The Opamp thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #5,851 of 7,383
A lot of those use square pins that might not fit into the round holes on your average high quality DIP8 socket - but fit fine into the older styles ones and the cheap and nasty sockets.

They aren't a bad option for testing stuff and can be used without soldering but they have fairly long connections which isn't ideal if that means decoupling capacitors, etc. are a long way from the opamp.

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #5,852 of 7,383
Hadn't forgotten about the OPA2209 but got side tracked with this little project which I decided to use them in:

upload_2018-3-28_19-37-52.png

Started out with such intentions but ended up a bit messy and cramped - but seems to achieved what I set out to do none the less (another USB powered O2 variant that keeps as much of the performance of the original on prototype board while being, relatively speaking, easy to build).

"Proof of life":

upload_2018-3-28_19-38-6.png

As this is a newly built amp I can't directly compare against much else other than I've run 3x OPA2209 and 3x OPA1612 through it to listen to.

Would definitely agree that the OPA2209 seems like a more reference sound OPA1612 - it also has noticeably decent noise and EMI/RF resilience when used on an open prototype board like above :D

Nice detail and texture as imran27 noted I find the mid-range is a little prominent but at the same time there is no lack of soundstage with certain instruments, etc. standing out well as they should be with a sense of depth. None of the at times synthetic "twang" of the 1612 very neutral but without sounding dry like the OPA1602 or LME4xxxx, etc. treble could do with a touch more life maybe but can't really fault it otherwise.

Overall pretty impressed with it - can see it being my go to its a nice blend of all the things I love about the OPA2228, AD8066 and OPA1612 with less of the downsides.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #5,854 of 7,383
Like the look of that Rroff will you roll that out or is it just a personal project?

Just a personal project it isn't particularly cost effective in implementation - happy to answer any questions about it, etc.

Not really the thread for it but quick run down on parts used:

-2x DCP020507 (single output) DC-DC POL for converting USB power to +/-7V rails + isolation.
-Panasonic FC 4.7uf on the input to the DCPs.
-Cornell Dubilier 470uf MLQ series used for the main cap bank
-LM2990T/LM2940T (5 volt fixed) regulator pair - not my first choice as noise performance is so-so but low voltage drop, reasonably low quiescent current but means minimal circuitry over the better LM317/337 setup which I generally prefer - goal was to keep it simplified as much as possible while retaining as much performance as possible.
-Nichicon 220uf and 10uf KZ (Muses) used for providing local power and bypassing the input stage
-Wima MKP4 (new variant) polypropylenes for the film caps
-Conductive plastic 10K pot - (Vishay P9A2R100FISX1103ML)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #5,855 of 7,383
This opamp is so not forgiving for tunes with a lot of mushiness from compression, etc. :frowning2: one of the reasons I still use the OPA2228 at times is that it tends to flatter the average MP3 encoding while still producing high quality results when fed from better sources.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #5,856 of 7,383
This opamp is so not forgiving for tunes with a lot of mushiness from compression, etc. :frowning2: one of the reasons I still use the OPA2228 at times is that it tends to flatter the average MP3 encoding while still producing high quality results when fed from better sources.
Yeah indeed. OPA2209 is crazy fast, the attack and decay is insane.

I tried many IEM's at CanJam SG and also at Music Sanctuary, the differences in attack speed of various IEMs was so clear.

Some IEM makers praised the transient performance of XD-05 (with OPA2209 and bypass caps on BUF634)

I just revisited some of the opamps I had after adding bypass caps over BUF634 in my XD-05.

OPA2192 is like the next best thing after OPA2209: Slight mid bass emphasis, more fleshy mid range, less texture compared to OPA2209 and highs start to recess and roll off not very steep roll off though so you have the extension in highs but it feels more musical and forgiving. Same applies for the bass. And soundstage is more intimate, doesn't have the depth and placement of OPA2209. If you like OPA2209 but want something forgiving and engaging without sacrificing a lot of details, OPA2192

OPA1662: When it comes to detail resolution, this is second only to OPA2209 but OPA1662 also has a pretty dry untextured (I mean not satisfactorily textured) mid range and quite recessed. Soundstage is adequately wide and engaging.

LME49720: Lower mids and mid emphasis (slight), in terms of texture this is second to OPA2209, bass and treble extensions are not very good, soundstage is very very intimate, layering is decent. Bass sometimes masks lower mid range details.

I can't see anything replacing OPA2209 anytime soon.

Maybe OPA2189 (or dual OPA189) or OPA1692 but they are in preview still

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #5,857 of 7,383
Yeah indeed. OPA2209 is crazy fast, the attack and decay is insane.

I tried many IEM's at CanJam SG and also at Music Sanctuary, the differences in attack speed of various IEMs was so clear.

Some IEM makers praised the transient performance of XD-05 (with OPA2209 and bypass caps on BUF634)

I just revisited some of the opamps I had after adding bypass caps over BUF634 in my XD-05.

OPA2192 is like the next best thing after OPA2209: Slight mid bass emphasis, more fleshy mid range, less texture compared to OPA2209 and highs start to recess and roll off not very steep roll off though so you have the extension in highs but it feels more musical and forgiving. Same applies for the bass. And soundstage is more intimate, doesn't have the depth and placement of OPA2209. If you like OPA2209 but want something forgiving and engaging without sacrificing a lot of details, OPA2192

OPA1662: When it comes to detail resolution, this is second only to OPA2209 but OPA1662 also has a pretty dry untextured (I mean not satisfactorily textured) mid range and quite recessed. Soundstage is adequately wide and engaging.

