The Opamp thread
Apr 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2,536 of 7,383
OPA2132P is a very cheap solution for hifi sound IMHO...if you can use LT1364 to feed it, it will sound fantastic to most non-OCD'ed ppl
charles%20k.gif

I regularly exchange emails w/ Andrea, it's a shame he's banned on so many forums
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2,537 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regularly exchange emails w/ Andrea, it's a shame he's banned on so many forums
frown.gif

x2 I quite enjoyed the banter and enjoyed trying some of his ideas...

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #2,538 of 7,383
Quote:

OPA2132P is a very cheap solution for hifi sound IMHO...

I believe the OPA2132P and OPA2132AP are out of production. Only the SMD versions are available.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2,539 of 7,383
well, it's not world class either...it's just a good cheap opamp for non too demanding ppl.

anyway, I just went from this: to this:

there is no question that the sound is clearer and less distorted(I used Cardas eutectic solder, and the highest grade of gold plated Mill-Max sockets on the left picture) w/o the additional sockets(they're fed ±12V from a linear regulated DPS)
evil_smiley.gif

there's an audio repair shop owner around my place who told me that ditching sockets was a necessary evil, and that they should only be used for deciding about a final choice...he said it'd cost me $15/20 bucks for him to ditch sockets using a hot air gun and stuff...I'll go there ASAP, as nothing tops that holy 1028A to my ears anyway
normal_smile .gif

and tomorrow I'm getting a tube amp, a new era of rolling is arising: Little Country III Tube Headphone Amplifier

yummy
drasche.gif
:
images

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #2,540 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by netsky3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who knows the OPA2132-34?

Both are really considered generic audio opamps now. Reasonable "burr-brown" sound signature that many like.
They have tubby type of bass and glossy high range...reasonable for audio for many designers but there are higher grade units out there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the OPA2132P and OPA2132AP are out of production. Only the SMD versions are available.

I think many just went to the OPA2134 for a similar sound. Some like those better and some do not.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #2,541 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion is not so good but here is an objective article: Tangent

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still like the OPA132AU as recommended by your friend and mine Andrea
eek.gif

Quote:

OPA2132P is a very cheap solution for hifi sound IMHO...if you can use LT1364 to feed it, it will sound fantastic to most non-OCD'ed ppl
charles%20k.gif

frown.gif

Thanks..
I've bought a 2134 for few dollars on ebay, i'll use on my oatley kit.
The stock opamp is worse in any case
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2,542 of 7,383
humm 2134P/PA are unbearable compared to 2132P...there are 4 chips coming from the same waffer, 2132P is the highest grade of the 4(and it's audible too!)

but better, put two OPA132U on a browndog...better stereo separation
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2,543 of 7,383
I haven't listened OPA2132 for awhile. But I think they are muddy in the bass section but easy to listen, not too many details, highs are fuzzy and not exact or sharp, but punchy.

BTW I epoxied that DIP to SOIC tower to my X-FI PCB. The solder joints are now under thick layer of epoxy, but they are shiny and conduct very well. At least these results speak for good contact.
http://i39.tinypic.com/1zx4d1e.jpg
THD is 0.0016% with ADA4898-1

Actually it is so transparent experience (ADA4627-1 on PPAv2) that I get listening fatigue pretty fast. I don't know if I should make the sound worse somehow :p

I am pretty proud that I can do what bichi can do (to X-FI). I lose some technical quality because I am just practicing and don't have sharp enough iron tip.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #2,544 of 7,383
Quote:

I'll go there ASAP, as nothing tops that holy 1028A to my ears anyway
normal_smile .gif

and tomorrow I'm getting a tube amp, a new era of rolling is arising: Little Country III Tube Headphone Amplifier

yummy
drasche.gif
:
images

Oh is that LT1028 so heavenly good? Isn't that pretty old op amp (datasheet says 1992?) ?

What kind characteristic that LT1028 have? Can you hear it, or is it clear as just washed window?

The more transparent op amp is, the harder it is to evaluate the sound characteristics.

Oh tube rolling would be way to high distortion when compared to good op amps.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #2,546 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it is so transparent experience (ADA4627-1 on PPAv2) that I get listening fatigue pretty fast. I don't know if I should make the sound worse somehow :p

yes, a lot of those uber-low THD+N opamps quickly become unbearable to listen to...anyway, I'm floored by the SQ of 1028A w/o sockets, oh my oh my
tt%20tt%20dago%20tt.gif

Andrea tells me that soldering them on the board for good might rise regrets afterwards, haha...sounds about right!

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #2,547 of 7,383
Quote:

Oh is that LT1028 so heavenly good? Isn't that pretty old op amp (datasheet says 1992?) ?

What kind characteristic that LT1028 have? Can you hear it, or is it clear as just washed window?

The more transparent op amp is, the harder it is to evaluate the sound characteristics.

Oh tube rolling would be way to high distortion when compared to good op amps.

I think majkel nailed it down pretty well in his comparison thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...1/#post5238657

well, experience has taught me that measurements don't mean jack as far as SQ is concerned....and that newer hardly ever means better either in the audio world
evil_smiley.gif

the 1028A is well worth a roll IMHO, it is most likely going to stay in my Spitfire DAC for a (long) while...it just sounds heavenly good
darthsmile.gif

it's got very analog sounding and highly detailed mids, highly percussive low end bass, a triangular shaped SS that's too awesome on headphones(free xfeed my friend
smily_headphones1.gif
), and the trebles are slightly recessed(which is great on headphones) yet very detailed.

Ray Samuels tried to put it in words too: REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 - SGHeadphones
Quote:

As Mr. Samuels once remarked, the LT1028 is like putting sugar all over your sound. It has a very liquid, sweet, and warm midrange that exhibits sharp bass and treble roll off. Unlike the Analog Devices op-amps, it is not dark. In fact, low level details flow through with greater clarity and definition.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #2,548 of 7,383
Quote:

I haven't listened OPA2132 for awhile. But I think they are muddy in the bass section but easy to listen, not too many details, highs are fuzzy and not exact or sharp, but punchy.

BTW I epoxied that DIP to SOIC tower to my X-FI PCB. The solder joints are now under thick layer of epoxy, but they are shiny and conduct very well. At least these results speak for good contact.
http://i39.tinypic.com/1zx4d1e.jpg
THD is 0.0016% with ADA4898-1

I am pretty proud that I can do what bichi can do (to X-FI). I lose some technical quality because I am just practicing and don't have sharp enough iron tip.

Yes, I find many of the Burr-Brown opamps have a similar signature. The "burr Brown" sound. I have heard it described as tubby bass and glossy high range.
There are much higher quality units to be found then the 2132 or 2134...

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #2,549 of 7,383
I will get three OPA637 tomorrow.

Those are my first OPA627/OPA637 op amps.

I was bit hasty and didn't understand that I would need them both to my amplifier and to my source (X-FI dac filter).

Where you think I should put them if I wanted to hear them?

I think ADA4898-1 is extremely transparent, but a bit dark and sterile (bipolar) on my X-FI.

On my PPA v2 I have ADA4627-1 which is more fluent and kind of softer, being a JFET amplifier.

I want to have good feel how OPA637 sound but it seems so difficult to distinct it from either of these ADA4627-1 or ADA4898-1

I think ADA4627-1 is more transparent one.

But where to put OPA637AU?

BTW. Extremely cheap I got them, only 2.68€ piece!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back