The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #4,516 of 5,766
Not sure if thas have been posted yet, but there is this french article (Auto Translate works pretty well) about the TA-ZH1ES that shows a lot of in-depth insight

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/test-sony-signature-lorsque-sony-fete-son-70eme-anniversaire/3/

It shows the two power supplies, the separate boards, the downside of the board (containing the Analog Amp), the AKM Chips that are used for A/D Conversion of the Analog input and upscaling and so on.
Yes, a very thorough review. I read it late last year. I find it interesting that they speak highly of the pre-out (into a stellar test system) even though it doesn’t seem to get much respect on this thread. I use the pre-out into a much more modest system and I am very happy with the fidelity.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #4,518 of 5,766
To be honest, i never tried the pre-out, but i don't have any device that i could use it with. All i do with my TA-ZH1ES is plug headphones into it and listen to music^^ but i am 100% satisfied with it.
Ah, I see. I didn’t have any plans to but I starting using the unit as a preamp to take advantage of the DSD upscaling on CDs, etc. I just love the flexibility of this thing.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #4,519 of 5,766
I have no strong feelings about DSD Remastering. I tried it on and off like 1000 times and still i can't decide if its better or not. Sometimes i have the feeling that with DSD Remastering Enabled, it sounds more like an Analog Amp. Sometimes i like that, sometimes not.

I have it off because... i don't know... i just don't care enough to turn it on^^ but i heard lots of times that for some people, its the definitive feature for them.

Better having than needing, right?

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #4,520 of 5,766
I have no strong feelings about DSD Remastering. I tried it on and off like 1000 times and still i can't decide if its better or not. Sometimes i have the feeling that with DSD Remastering Enabled, it sounds more like an Analog Amp. Sometimes i like that, sometimes not.

I have it off because... i don't know... i just don't care enough to turn it on^^ but i heard lots of times that for some people, its the definitive feature for them.

Better having than needing, right?
Agreed. It’s more for fun than anything. At my age (>50) very little chance I’m hearing any difference.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #4,521 of 5,766
To be honest, i never tried the pre-out, but i don't have any device that i could use it with. All i do with my TA-ZH1ES is plug headphones into it and listen to music^^ but i am 100% satisfied with it.
The same for me. The TA is my bed side rig so nothing the line out could feed

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #4,522 of 5,766
Not sure if thas have been posted yet, but there is this french article (Auto Translate works pretty well) about the TA-ZH1ES that shows a lot of in-depth insight

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/test-sony-signature-lorsque-sony-fete-son-70eme-anniversaire/3/

It shows the two power supplies, the separate boards, the downside of the board (containing the Analog Amp), the AKM Chips that are used for A/D Conversion of the Analog input and upscaling and so on.
Thanks for sharing. And for someone like me who can't read French here is the English version using Google Translate. It's very understandable.

https://www-homecinema--fr-com.tran...aire/3/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ja

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #4,523 of 5,766
By the way, the SA-Z1 also uses the D.A. Hybrid Amp from the TA-ZH1ES but in an improved version.

Instead of MOSFET they are using GaN-FET but it's pretty much the same design. The GaN-FET allows them to output more power than the TA-ZH1ES.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/200528/?s_pid=jp_audio_product_202005_feature_1

So Sony is still believing in this technology to be the best and is still developing it. Maybe there will be an successor to the TA-ZH1ES with higher output some day

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #4,524 of 5,766
Interesting, how 'the new WM1A\Z series' will connect to TA-ZH1ES AMP?...

new adaper?

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #4,525 of 5,766
Feb 6, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #4,527 of 5,766
Hi TA owner, just recently get the TA to pair with the Z1R. I want to see any of you have use the TA as a DAC for PC audio through the back USB port. It seems there is a very slight lip sync / audio video sync issue for my setup. Any one has similar experience?

I understand it is not intended for movies, but other than just using portable music player through usb port for music. I connect my laptop for some youtube concert and music video listening as well. It seems there is a very slight audio delay there. Any idea?
The amp has a lag. Somebody notices this, somebody doesn't. But the issue is there and you can't do anything with it. Reason - not too fast FPGA chip.

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #4,528 of 5,766
The amp has a lag. Somebody notices this, somebody doesn't. But the issue is there and you can't do anything with it. Reason - not too fast FPGA chip.
The lag seems to be with usb connection to pc and games with very high frame rate. I have absolutely no lag on optical from my tv

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #4,529 of 5,766
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #4,530 of 5,766
I have been using this with my LG V60. Works perfect.
#gothicaudio

Attachments

• 20220212_135638_HDR.jpg
    20220212_135638_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back