LME49720: Lower mids and mid emphasis (slight), in terms of texture this is second to OPA2209, bass and treble extensions are not very good, soundstage is very very intimate, layering is decent. Bass sometimes masks lower mid range details.

I can't see anything replacing OPA2209 anytime soon.

Maybe OPA2189 (or dual OPA189) or OPA1692 but they are in preview still
Can you be more specific with which opa2209 you are using? I see tons of them on mouser and don't know which version would be best

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #5,858 of 7,383
Can you be more specific with which opa2209 you are using? I see tons of them on mouser and don't know which version would be best
Well, SOIC 8 pin

TI doesn't have any design variations. Most of the different ones you see on distributor websites are just different packaging and gradings like automotive etc.

Just get the cheapest soic8 version

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #5,861 of 7,383
Yeah the different versions (so far) are just the package style and distribution type i.e. tape, reel, ammo pack, etc. (which only matters if you are using them professionally in machine assembly, etc.) other than some of those have an additional cost or minimum order quantity. Probably ones for grading like automotive as well but didn't really pay attention to that.

Look what the Easter Bunny brought this morning...

Nice.

Though I throw a fair amount of money at this hobby I'd really have to try before I bought for those heh - though the older ones were nice they didn't justify the cost for me over the alternatives.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #5,862 of 7,383
It's too early to comment really but I really do like them so far. Problem I have is I have been breaking in HD800S and all previous/recent OpAmp evaluation has been with HD800 so thought it would be sensible to stick with them. It's killing me looking at at the 800S but will drop critical OpAmp evaluation for a while tonight for a bit of fun listening...

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #5,863 of 7,383
Hi All

I've been lurking here and reading through the pages trying to glean some understanding and ideas for opamp mods. I recently ordered a Vishan V2 based on reviews and user feedback, but mostly overlooked any comments based on switching the opamp... then I started reading those... then I got it in my head that there was indeed doable/achievable 'tinker-room' with this device based on my resources (this place is very bad for that!...:p)

Anyway, I came across all the reviews for the Burson v5i, v5, and v6 variations and thought 'cool!... i could switch a chip and play...', then I looked at the cost to Canada. Given the Vishan was under $50CAD shipped I am hesitant to spend another ~$60+USD for an opamp to experiment with (with the reality that I may actually break both in the process).

The Z2 comes with a TI LM4562NA (which I am assuming is the same when referenced as a LM4562). I am looking for an upgrade that is good at presenting soundstage/detail/separation, but in a way where the listener is in the audience (vs 'on stage' not unlike the presentation given with Fiio X5 gen 1 LMH6643 used for headphone output (if I understand correctly) where the listener is 'in' the band).

I have read that possible affordable 'upgrades' would be opamps like:
- TI LME49720
- TI OPA1652
- TI LME4970

From what I can tell (through Mouser) these chips are more affordable/doable... I looked at options like MUSE as well but they are even more expensive than the Bursons.

(Yes... I know I don't even have the unit yet and don't actually know what it sounds like... this has more to do with the mod/tinker/just-because side of me... :D, either way, I would be ordering blind, though I won't )

If anyone has any other 'cost-effective' (as little as possible to ~$30 CAD delivered) suggestions this would be greatly appreciated! Or... if there is not really a good 'affordable' upgrade (anything worth doing is going to cost me) and I should just use as is, that wisdom would also be appreciated...

Thanks!

:)

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #5,864 of 7,383
Hi All

I've been lurking here and reading through the pages trying to glean some understanding and ideas for opamp mods. I recently ordered a Vishan V2 based on reviews and user feedback, but mostly overlooked any comments based on switching the opamp... then I started reading those... then I got it in my head that there was indeed doable/achievable 'tinker-room' with this device based on my resources (this place is very bad for that!...:p)

Anyway, I came across all the reviews for the Burson v5i, v5, and v6 variations and thought 'cool!... i could switch a chip and play...', then I looked at the cost to Canada. Given the Vishan was under $50CAD shipped I am hesitant to spend another ~$60+USD for an opamp to experiment with (with the reality that I may actually break both in the process).

The Z2 comes with a TI LM4562NA (which I am assuming is the same when referenced as a LM4562). I am looking for an upgrade that is good at presenting soundstage/detail/separation, but in a way where the listener is in the audience (vs 'on stage' not unlike the presentation given with Fiio X5 gen 1 LMH6643 used for headphone output (if I understand correctly) where the listener is 'in' the band).

I have read that possible affordable 'upgrades' would be opamps like:
- TI LME49720
- TI OPA1652
- TI LME4970

From what I can tell (through Mouser) these chips are more affordable/doable... I looked at options like MUSE as well but they are even more expensive than the Bursons.

(Yes... I know I don't even have the unit yet and don't actually know what it sounds like... this has more to do with the mod/tinker/just-because side of me... :D, either way, I would be ordering blind, though I won't )

If anyone has any other 'cost-effective' (as little as possible to ~$30 CAD delivered) suggestions this would be greatly appreciated! Or... if there is not really a good 'affordable' upgrade (anything worth doing is going to cost me) and I should just use as is, that wisdom would also be appreciated...

Thanks!

:)

Interesting to know the new batch of Z2 employs 4562. The old batch used 2604.

Perhaps, you may want to take a look at the OPA1662. It's less noisy than OPA1652 and it's more power efficient. However, you may as well want to check the input resistance to it. If it's > 5K, you may want to go for 1652 instead. Pls check the datasheet for detail. For 49720, you may want to try the metal cap version, LME49720HA or you may want look for LME49990 x 2 (you need 2 to work, pls check carefully). Moreover, you may want to get your hands onto the MUSES 8920, which some said it's the so-called downgraded MUSES01.

Just from the top of my head. There should be a long list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back