The Opamp thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #6,106 of 7,383
Numon, opposite nature opamp is used to get a warm headphone to get some nicer detail. Warm + warm turns out to messy.

Muse01 are crap crap opamp. Tube like distortion but a little skewed on 2nd and 6th harmonic.

Get a opa1688 agdr cmoy(neutral) or xrkaudio amp(warm).

And don't expect warm opamp to sound warm as opamp were never made for that purpose. Go buy some tubes.

Opamp master race never believes in warmth. Even muse is also cold with some track. It is just the distortion sounds warmer and lemme remind you, warm + warm is mesh in mids. Experience

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #6,107 of 7,383
Its easy

Get the distortion charts on a dummy cmoy. Higher distortion are warm, lower distortion are detailed.

Even harmonic distortion is tube like and neutral line distortion is cold and analytical.
Unless someone makes a list of which opamp has what signature it's hard to tell what they actually have.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #6,108 of 7,383
[...]
Muse01 are crap **** opamp. Tube like distortion but a little skewed on 2nd and 6th harmonic.

Get a opa1688 agdr cmoy(neutral) or xrkaudio amp(warm).
[...]

Actually, I found MUSES01 (the original ones) being the best I've tried in I/V stage of my Essence One DAC, well...at least better than MUSES8920, NE5532, AD8599, OPA1602, OPA1604, OPA2134, OPA1652 etc.). THD is quite low based on Stereophile, Archimago's blog and similar websites (also in-house RMAA conducted tests).

Its easy

Get the distortion charts on a dummy cmoy. Higher distortion are warm, lower distortion are detailed.

Even harmonic distortion is tube like and neutral line distortion is cold and analytical.

May I add here the phase-shift of the analog stage of the headamp/LPF/buffer that is definitely adding lot of warmth in the output sound?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #6,109 of 7,383
thanks
i had v6 vivid and i had a chance to compare v6 vivid on o2 amp and zishan z2 stock opamp,z2 stock was better on thicker fuller sound than vivid except ss and details

In my Objective2 amplifier I got better results with BURSON SS V5 than SS V6 Classic/Vivid; it's not only about the output sound, but also about the "thump" sound that appears when powering ON and OFF the amplifiers and the output DC-voltage (lower "thump" with SS V5, actually lower than the original 2608 op-amp).

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #6,114 of 7,383
Can't justify that amount of dosh! I'm entranced by Muses01 at the moment and I consider them expensive.

For anyone out there who thinks the Muses01 are not top notch, you bought fakes. When starting out I made the same mistakes, I bought fake OPA637BP's for cheaper than Mouser/Farnell etc... And they were worse than some 'Jellybean' chips.

Genuine Muses01 are the benchmark at this time for me...

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #6,115 of 7,383
Getting here now, and finding this Muses discussion.

Not very practical reading 408+ pages to find the start of this, so can someone tell me where to get more info?

The chip seems to be made by NJR and sold by Mouser and DK. Specs are average. But most of all: price is ridiculous! $46 for one chip?

Comments above look conflicting too.

For that kind of money I think I could assemble a sophisticated two-chip line amp like some Walt Jung published.

Am I wrong on my comments, as I never listened to it?

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #6,116 of 7,383
I had the original muse01 and I find them okay to better, the fake one were just mehh

@The Chief take on burson opamp was an Eye-opener for me and I did it to my v6vivid.

No turning back from this point.

Offer me the ultimate class A biasing opamp or go home

When I joined head fi....I guess muse01 was one of the top leader

But OPA1622 and 1688, if build properly with and knowledge(talking about amps) are miles better than any opamps I have listened so far.(defeats the burson v6 modded in few aspect, but not on soundstage)

This is my observation, yours may vary

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #6,117 of 7,383
Please, don’t remember me about MUSES01 price, I have 4 of them installed in my Essence One combo. :) For some reason these expensive chips are the best I’ve tried in I/V for E1 DAC.

However, 8920 is also a wire-with-gain in most circumstances and it’s way cheaper if you want to try it out.

Both of the above could be a good match for I/V and a very good choice for gain-stage and output buffer, given their high current output and very low DC-output.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #6,119 of 7,383
me still love LT1028A, made Ray Samuels a rich man and got 10/10 for soundstage in an old opamp comparison, a b*tch to stabilize but SQ is too good :)

of course you'll have to polish the rest of the rig coz it's not an utterly bright HiRes chip, yet not tuby to the least

I wish I could snag some LT1028ACH but they all appear to be fake, I got a really nice pair off ebay but seller refunded me after I asked whether they were genuine as they didn't match the NOS looking listing pic and they look too shiny to be true :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back