The Opamp thread
May 24, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #4,892 of 7,383
hi guys I'm a bit confused about speaker position feature in the sound blaster zxr, could it be possible somebody more experienced in this matter could guide me on this, my speakers are not in ideal positioning due space issues in my room and I want to use this feature to maximize my sound performance, but not sure about "ideal listening position" this manual stated, how should I do this measures?

May 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #4,893 of 7,383
I have been wondering if it would be worth changing the opamp in the cMoyBB I just built a few weeks ago. I have tried doing some searches and have no idea which ones would be good to try. Preferably ones that would not require a mod to fit but I guess I would consider it. Really like soundstage and prefer neutral sound I think. Some bass, but detailed and not silly.

May 24, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,894 of 7,383
Its always worth a roll! Been a while since I built a cmoy. But lm4562 or lm47920 is always a good choice for clarity and neutrality, maybe tending a little lean. AD8620 had a fuller, warmer sound.

May 24, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #4,895 of 7,383
Its always worth a roll! Been a while since I built a cmoy. But lm4562 or lm47920 is always a good choice for clarity and neutrality, maybe tending a little lean. AD8620 had a fuller, warmer sound.

In a cmoy the AD8620 takes some beating as it is really nicely balanced 'fairly' reasonable to buy and not too current hungry. I personally love AD744 chips but they are not readily available anymore and man they drink the juice.... I have these in my P4 and Fi-quest amps.

May 24, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #4,896 of 7,383
Thanks guys! Does it matter if they are the ARZ or BRZ because the only difference I see is B is double the price. $15.35 is a decent price for one of these?

May 25, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #4,898 of 7,383
  Thanks guys! Does it matter if they are the ARZ or BRZ because the only difference I see is B is double the price. $15.35 is a decent price for one of these?

B-spec opamps are either higher binned, or specifically trimmed for better DC specs. AC performance is what matters for audio.
For typical audio applications, I can't see a valid reason to pay the extra, go with A-spec.

May 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #4,899 of 7,383
  B-spec opamps are either higher binned, or specifically trimmed for better DC specs. AC performance is what matters for audio.
For typical audio applications, I can't see a valid reason to pay the extra, go with A-spec.

That is good to know because that's what I would probably be ordering out of the 2. I might see if any others seem good but thats probably the one from the sound of it. The OPA2277P chip included in the kit sounds pretty good, just wanted an upgrade option.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #4,903 of 7,383
I found a correlation in a CMOS op amp for pH sensor buffering - the lower Vos spec parts had the best CMRR/CM linearity - it was a very pretty parabolic function of Vos over several batches of parts - the CMRR boost was enough to make the low Vos  part meet our spec even though the datasheet speced CMRR didn't

of course you have to talk to the manufacturer's engineers, learn whether the part is selected or trimmed in production to decide to put your confidence in the correlation

the "lesson" for this thread - some "conventional engineers" do select parts for the application, often going beyond datasheet info for the application circuit's, product's performance demands

if you want to "improve" a circuit with op amp rolling you should expect to need to know the circuit and the op amp's used and available for rolling at least as well as the product design engineer

otherwise blind op amp rolling is just a variation on the million monkey theorem https://www.google.com/#q=million+monkey+theorem

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,904 of 7,383
  ...  the "lesson" for this thread - some "conventional engineers" do select parts for the application, often going beyond datasheet info for the application circuit's, product's performance demands ...

Not unheard of, at least to me.

... otherwise blind op amp rolling is just a variation on the [infinite] monkey theorem...

That is stated, just not in the same exact words as you have.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,905 of 7,383
the "infinite" reformulation doesn't capture the idea I am after - with infinite monkeys you certainly get Shakespeare - lost folio and all - in fact if you number your monkeys some sequential run of them do it on their 1st keystroke read in sequence

with "just' a million monkeys typing at a physically practical rate you have to wait long enough to see if protons really decay or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back