The Opamp thread
Oct 27, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #3,511 of 7,383
LME 49720NA - just put it in my miu audio amp, it is very nice sounding, very natural, gives the sound more air and more space, bass goes deeper, but also makes it sound more musical. im really liking this opamp compared to the stock that came with the MIU amp. now awaiting my AD823, see what thats like.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #3,512 of 7,383
i saw people saying that the LME i have is harsh sounding in some soundcards, but in my portable amp it isnt, it is detailed, natural sounding, gives a bit more body to the bass, but overall a very nice sounding opamp.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #3,513 of 7,383

Quote:
i saw people saying that the LME i have is harsh sounding in some soundcards, but in my portable amp it isnt, it is detailed, natural sounding, gives a bit more body to the bass, but overall a very nice sounding opamp.

I agree too.  I have been running a LME49720 in my stand-alone amp for the last few months and have noticed the added detail and clarity.  I suspect that the complaints about harshness may be due to it revealing undesirable aspects elsewhere in the system.  I believe it depends a lot on the quality of its power supply.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3,514 of 7,383
my iPod has mainly 320kbps or apple lossless for the music i really like, some others are lower bit rate but havent listend to them yet.
Also i love the instrument separation and soundstage. Mine is run off a normal 9v battery, but works fine, and can run the battery to lower voltage than the stock opamp i had.

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #3,515 of 7,383

Quote:
my iPod has mainly 320kbps or apple lossless for the music i really like, some others are lower bit rate but havent listend to them yet.
Also i love the instrument separation and soundstage. Mine is run off a normal 9v battery, but works fine, and can run the battery to lower voltage than the stock opamp i had.

I think you're going to like the AD 823 more!!!  If you can solder SOIC devices to an adaptor definately give ADA 4627-1B version a try!
I cant comment on the AD823 but the LME49720 is ahead of most BB apart from the OPA 827

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #3,516 of 7,383
Tried out LT1057 but I had the CN8 and not the ACN8 which is the better model of the Two, I didnt like the results when it was paired with the 2x LME 49720NA and 2x LME49710NA  with the LT1057CN8 in my Fiio E9. So I put the OP2107AP in it that i had earlier but I also changed the Buffers in my X-Fi HD to 2xLT1028ACN8 i Do like this combo, But I didnt try the same with the LT1057CN8 in my Fiio E9, The results should be better then it was with the 2x LME49710NA in my card bufers with the LT1028ACN8.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3,517 of 7,383
Hello,

I am planning to replace opamps in my Onix XCD-88 cd player and I think I am in need of four OPA627 (AP or BP) and two BrownDog adapters; but have several questions in my mind:

1. Is this the adapter: http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapter-dipversionpn021001.aspx OR do I need something else?
2. What exactly is a DIP socket - should it be installed on the adapter (for additional $6 I believe in the above link)?
3. Any recommendations on the opamp selection (other than the 627) for the Onix XCD-88?

Sorry for my noob questions. Thanks in advance...

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #3,518 of 7,383

Quote:
Hello,

I am planning to replace opamps in my Onix XCD-88 cd player and I think I am in need of four OPA627 (AP or BP) and two BrownDog adapters; but have several questions in my mind:

1. Is this the adapter: http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapter-dipversionpn021001.aspx OR do I need something else?
2. What exactly is a DIP socket - should it be installed on the adapter (for additional $6 I believe in the above link)?
3. Any recommendations on the opamp selection (other than the 627) for the Onix XCD-88?

Sorry for my noob questions. Thanks in advance...

Dip socket is on http://cimarrontechnology.com/othercomponents.aspx, you are going to need 2 of these for this single to double adapter if you use OPA 627. 
The OPA 627 are expensive and are typical BB sound and are warm.  Depending on what you are trying to acheive and what was in it originally it is hard to tell. 
The OPA 827 is in my opinion a better and cheaper option but only comes in SOIC.  See http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapterpn020302.aspx
If you want better then you haver to steer away from BB but these are safe and easy to install and operate without getting into stability issues!

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #3,519 of 7,383

Quote:
LME 49720NA - just put it in my miu audio amp, it is very nice sounding, very natural, gives the sound more air and more space, bass goes deeper, but also makes it sound more musical. im really liking this opamp compared to the stock that came with the MIU amp. now awaiting my AD823, see what thats like.

same as mine, that's why preferred to you, bro. I like lme49720na' sound too 

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #3,520 of 7,383
i agreed to ecohifi too, try opa827 + adapter or if you don't want too much complicate, then try lme49720na

Quote:
Dip socket is on http://cimarrontechnology.com/othercomponents.aspx, you are going to need 2 of these for this single to double adapter if you use OPA 627. 
The OPA 627 are expensive and are typical BB sound and are warm.  Depending on what you are trying to acheive and what was in it originally it is hard to tell. 
The OPA 827 is in my opinion a better and cheaper option but only comes in SOIC.  See http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapterpn020302.aspx
If you want better then you haver to steer away from BB but these are safe and easy to install and operate without getting into stability issues!

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #3,521 of 7,383

Quote:

Thank you very much for the advice. I am little bit thick headed nowadays and have several more questions - clarification requests per say. If I go with the 2x OPA 627 (A-B-C-M whatever) selection, do I need to buy 2 adapters and 4 dip sockets - would you please confirm?  

And for the second question, originally, XCD-88 (rebadged musichall cd-25) uses 2604s.

The system I will be using this cd player is either (xcd88>>stello da100>>schiit lyr with GE 6BZ7 tubes>>lcd2 rev1) or (xcd88>>onix sp3 tube amp with various tubes>>strata mini or stone image audio rothschilde A2 speakers)[size=x-small].[/size]  

For both of the system, mainly I am looking for more detail and/or resolution (rather than making it more musical or colorful); but I do not want to cannibalize the bass-mid response since they are great for my taste as is. I am also contemplating the idea of buying aftermarket cables since almost everything is in stock form (rather than changing the op amps).

Thanks again.
Cheers.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #3,522 of 7,383

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice. I am little bit thick headed nowadays and have several more questions - clarification requests per say. If I go with the 2x OPA 627 (A-B-C-M whatever) selection, do I need to buy 2 adapters and 4 dip sockets - would you please confirm?  

For both of the system, mainly I am looking for more detail and/or resolution (rather than making it more musical or colorful); but I do not want to cannibalize the bass-mid response since they are great for my taste as is. I am also contemplating the idea of buying aftermarket cables since almost everything is in stock form (rather than changing the op amps).

Yes, you will need 2 adapters and 4 dip sockets if you go with the OPA 627 dip version.

For detail/resolution the OPA 627 A series will not give you that and I didn't find them very resolving and detailed, initial inpressions and confirmation with other opamps i have tried.  Like you I tried the OPA 627 first because of the buzz people on other sites were giving it. 
The OPA 827/1612/1642 series is far more resolving and like others on this thread try the LMEs. And when you are done with those move onto the ADIs.  Most BB apart from the 827 have a typical BB sound and the 627 is the most vealed out of the lot with good mids and powerful base and no resolution.

Changing the opamps will give you huge change in SQ than changing a cable!

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #3,523 of 7,383
guess these would not be good opamps for a vegetarian!

Quote:
Most BB apart from the 827 have a typical BB sound and the 627 is the most vealed out of the lot with good mids and powerful base and no resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back