The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #5,311 of 5,803
Hi guys, I'm going to test and buy a used TAZ. Is there anything that I should pay attention to see if the TAZ is without problems?
When I bought mine I made sure the voltage rating on the bottom of the unit matched my local power supply. These were sold internationally and had various voltage specs to suit. As far as other problems, none that I know of but I am a fairly new owner. Oh and watch your bank balance as these units have been known to increase non essential spending, it happened to me…

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #5,312 of 5,803
@camera Not sure how critical this is to you, but you may want to check on the state of the remote. I have always thought that it is very convenient. :)

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #5,313 of 5,803
When I bought mine I made sure the voltage rating on the bottom of the unit matched my local power supply. These were sold internationally and had various voltage specs to suit. As far as other problems, none that I know of but I am a fairly new owner. Oh and watch your bank balance as these units have been known to increase non essential spending, it happened to me…
Got it. Thx.
@camera Not sure how critical this is to you, but you may want to check on the state of the remote. I have always thought that it is very convenient. :)
Oh, that is right, I was to forget the remote control. Thanks for your reminder.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #5,314 of 5,803
oh I did not know that the TAZ was discontinued recently according to the Sony website, also B&H is out of stock, any rumors of the next version anyone?

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #5,315 of 5,803
oh I did not know that the TAZ was discontinued recently according to the Sony website, also B&H is out of stock, any rumors of the next version anyone?
I haven't heard or read anything. Will be interesting to see what Sony does with development of the new TAZ, thats if they do it at all.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #5,316 of 5,803
It seems to be unobtanium in Europe these days.. even on the used market.

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #5,317 of 5,803
Crutchfield seems to still have them in stock. I just got mine from them about a month ago.

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #5,318 of 5,803
I'm mostly enjoying the Tazzy with my headphones (Elite and SolP). Great clarity, detail retrieval, and stage size / width in particular. It does come across as a little lean and dry though; does not quite have the body and oomph / impact that I know the headphones are capable of (having listened to them on other amps).

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #5,319 of 5,803
I'm mostly enjoying the Tazzy with my headphones (Elite and SolP). Great clarity, detail retrieval, and stage size / width in particular. It does come across as a little lean and dry though; does not quite have the body and oomph / impact that I know the headphones are capable of (having listened to them on other amps).
Try a different power cable? Make sure you plug directly to the wall

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #5,320 of 5,803
You most likely mean the slower bass from analog amps.

There is an ""emulation"" for that called DC Phase Linerazior. Try enabling that and make sure you're on low gain unless the volume isn't sufficient enough

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #5,322 of 5,803
Hey guys, I just joined the crew by getting one of these new on eBay for $1750. So far so good with my pair of Z1R's I bought a few weeks ago. I mostly listen to EDM, specifically DnB and some other stuff like Boris Brejcha. Im pretty new to high end audio stuff, does this amp require burn-in till it sounds optimal like the headphones? I couldn't believe how heavy this thing is compared to my Hifiman ef400.

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,323 of 5,803
I just found out that I can't play mqa through this. I see that some people have used an app called Amara Luxe but you need to EQ for it to sound right? Im new to this stuff and have no idea how to EQ. Is there an easier way to get this up and running with my Mac? I dont have any of my own music and would love to use the high quality music from Tidal.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #5,324 of 5,803
The TA does not have EQ so your source needs to do the EQ. Likewise the source needs to unfold the mqa stream as the TA is not a mqa renderer

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,325 of 5,803
I just found out that I can't play mqa through this. I see that some people have used an app called Amara Luxe but you need to EQ for it to sound right? Im new to this stuff and have no idea how to EQ. Is there an easier way to get this up and running with my Mac? I dont have any of my own music and would love to use the high quality music from Tidal.
The Tidal app itself would do the first unfold in any event. I primarily play music from my NAS and Tidal using Roon. Works nicely with the TAZ. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back