The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 29, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,411 of 5,761
If you have an iPad or an iPhone, those don’t seem to have the problems that Samsung suffers from. All either of those would require is the camera adapter And your choice of either streaming service or a player with built in storage for your files. I’m seriously considering getting an Innuos server for my streamer and perhaps a usb reclocker. Good thing I don’t have kids yet 🤣😂 This hobby is proving to be just as expensive.
Yep, I've spent the big bucks on the main components, now I'm into the diminishing returns area of sources and cables etc.
I'm team android, I do have a Mi tablet but prefer to carry all my music on my phone.
I got home from work and tried my S10 - it showed 48/24 correctly for one album and 192/24 correctly for another. It seems 44/16 gets upscaled to 48/24 and dsf 96/24 display as 192/24. I don't know what is going on there but it wasn't locked on 48/24 like you had experienced and there were no pops or crackling - I only tried very quickly but it didn't seem to sound very good, like some resampling was going on and that was using USB Audio Pro with bit perfect settings.

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #4,412 of 5,761
If you have an iPad or an iPhone, those don’t seem to have the problems that Samsung suffers from. All either of those would require is the camera adapter And your choice of either streaming service or a player with built in storage for your files. I’m seriously considering getting an Innuos server for my streamer and perhaps a usb reclocker. Good thing I don’t have kids yet 🤣😂 This hobby is proving to be just as expensive.

G'day VladYR,

I'm looking to put an old iPad back into use as a streaming device. From what I can gather, you can connect one up to the TA via USB no worries?

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #4,413 of 5,761
G'day VladYR,

I'm looking to put an old iPad back into use as a streaming device. From what I can gather, you can connect one up to the TA via USB no worries?

i use an iPad with mine, using the USB 3 camera connection kit, connecting to the Walkman port on the side of TA-ZH1ES, via a USB A to micro USB cable

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #4,414 of 5,761
i use an iPad with mine, using the USB 3 camera connection kit, connecting to the Walkman port on the side of TA-ZH1ES, via a USB A to micro USB cable

Tsiklon, thank you. So it can be done. I've not really dabbled in USB audio in any meaningful way. I guess it's a basic question, but I've been out of this game for a while and to say it has moved on is an understatement indeed.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #4,415 of 5,761
G'day VladYR,

Yes, it works like a charm for me, but it’s not my main streaming device. I only use it to quickly burn in cables or new components that require 100+ hours to sound their best. I just leave it on for a week and the process takes care of itself. But the sound quality is decent. You can potentially improve it with Audioquest Jitterbug. As someone mentioned, you can do either the Walkman port or the usb b on the back. I tried both.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #4,416 of 5,761
Yes, it works like a charm for me, but it’s not my main streaming device. I only use it to quickly burn in cables or new components that require 100+ hours to sound their best. I just leave it on for a week and the process takes care of itself. But the sound quality is decent. You can potentially improve it with Audioquest Jitterbug. As someone mentioned, you can do either the Walkman port or the usb b on the back. I tried both.

Thank you VladYR. I had read about 260 pages of this thread before asking the question, only to find it was asked a few pages back...!

I also have a ZX507 DAP. It doesn't have the greatest battery life while you are running the screen and streaming at the same time. I figure since I've got two old work iPads sitting around doing very little, I'd hammer the battery on them over the ZX507.

It also appears that the TA has been discontinued by Sony in Australia. It's this the case in any other countries? Has a successor been announced? Regardless, I can't find much info.

M

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4,417 of 5,761
Thank you VladYR. I had read about 260 pages of this thread before asking the question, only to find it was asked a few pages back...!

I also have a ZX507 DAP. It doesn't have the greatest battery life while you are running the screen and streaming at the same time. I figure since I've got two old work iPads sitting around doing very little, I'd hammer the battery on them over the ZX507.

It also appears that the TA has been discontinued by Sony in Australia. It's this the case in any other countries? Has a successor been announced? Regardless, I can't find much info.

M
My usual dealer told me a few weeks ago that the Z1R headphones were recently discontinued. Now the TA is being retired? This is truly bizarre unless they have some substantially improved replacements. Honestly though, the TA was great. It didn’t really lack anything. The somewhat noticeable lack of MQA support was not a problem, especially in light of the recent scandal involving Tidal and that utterly useless file format and its creators/owners.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #4,418 of 5,761
My usual dealer told me a few weeks ago that the Z1R headphones were recently discontinued. Now the TA is being retired? This is truly bizarre unless they have some substantially improved replacements. Honestly though, the TA was great. It didn’t really lack anything. The somewhat noticeable lack of MQA support was not a problem, especially in light of the recent scandal involving Tidal and that utterly useless file format and its creators/owners.
What is the scandal ?

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #4,419 of 5,761
What is the scandal ?
Essentially that the format is demonstrably lossy, needlessly upsamples high res files to resolutions in which they were never recorded, and that MQA files stripped of some of the data contained in them will still prompt a blue light. A member of this forum published some tracks on tidal, did some testing and found this format to be utterly fraudulent, which wasn’t really a surprise to many.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #4,420 of 5,761
This explains why a bunch of z1rs got listed brand new for some $1200 a pop on ebay a short while back.. clearance probably, japanese sellers.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #4,421 of 5,761
This explains why a bunch of z1rs got listed brand new for some $1200 a pop on ebay a short while back.. clearance probably, japanese sellers.
I traded in mine towards an M Scaler. It was a good time to get rid of it I suppose.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #4,422 of 5,761
I traded in mine towards an M Scaler. It was a good time to get rid of it I suppose.
54D412C2-3D98-4D35-B51D-558CCD00D0B2.jpeg

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #4,423 of 5,761
My usual dealer told me a few weeks ago that the Z1R headphones were recently discontinued. Now the TA is being retired?

Ah fer f...really?!

So I'd either better get a wriggle on and stump up for the Z1Rs and the TA in one hit or attempt to snag some clearance sales.

I really hope they're just at the end of a product cycle. Their recievers and upper level turntables are listed as discontinued here as well.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #4,424 of 5,761
hi, i would like to ask how long should i use my ta-zh1es? i had a previous model uda-1 and lasted 5 years, using it almost 12hrs daily. i googled up the lifetime of a amp should be around 10years and should b using 2-6hrs per day?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #4,425 of 5,761
hi, i would like to ask how long should i use my ta-zh1es? i had a previous model uda-1 and lasted 5 years, using it almost 12hrs daily. i googled up the lifetime of a amp should be around 10years and should b using 2-6hrs per day?
Some capacitors will start to have issues after twenty years. Often people still use them after that. Still I would guess twenty years before some service needs to be done......then your free to still continue using it. I wound not worry much, even with that daily use. Don’t know what Google is referring too?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back