The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 17, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #5,056 of 5,761
I am using my TA ZH1ES in a new configuration and thoroughly enjoying the result.

Qobuz into Roon

Chord 2Go as Roon end point.

2Go into 2Yu into Digital Coax of TA.

Into Senn HD800s or Sony Z1R via XLR balanced out.

I tried feeding TA analog in, some time back, from Qutest DAC but was never convinced of the logic or sound using this setup. The internal digital conversion never made sense to me.

I now rate the TA DAC as outstanding.
Speaking of new configurations, I promised to report back here as soon as I found a way to turn Taz into a wireless streamer. Success!

PSX_20220617_162046.jpg

This little puck arrived at my doorstep today. I managed to find a sealed-in-box Chromecast Audio on eBay, and despite the fact that it cost me $50 more than its original $35 retail price, I can happily report it's an absolute steal for the money, if you can find one.

I've been testing it for the past few hours, switching between 24/96 optical input and Walkman USB input with the IER-Z1R, and I have to say, if there's a difference in SQ between the two, I can't hear it.

Anyone concerned that CA via optical would be too jittery, fear not. It's absolutely not. Well, it may be on an oscilloscope, but if there's any sound degradation due to jitter, it's well beyond my hearing range.

Now, instead of relying on my WM1Z as source, I can simply fire up Tidal or Plex on my phone, and have full access to lossless wireless digital streaming, or DLNA access to my entire music library.

Sure, it's not a full hi-res streamer, in that CA doesn't support DSD (or bitrates over 24/96), but that really doesn't matter. If I must listen to DSDs or super hi-res files, I'll just pop them on my Walkman.

So, if anyone wants to add lossless streaming to Taz, go hunt down a Chromecast Audio. I'm thinking I might get a second one as spare, seeing they're already as rare as hen's teeth. Definitely better SQ than Bluetooth, even LDAC.

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #5,057 of 5,761
I tried this with Neet streaming gadget. It worked but was a faff to get connected to my network each time.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #5,058 of 5,761
Just got my TA. Using wm1a as a transport, defs sounds better than tidal master streamed off my phone.

I think I've reached my end game with IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES. Stayed up until 2am listening to music. Too addicting to stop.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #5,060 of 5,761
Just got my TA. Using wm1a as a transport, defs sounds better than tidal master streamed off my phone.

I think I've reached my end game with IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES. Stayed up until 2am listening to music. Too addicting to stop.
It’s an ear opening experience for sure. Unmatched level of engagement

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #5,061 of 5,761
TAZ is so much fun, I use it daily for work 10am-8pm nonestop lol

1655495688895.png

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #5,062 of 5,761
I am using my TA ZH1ES in a new configuration and thoroughly enjoying the result.

Qobuz into Roon

Chord 2Go as Roon end point.

2Go into 2Yu into Digital Coax of TA.

Into Senn HD800s or Sony Z1R via XLR balanced out.

I tried feeding TA analog in, some time back, from Qutest DAC but was never convinced of the logic or sound using this setup. The internal digital conversion never made sense to me.

I now rate the TA DAC as outstanding.

In this setup you're just using the Tazzy's DAC. Roon sends digital, undecoded info from Qobuz unchanged into the 2go/2yu streamer and that goes into the digital coax (it's digital - not yet decoded) and the Tazzy's DAC does the actual digital to analog conversion. The shortest, least complex signal path is usually - but not always - the best.

The only reason to use the Tazzy as a digital amp only is if you have a better DAC, and it's either a pure DAC or a dac/amp with an amp section that isn't better than Tazzy's amp. Probably I would think that the Qutest is a better DAC than the Tazzy, so I'd probably be using it, but it might be a matter of taste for you.

I mean the Qutest as a DAC alone is about the same price as the entire TA itself, which has a lot more hardware cost and components. It's numbers are absolutely stellar at THD: <0.0001% 1kHz 3v RMS 300Ω and THD and noise at 3v RMS: 117dB at 1kHz 300ohms ‘A’ weighted (reference 2.5v). Hell, that's something that's going to sound really really good, even if it was re-captured as quad data rate DSD.

In some analog amp situations, an analog in would just be passed through as an analog signal, (like in the case of a tube amp) and it would be amplified that way.

However, due to the design of the D.A Hybrid Amplifier Circuit in this amp, it requires analog inputs to be digitized again. This isn't really typical and you can be forgiven for thinking it's probably not optimal, but I want to tell everyone that Sony did a really good job if you have a reason to use this type of signal path with the amplifier.

If you were just to look at numbers, Analog amps can't perform on paper anywhere close to a digital amp or even a hybrid amp design like the TA. But some people pay thousands of dollars for the top ones because people don't mind if there's some distortion in their output as long as it's the right kind of distortion, lol.

Always use what sounds best to you tho, not what you think *should* be the best. The TA's DAC has it's own character, for sure. I just don't think it's quite as good as what Chord does. But it's really a matter of taste. I switch back and forth all the time myself. It's as simple as changing my output on Tidal from Hugo2 to TA-ZH1ES and moving the input from Analog to USB.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #5,063 of 5,761

same for me my friend. it is such a great device!

but having this on the table like...
TAZ is so much fun, I use it daily for work 10am-8pm nonestop lol

1655495688895.png

... feels amazing during the day and wish i could use it during my work. but the sound is so good, that i simply get lost in moments where i need full focus and concentration.

Jun 18, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #5,064 of 5,761

Ooh… need to find time to try this combination out. :)

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #5,065 of 5,761
Giving the LCD3 a run out with the TAZ. Streaming input from the iBasso DX300 as digital transport. Coaxial into the TAZ. :)

6A13D3DB-2969-47F9-916A-CB6668EF91F2.jpeg

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #5,066 of 5,761

Any special cables being used? Power or usb wise

Jun 19, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #5,067 of 5,761
Had a chance to try the DMP in the Sony Store in Berlin with my IER-Z1R but was not allowed to put my own memory card into it so could only try the 50 tracks that were loaded none of which I’m familiar with and all were pop/rock. It’s indeed a lovely piece of kit but based on that far from ideal audition it certainly didn’t blow me away so I’m happily sticking with my Auralic plus TA.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #5,068 of 5,761

PSX_20220619_130203.jpg
It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes the smallest, simplest and (often) least expensive devices are disproportionately valuable in this hobby. This little guy is easily one of the best audio purchases I've made to date, at any price. I've only had it for a few days, and it's already paid for itself ten times over. How easily basic yet advanced functionality like this can be baked into each and every DAC worth its salt nowadays.

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #5,069 of 5,761
Had a chance to try the DMP in the Sony Store in Berlin with my IER-Z1R but was not allowed to put my own memory card into it so could only try the 50 tracks that were loaded none of which I’m familiar with and all were pop/rock. It’s indeed a lovely piece of kit but based on that far from ideal audition it certainly didn’t blow me away so I’m happily sticking with my Auralic plus TA.
I think it ultimately depends on whether you like the difference in tonality between the DMP and the TAZ and your use cases. :)

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #5,070 of 5,761

PSX_20220619_130203.jpg
It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes the smallest, simplest and (often) least expensive devices are disproportionately valuable in this hobby. This little guy is easily one of the best audio purchases I've made to date, at any price. I've only had it for a few days, and it's already paid for itself ten times over. How easily basic yet advanced functionality like this can be baked into each and every DAC worth its salt nowadays.
Quick question: how do you connect the Chromecast Audio device to the TAZ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back