The Opamp thread
Jul 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #166 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 2111 seems perfectly balanced with my portable set up and whilst not a natural sounding chip it colours the main genre I listen to beautifully (Trance/Downtempo/Psy-dub/IDM etc....).

yes, definitely not all-arounders! and on many songs they sound thin and dull compared to the 49720NA IMHO...they're not hi-fi on steroid, they don't impress me.
Quote:

What's this Gods Word thing about?

just me playing around
biggrin.gif

Andreas has created at least 200 accounts here on head-fi, so when 200 -not so- different ppl keep saying the exact same rehashed thing...it gives more weight to his word, seen from the outside at least
normal_smile .gif

apparently the witch hunting is nothing new : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4353557-post3652.html

it's still my opinion that it'd be far more efficient to buy a bunch of burson than doing an endless comparison of imperfect tiny $5 chips...they just seem to get EVERYTHING right
very_evil_smiley.gif

pricey? yes....but how pricey is US $150 for two dual if they're really perfect
devil_face.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #167 of 7,383
Quote:

Anyhow, I don't dislike the 211. It's just that the 2111 seems perfectly balanced with my portable set up and whilst not a natural sounding chip it colours the main genre I listen to beautifully (Trance/Downtempo/Psy-dub/IDM etc....).

Interesting... what sort of coloration are we talking about? More bass? More detail?

My own preferences tend toward detail, resolution, and neutrality, and less coloration.... though some coloration can be pleasing. After making some comparisons, I found that the LM/LME parts seemed a bit less "alive" and natural sounding when compared with the OPA211/2211A. IMO, parts like the TL072 have sort of a warm, fuzzy sound which some might like, while I find them veiled in the highs and low in resolution - even the OPA2134/OPA2604 seem to fit into that category, if considerably more resolving than the former.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #170 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... what sort of coloration are we talking about? More bass? More detail?

Some OpAmps add colour but emphasize certain tones or dynamics that make music you listen to and know well sound too different or even odd in extreme cases. The 2111 is one of the few OpAmps I have tried that colours enough to make this music sound 'Pleasantly' different. If resolution is your bag I think you would like this OpAmp as this is something important with the type of music I listen to. It is detailed and dynamic almost perfect in the right set up 'for me' anyhow. I would consisder this OpAmp a gem at more than twice the price.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #171 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by diditmyself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good deal of output current. The alternative is to use any opamp and buffer it. Since the opamps are sinking and sourcing the return currents I guess it should sound good as well.

Sound doesn't matter, the op-amps used in the power supply are not critical said KG, I'm just lloking for something that won't burn (24V at the input, ±24V).

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #172 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluto2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burson opamp?
You may want to refer to the Audio-Gd opamp thread.....I think they are the OEM.....

that's an urban legend I'm afraid...it doesn't seem to hold true for the new burson anyway.

but they make crazy mark-ups, you're paying for R&D basically....the parts would be $25 or so
rolleyes.gif

the OPA2111KP has some major lack in the mids on my system, like a lack of resolution?! sound is thin here...but the bass is out of this world
regular_smile .gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #173 of 7,383
Quote:

Some OpAmps add colour but emphasize certain tones or dynamics that make music you listen to and know well sound too different or even odd in extreme cases. The 2111 is one of the few OpAmps I have tried that colours enough to make this music sound 'Pleasantly' different. If resolution is your bag I think you would like this OpAmp as this is something important with the type of music I listen to. It is detailed and dynamic almost perfect in the right set up 'for me' anyhow. I would consisder this OpAmp a gem at more than twice the price.

Thanks!

Have you tried OPA827 or OPA2107 (the latter appears somewhat related to the OPA2111 as it is also a Difet)? In general, I've found FET-input devices somewhat less resolving than BJT, which tend to be clearer.... although the OPA827 sounds pretty open and natural, IMO. Actually, I didn't like it that much at first because it sounded kind of "plain", but after more listening, I heard what I take to be a rather uncolored sound.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #174 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

Have you tried OPA827 or OPA2107

I have the OPA2107 and really like it a lot. The OPA827's were ordered at the same time as my 2111 from TI.com (thanks Leeperry) but are on backorder so I will get to try them soon.

I'm compiling a list of other must haves to try.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #175 of 7,383
Quote:

I'm compiling a list of other must haves to try.

I'm awaiting :
LT1355CN8
LT1028ACN8
LT1364CN8
LT1229CN8
LT1358IN8
LT1361CN8
LT1469IN8
LT1469IN8 (1469-2)

but I'll prolly end up ordering Earth Audio-GD or burson's anyway
happy_face1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #178 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked around a bit at the Burson site... so how would one go about installing these?? Would they go into an DIP8 socket or what?

Depending on what your connecting them to they may just pop right in as they are in Dip8 format.
For many applications though you require extension wires which they should also sell. They allow you to move the unit around.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #179 of 7,383
Move which unit- the opamp unit or the actual device that the opamp is in?\

By the way, looking at pictures here they hardly look like they are DIP8. So you're saying they would fit into this sort of DIP8 socket?

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #180 of 7,383
hummm, there's a guy on this link who says that he prefered his metal 4562 over the OPA Earth : www.review33.com:影音天地

Quote:

this is the orignal metal can LM4562 that the audio-gd opamp replaced. They are very good already. At this stage i can't say 100% sure that the discrete sounds a alot better than the LM4562 but there is a difference which i am not able to put in words at this stage. The LM4562 has a very "hifi" type of sound and you thought you are listening to sacd of the same recording. The discrete opamp however has a more analogue sound and may give you an illusion that they are less detailed than LM4562 but in fact all the details are there.

and I've read the same story on a french forum....the guy seemed to prefer the LT1028(better soundstage, better bass) over the Earth and the 4562(bloated bass he said, which is true) in his Rotel CD Player....humm, I can't wait for my LT1028ACN8 samples at this point
beerchug.gif

it would also appear that Sun is better choice than Earth because it works in Class A..

PS: another one:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ct=clnk

Quote:

I found out I prefer Zhaolu D2.5A over Zhaolu D3, and how LM4562 has more "space" and "speed" over OPA-Earth, despite the fact that both were supposed to be more expensive upgrades.

http://wwenze.blogspot.com/search/la...max-results=20
Quote:

I remember what happened when I replaced my LM4562 with the OPA-Earth: sound is brought more forward, soundstage is flatter, not good in terms of space. And I'm not the only person with this observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back