The Opamp thread
Aug 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #346 of 7,383
Hmm, ah well, I soldered the AD797ARZ's in my Corda Meier Move just now and they make the Grado SR80 sound amazing!

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #348 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you get them? what price?

I contacted Analog in The Netherlands and requested some sample opamps.
They sent me two (I asked for six total) and I didn't have to pay a thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Try to contact AD in your country for some samples that aren't available at the site.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #349 of 7,383
Google Translatefound these in my web travels, and think they would be interesting for finicky opamps. this is the english translation, if i got it right. any thoughts, help from anyone in sweden re: pricing and availability? reputation of this company??

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #350 of 7,383
@Bonthouse: ok cool, I'll do that! by email?

BTW, what's the diff between U and UA on TI op-amps? Precision Amplifiers - Low Offset Voltage - OPA228 - TI.com

they don't say anything in the PDF, and they only offer the cheaper UA as free sample.

and AD doesn't say anything in the PDF about the different grades of the 797 : AD797 | Ultralow Distortion, Ultralow Noise Op Amp | Military/Aerospace | Other | Analog Devices

more expensive = better, but why?

I've also called LT to know why it was taking a month to get samples, and they told me that they receive them from Singapore...and then they have to package them and ship them from your local country, so it takes forever...plus they don't bother putting the DIP8 parts in plastic holders, so they're completely mashed up and require pliers to unfold them
rolleyes.gif

and when you read stuff like this, you realize that rolling op-amps on a board you know nothing about...and without an oscilloscope, is a terrible hit & miss :

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #351 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Bonthouse: ok cool, I'll do that! by email?

I went at them like crazy! Email, phone and even snailmail!

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #352 of 7,383
Aug 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #354 of 7,383
Aug 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #355 of 7,383
I think the diff between A and B is the same as between the LT1469-1 and LT1469-2, -2 is faster but requires a gain of 2 or more...so I think AD797A will be more "universal" than B
redface.gif

ahhh, these datasheets are giving me headaches
evil_smiley.gif

and anyway I think I love the LT1358IN8, I don't wanna lose my sanity in all that op-amp mumbo jumbo
biggrin.gif

I believe I need the gain bandwidth to be as low as possible(nothing more than 30Mhz or so, considering the stock 2114D were 15Mhz, and that my soundcard has crappy sockets), and unity gain stable at 1(not the case of the AD797B
confused.gif
)

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #356 of 7,383
You don't read carefully, guys.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a minimum open loop gain which is a strictly op-amp parameter, not a circuit parameter. The higher, the better. Just look, it's V/uV which means minimum is 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 V/V respectively. 'B' series is suitable for unity gains, too.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #357 of 7,383
Guys, I would like some opinion, I just bought X-Fi Elite Pro, the stock sound is excellent, but only a bit muddy because stock caps and opamp, but I do have some spare opamp to replaced, which is LME49720, LME49723 (slightly worse than the former), LT1364. Which one is the best choice?

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #358 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I would like some opinion, I just bought X-Fi Elite Pro, the stock sound is excellent, but only a bit muddy because stock caps and opamp, but I do have some spare opamp to replaced, which is LME49720, LME49723 (slightly worse than the former), LT1364. Which one is the best choice?

With that card many have been using the LM4562MA for upgrading the circuit,
The LME49720 you have are the same unit. Those opamps should give you a noticable upgrade in sound quality.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #359 of 7,383
I have been doing this all wrong for ages
frown.gif
and I've only just found out. I have a Ibasso P3 & P3+ and never thought to put the supplied dummy adapters in the ground channels on either one. I did this a few nights back and realise I haven't been purely listening to the actual opamps in L/R as the ground channel adds something.

The upshot is I am loving opamps that I never really rated before because for want of a better word their sound was 'tainted' by what ever was in ground or Virtual Ground (usually AD797's). Now don't get me wrong there are a few opamps that benefit from the addition of opamps in ground but I'm using the amps without at the moment and for the forseable future.

Humble pie time for me I'm afraid, one of the finest sounding opamps to my ears NOW is the OPA211 but I also find the LME49722 real nice also. These 2 are my favourites at present. For anyone interested I'm using BUF634's (Hi-C) but no opamps in G/V. More isn't always better!! just took me a while to discover that.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #360 of 7,383
Atleast you figured it out and now you can go back to testing all over again. Sounds like fun to me!

The OPA211's are nice, if you can try out the LME49710HA's. I am unsure if your application is dual or single channel but the 710HA's are single channel TO-99's.

The OPA211's are nice though as you said, I have been testing alot latley with a bunch of new opamps I built a couple weeks back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back