfedale 10.1's and a 10.gx 10" active sub, essentially a room appropriate 2.1 system which purists would define as "entry level hifi"

compared to the v5i, i initially thought it sounded a bit "thin" in comparison, but eventually realised that what i thought was less sound was actually more distinct separate sounds without any indistinct filling padding the gaps
the soundstage is as wide as the v5i, but the mix seems to be much flatter across the frequencies in comparison indeed, the bass seemed less pronounced, but with noticeably more attack, and even clearer than the already impressive v5i punches; midrange had the same abilities, but on further listening it became more obvious that not all tracks have the same effect - and it slowly dawned on me that i was hearing variations that were likely entirely what the different engineers had intended, that weren't previously rendered that noticeable

reproduction is different, and with a bit of readjustment for that, better for the most part- there are things in the music that i have never noticed before (or hadn't been able to notice might be a better interpretation), and all the components of the mix are just "there" clearly and in a balanced way that is not like i had previously been hearing them, although the v5i was a very happy option for listening too

my only complaint would be that some of my well listened tracks were revealed to have deficiencies - the flac rip of miles davis' "flamenco sketches" quite obviously showed the background noise of the original vinyl, which was a new discovery, and bowie's "life on mars" seemed to breathe like there was some weird compression happening - but i confess the volume was ramped beyond my usual listening levels for that one, and maybe the hardware needs a period of burn in to fully do its stuff (and that was about the third track i played after fitting the opamp)

i am quite happy to admit that i'm not sure that burn in is actually a thing, but time will tell if those tracks improve, or possibly i get better at ignoring any deficiencies and instead just hear the music

overall, the v5 is a distinct step up from the v5i, which i was sorta expecting, but it took me by surprise anyway
the v5i is no slouch, but i'm a contented buyer of its big sibling so far

my only problem will be that i know the v6 is out there, and even more problematic, i know there's 2 variations of it... and we all know how that ends once you've got the itch

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #6,448 of 7,383
Here is my AD797SQ received a few days ago. Can anybody lookup and find a pic of the real one and compare?
I put them into pure acetone for about 5hrs. No dynasolve or x acto knife for some deep scratch test, although i will get one.
20190306_184403.jpg 20190306_184449.jpg

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #6,449 of 7,383
Here is my AD797SQ received a few days ago. Can anybody lookup and find a pic of the real one and compare?
I put them into pure acetone for about 5hrs. No dynasolve or x acto knife for some deep scratch test, although i will get one.
Did the acetone do anything? If they are ceramic then actetone shouldnt do anything. Did you test them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back