The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #5,687 of 5,761
Kingy, what other headphones have you compared the MDR-MV1 to? Are you using the stock cable?
Yeah. These are also the first headphones that don't require the cable change asap.
I compare them to Sony Z7M2, Beyerdynamics DT 1770 PRO (2 times, lol), Beyerdynamics T5 gen3, Sennheiser HD580HD, Audeze LCD-XC Carbon and Meze Audio 109 Pro.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #5,688 of 5,761
Thanks for the info Kingy. I have a 9.2.8 immersive audio setup that does full blown atmos and I REALLY like Sony 360 Reality audio. I play the files through the TA-ZH1ES by either connecting my DAP to the RCA in ports with a 3.5 mm to RCA cable OR by connecting my Zidoo android box via USB. That immersive format by Sony sounds great on headphones, on two speakers, or upmixed to 9.2.8. The new Sony headphones are made for the 360 format so if you haven't checked it out yet you can get it via Tidal or Amazon Music. There are even some Sony 360 tracks on youtube.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #5,689 of 5,761
Thanks for the info Kingy. I have a 9.2.8 immersive audio setup that does full blown atmos and I REALLY like Sony 360 Reality audio. I play the files through the TA-ZH1ES by either connecting my DAP to the RCA in ports with a 3.5 mm to RCA cable OR by connecting my Zidoo android box via USB. That immersive format by Sony sounds great on headphones, on two speakers, or upmixed to 9.2.8. The new Sony headphones are made for the 360 format so if you haven't checked it out yet you can get it via Tidal or Amazon Music. There are even some Sony 360 tracks on youtube.

Yes, the MV1s are made specifically for mastering the spatial sound. Though I use them for everything (gaming and youtube mostly), and they sound great on the Sony dac. I bet they tested them together during the development. The sound comes out perfect.

iYBJDlo.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #5,690 of 5,761
Nov 9, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #5,691 of 5,761
Hello people,

I've just bought a second hand TA-ZH1ES from ebay. Had it a few days, and am very happy with the sound quality.

When I use the unit using the USB b input (pc using tidal and jriver) and the pre out output into my integrated amp, I'm getting noticeable pauses and an audible double clicking sound when the unit changes sample rate. This sounds like a mechanical relay noise. The noise also occurs when playback is stopped, started, or paused. It's quite distracting when playing music through speakers, and also makes gapless playback and cross fading redundant.

I know that some DACs make clicking sounds when changing sample rates. Is this normal on the TA-ZH1ES or is this a problem with the DAC?

This only occurs when using the pre outs, no problem on any of the headphone outputs. Have tested with pc connected, and android phone playing UAPP

Any help much appreciated

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #5,697 of 5,761
Thanks Kingy. I'm curious if anyone knows what the technical /engineering reason would be that this only occurs when using the preamp output and not when using the headphone outputs?
No idea and never a problem for me as I always play a whole album end to end so no change of sample rate while playing

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #5,698 of 5,761
It's not a huge deal. I do use playlists quite a lot. Using jriver I can resample everything to the same sample rate which fixes the problem. It's just a bit annoying on Tidal where hi Res playlists have tracks of differing sample rates.

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #5,700 of 5,761
Thats a recording headphone, those dont sound as musical when compared to Z1R.
It's actually tuned quite similarly to Z1R, it actually beats my Z7 quite handily in being a small, portable Z1R I can bring around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back