The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 19, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #5,071 of 5,761
I think it ultimately depends on whether you like the difference in tonality between the DMP and the TAZ and your use cases. :)
I would probably have needed a longer audition and with music I’m familiar with to make a fair comparison. My use case is exclusively bed side rig for home listening

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #5,072 of 5,761
Quick question: how do you connect the Chromecast Audio device to the TAZ?
Via optical. It supports the full 24/96 bandwidth of Taz's optical input. You just need to buy a separate optical cable with a 3.5mm optical adapter on the one end. And because it uses Wi-Fi, there's no lossy compression on the digital transfer from source (Tidal, Plex, UAPP etc.) to the Taz.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #5,073 of 5,761
Via optical. It supports the full 24/96 bandwidth of Taz's optical input. You just need to buy a separate optical cable with a 3.5mm optical adapter on the one end. And because it uses Wi-Fi, there's no lossy compression on the digital transfer from source (Tidal, Plex, UAPP etc.) to the Taz.
Ah OK. Thanks! Yes, you have mentioned optical before. But I just saw a 3.5mm output. Forgetting that the AK DAPs use the same connector for optical out. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,074 of 5,761
Any special cables being used? Power or usb wise
Nope. Everything stock, connected the walkman with the stock wmport to micro usb cable that came with the TA. It charges my wm1a while connected which is perfect.

Then TA with IER-Z1R with the stock balanced cable. I don't have the trained ears to justify the additional costs of expensive cables unfortunately.

Mountains by Hans Zimmer is phenomenal. Got me smiling like an idiot when the crescendo hits.

Jun 19, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #5,075 of 5,761
Ah OK. Thanks! Yes, you have mentioned optical before. But I just saw a 3.5mm output. Forgetting that the AK DAPs use the same connector for optical out. Thanks!
Sony also used 3.5 optical on many of their cd Walkmen (I used it for travel rig with the first iBasso portable dac/amp) and my old Acer AspirOne 11” netbook (that I used as source with foobar before getting the Auralic) also had 3.5 optical out

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #5,076 of 5,761
Just got my TA. Using wm1a as a transport, defs sounds better than tidal master streamed off my phone.

I think I've reached my end game with IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES. Stayed up until 2am listening to music. Too addicting to stop.
Congratulations!

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #5,077 of 5,761
Just got my TA. Using wm1a as a transport, defs sounds better than tidal master streamed off my phone.

I think I've reached my end game with IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES. Stayed up until 2am listening to music. Too addicting to stop.
Here I thought the DMP-Z1 was end game. But I just can’t get impressed with the sound since the TA and WM1Z have been wonderful marvels. Not taking anything away from the DMP, but I need to realize myself that what I have now is enough. Digging down that rabbit hole is deadly

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #5,078 of 5,761
Here I thought the DMP-Z1 was end game. But I just can’t get impressed with the sound since the TA and WM1Z have been wonderful marvels. Not taking anything away from the DMP, but I need to realize myself that what I have now is enough. Digging down that rabbit hole is deadly
Definitely a rabbit hole, but thats what we all seem to love here haha. I got hd600, ier-z1r, TA, and WM1A. Can comfortably walk away now. If i was to buy anything else. It would probably be Sony's next flagship headphones or focal utopias.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #5,079 of 5,761
Definitely a rabbit hole, but thats what we all seem to love here haha. I got hd600, ier-z1r, TA, and WM1A. Can comfortably walk away now. If i was to buy anything else. It would probably be Sony's next flagship headphones or focal utopias.
Seeing how aggresively Sony advertised the MDR-Z1R with the new Walkman, i don't expect a new flagship soon.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #5,080 of 5,761
The Utopia are good. But the MDR-Z1R are better. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #5,081 of 5,761
All the talk about the Utopia vs the MDR sort of reminded me that I should give the MDR a run out with the TAZ. I only had a cursory listen previously. :)

93E47191-4BAC-4BB9-8B57-1E8D85BB0EC7.jpeg

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #5,083 of 5,761
All the talk about the Utopia vs the MDR sort of reminded me that I should give the MDR a run out with the TAZ. I only had a cursory listen previously. :)

93E47191-4BAC-4BB9-8B57-1E8D85BB0EC7.jpeg
I've just done that exact matchup this past weekend. Will await your thoughts and follow with mine.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #5,084 of 5,761
My initial thoughts listening to Roon streaming via the Melco N10P into the TAZ: the MDR actually has great synergy with the TAZ. I initially thought that the warmth of the TAZ X the warmth of the MDR would mean that it would be sticky thick. Actually, I am finding myself enjoying The Look of Love, Burt Bacharach Songbook, by Trijntje Oosterhuis. One of my all time favourites. Although the sub bass of the MDR is ever present, I don’t think it overwhelms the vocals, the strings, the percussion or the wind instruments.

Whilst I will say that the Utopia is unsurprisingly more transparent, and therefore seems more dynamic whilst giving the TAZ full play of its fuller and more musical character, I cannot say that I would give up the MDR. Especially now that in South East Asia, stock of the MDR is starting to be really difficult to come by.

I will just say that I am a lucky boy… :)

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #5,085 of 5,761

This is what I am listening to. But on Roon. Gorgeous music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back