The Opamp thread
Jul 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #136 of 7,383
Anyone noticed much (any?) difference between LME49710 (single) and LME49720 (dual)?

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #137 of 7,383
ok cool! well I've seen some ppl being more inventive than using these...and that'd have been far easier to solder.

anyway, I've been using the 2111 for +1 day, the bass is simply fantastic....but the mids lack something, I don't really know what it is...they're not "astonishing" as they are on the 4562/49720
redface.gif

I'm hoping the 1358/1364/1028ACN8 that I should get anytime soon will be a nice in-between the 4562 mids and the 2111 killer bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #138 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone noticed much (any?) difference between LME49710 (single) and LME49720 (dual)?

I don't have the dual version to compare but in theory there shouldn't be a noticable difference unless you run the singles in Class A which I find makes a difference in a good way to all singles I've tried.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #140 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and I prefer the 710's.
wink.gif

Okay, I'll bite. Why?

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #141 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the dual version to compare but in theory there shouldn't be a noticable difference unless you run the singles in Class A which I find makes a difference in a good way to all singles I've tried.

Your using a adapter, with some resistors to bias the opamps into Class A operation?

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #142 of 7,383
Yes but you can do a neater more permanent job with the smd resistors but as they are about as big as a grain of sand I prefer these.

I thought I had some pics but don't. If anyone wants to see them Ill take some and post them up.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #143 of 7,383
Quote:

Is there a reason to believe in a difference between a single or a dual opamp in this respect or any respect at all? Is there a reason to believe "class A" biasing of opamps will improve the sound? If a typical buffer is used, with an input impedance of at least 10 MOhm, wouldn't the opamp already be operating in class A?

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #144 of 7,383
Since here is an Op-amp thread, I won't be off-topic. I'm looking for the cheapest op-amp to use in the Dynalo power supply. What kind of characteristics should I be looking at ? (slew rate, output current...)

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #146 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since here is an Op-amp thread, I won't be off-topic. I'm looking for the cheapest op-amp to use in the Dynalo power supply. What kind of characteristics should I be looking at ? (slew rate, output current...)

A good deal of output current. The alternative is to use any opamp and buffer it. Since the opamps are sinking and sourcing the return currents I guess it should sound good as well.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #147 of 7,383
Quote:

Yes but you can do a neater more permanent job with the smd resistors but as they are about as big as a grain of sand I prefer these.

I thought I had some pics but don't. If anyone wants to see them Ill take some and post them up.

Sure I would be interested in seeing those Mods...

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #148 of 7,383
Ok, now where did I put that flame proof jacket?

Let me start by saying I am not a technical bod but I do have a gift (or a curse), which is a critical ear. I don't know if it is a thing learned over time or just the fact that I have a highly perseptive sense. Either way it's there.

I was once told that if it sounds good to you then it's good. Even if on paper (spec sheets) it shouldn't. Now with that covered and all you test geeks at the ready with your Multi Meters & Flame Throwers
tongue.gif
here are some pics of some Class A and some OBCA (Output Bypassed + Class A) AD744's.

Obviously there are neater ways of doing this especially if you are using SOIC on Brown Dogs. HiFlight (Ron Kerlin) makes and sells the nice neat modules and is far more qualified to comment on the pros and cons of using them.

Just for reference I have only ever used these in my P3 and P3+ so can't tell you how they fair in different circuits or amps.

Class A Adapters (AD8610's)
P1010115.jpg

OBCA AD744's
P1010119.jpg

Favourites
P1010120.jpg

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #149 of 7,383
I also think I have a critical ear, like most of us do, and I used to believe my amps sounded a lot better when I class A biased the opamps. Then I realised that it's very easy to do this trick live, going back and forth between "class A" and "AB". So I did and now I'm a nonbeliever. There was absolutely no difference at all. I've tried it with both a simple resistor and with active current sources - no difference. Belief is a mighty power. One more thing, just because a trick is audible doesn't mean it's for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back