The one problem with Audiophilia as a hobby. . . (besides the money)
Dec 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
Today I deposited all of my christmas money  and bought the Klipsch Custom 3s from Adorama Camera.  I have been enamored by these things for months, and now that I finally have the money and resolved to pull the trigger. . . I have to wait a week for shipping!

Ah!  Why can't high-end audio equipment be sold in stores across the nation?  Waiting for my Denon AHD 2000s took FOREVER, waiting for my Fiio E7 took FOREVER.

So I have a feeling about how this week will go. . .

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 23
At least in Sweden, the demand for hifi stuff is small, thus resulting in very few stores having products that you'd like to buy, and the few stores that have them usually are only web or with so ridiculusly high prices that you often can save more than $100 - $150 by ordering from eg. Germany.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
At least in Sweden, the demand for hifi stuff is small, thus resulting in very few stores having products that you'd like to buy, and the few stores that have them usually are only web or with so ridiculusly high prices that you often can save more than $100 - $150 by ordering from eg. Germany.

All right, I do feel better after reading that.  At least in the United States we have plenty of hi-fi demand, and plenty of websites willing to sell cheap. 

I guess I just can't fight the feeling of wanting them now. . . feels like I'm ten years old all over again. . .

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Well, uh, space is a problem, and wall sockets (you'll need wall taps).
Also comprehension from the people around you, maybe. Although I got used to "Why are you still listening to a CD" and such.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Not enough fine single ladies

XDD...that made me really laugh for a second there, actually, not enough fine single ladies minus the first two words

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 23
Also, most other hobbies invite social interaction.  Listening to headphones is an inherently solitary experience. 

And yea, I thought women liked to listen to music, too?  What gives?

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Also, most other hobbies invite social interaction.  Listening to headphones is an inherently solitary experience. 

And yea, I thought women liked to listen to music, too?  What gives?

through bose and stock earbuds...like most everyone else

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Quote:
Not enough fine single ladies

XDD...that made me really laugh for a second there, actually, not enough fine single ladies minus the first two words

Well, actualy I Dj at a gaybar, (get payed $400 on fridays for it) and I meet a shitload of straight single girls
who like music, yet aren't audiophiles

But, it's hard to walk off with a woman form a gaybar and not get strange looks

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 23
BotByte, your post reminds me of Electric 6.

Online retail has pretty much killed the audio salon. Rents and expenses for bricks'n'mortar continue to go up and online stores can offer lower prices. It's hard to keep a commercial property going when online sellers undercut you.

Interest in hi-fi has dropped a lot from where it used to be. There just aren't enough sales to support storefronts. Also, a lot of audiophiles are happy with their systems. I haven't bought in 18 months and don't know when I will again. I'd love to see a local store, but it probably wouldn't earn much from me.

The only practical solution is having a meet.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #13 of 23
There are two (2) Grado retailers in Quebec City. Fine, they don't sell just Grados. Well you march in there and every Grado phone is about 1.5x the price of American RRP (MSRP?) but hey, once you take into account that $40 UPS shipping + God-knows-how-much brokerage fee, it's about the same.
There aren't much demand for Hi-Fi in Quebec City, period. That's mostly Montreal where you actually have a Lamborghini retailer. You have three (3) Hi-Fi retailers, two of 'em sells headphones and I know only two (2) men here who can repair a 40 years-old amp. Speaking of which I better get my Lloyd's fixed up...
And good luck having a meet in Quebec City. Not gonna go all the way to Montreal (or Longueil) for a meet.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 23
I like not having to patronise the B&M snob shops where one is greeted and lectured by an effeminate geek as to why anything but what they sell is garbage.
Online buying is a godsend to the consumer. I've found Amazon and Buy.com to be the fastest shippers, as I usually get stuff from them in 3-4 days.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
BotByte, your post reminds me of Electric 6.

Online retail has pretty much killed the audio salon. Rents and expenses for bricks'n'mortar continue to go up and online stores can offer lower prices. It's hard to keep a commercial property going when online sellers undercut you.

Interest in hi-fi has dropped a lot from where it used to be. There just aren't enough sales to support storefronts. Also, a lot of audiophiles are happy with their systems. I haven't bought in 18 months and don't know when I will again. I'd love to see a local store, but it probably wouldn't earn much from me.

The only practical solution is having a meet.

I don't even have a store in MY STATE that sells anything close to Hi-Fi
Seriously, they put up a bestbuy in the area, and a recorded 1000 people stood outside to just look inside of it
I came from vegas where bestbuys are like corner stores,

I still don't even buy anything from bestbuy, I only look and buy it somewhere else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back