The Opamp thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #4,966 of 7,383
  Perhaps its not making good enough contact? The metal can legs are a bit thinner than regular DIP socket legs. Perhaps sanding the legs to make sure they are super clean and make sure you have positive contact in the socket. Otherwise.... solder it to a dip socket and try it then?

The contact is good, I solder it directly to the dip socket. However, I mix 2 dip-8 direct solder metal can with the good to-99 to dip-8 adaptor (same opamp) , and noticed that only one direct solder metal can causing the auto off. This particular one cannot run at high gain and it uses 'cheaper' dip-8 socket. It may be the dip-8 socket problem? I need to order new socket to confirm.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,967 of 7,383
Has anyone done a comparison of TPA6120A2 with the conventional opamp+buffer setup?

I am thinking to use it as output stage+AMP after a PCM5102A DAC chip. It looks good and some people on head-fi have reported it to be amazingly good. Though they also say that it might not be good enough for a BA IEM (I am planning to use with Planar magnetics a.w.a. BA, tricky design).

Also, if not TPA6120A2 then the conventional opamp + buffer solution I have in mind is with an AD opamp, since I want it to have an airiness in sound and good instrument separation, though I am not sure which buffer should I pair with so that I get very low output impedance and a pretty high drive strength too. I often go to headphone meetups where I will drive everything including AKG's hard to drive 'phhones to the over-sensitive multi-armature BA's like ATH-IM0X or Shure and also planar magnetics.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #4,969 of 7,383
Great then, for the differential AMP I will consider using OPA1612 or OPA2228. I hope it provides a clean, clear and natural sound with good bass and treble extension and great details. I just want a good airy soundstage and good instrument separation.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #4,970 of 7,383
  Great then, for the differential AMP I will consider using OPA1612 or OPA2228. I hope it provides a clean, clear and natural sound with good bass and treble extension and great details. I just want a good airy soundstage and good instrument separation.

2-3x 49600 per channel then? Haha.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #4,971 of 7,383

2-3x 49600 per channel then? Haha.

Haha

2x in parallel at the output would increase current drive and decrease the output impedance also 
tongue.gif

OTOH, I think a buffer is a must if I want a direct coupled output with no capacitors. If someone has tried an amp with a direct coupled (DC coupled) output with no capacitors and buffers then please let me know how it performs compared to a buffered output.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #4,972 of 7,383
Couple of months ago I bought a PCM5102A based USB DAC from China (aliexpress), it has a headphone OUT and a LINE OUT. Headphone OUT uses AD8397 at single ended supply ~VDD=3.5V. So in order to just roll this with another opamp I ordered OPA2365, it works at that voltage fine but has a lower PSRR, which means I might need to add another bypass cap over it's pins. It sounds good for now, actually just satisfactory, just slightly better than my HTC Desire 820 Dual SIM.

I hope OPA2365 makes a difference, once I roll it I will let you know the first listening experience and also how it sounds after completing a week in that circuit. (The amp circuit actually is a Cmoy circuit)

What are the general impressions on OPA2365?

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,976 of 7,383
The chips in that first link could be fake.  The second one matches TI's printing, no guarantees though, especially at that price, unless they bought a few thousand from a distributor or TI or something.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #4,977 of 7,383
Apparently MA & MAX come with different markings but anyway I'll just get them off digikey in order to ensure that I don't buy vintage 5534's with fake writings ^^

Gotta love fake BB holders for metal canned 6xx's on ebay, priceless hah.....especially as they should be light gray and they're black hah.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #4,979 of 7,383
I can no longer find sellers carrying the adapter shown below, the one that has the 797 soic chips next to each other.
Anyone know who carries it these days?  I only have one that I put OPA209s on.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4,980 of 7,383
Finally find a nice combination on alo the island. CS4398 - AD8599 as LPF - AD8599 as gain (+BG Nx HQ 0.47uf at 4-8). sounds spacious yet maintain intimate vocal, smooth and detail. 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back