The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,162 of 5,797
Hi - is it possible to connect an iPhone to the TA using the camera kit? Also has anyone compared the TA to the Chord Mojo - if so is there a noticeable difference in sound quality. My headphones are HD800S and HD700. Use Apple Music and Tidal as my source onto an iPhone, I always think the sound direct from the iPhone is pretty good and marginally better with the mojo connected. Considering whether the TA is a good option for me.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,163 of 5,797
Hi - is it possible to connect an iPhone to the TA using the camera kit? Also has anyone compared the TA to the Chord Mojo - if so is there a noticeable difference in sound quality. My headphones are HD800S and HD700. Use Apple Music and Tidal as my source onto an iPhone, I always think the sound direct from the iPhone is pretty good and marginally better with the mojo connected. Considering whether the TA is a good option for me.
Tidal works with 24/96 using a camera kit on an iPad Pro (lightning connection)

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,164 of 5,797
I hope my unit is correct, I bought new in october. It has only 3 months
as it work as intended on the Andromeda doesnt that point more on the HD800's cable? ah wait the andromeda test is using the 4.4 and the 800 is using the XLR huh.. well that does sounds weird

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,165 of 5,797
Will be receiving my TA at the end of the month, with the ease of input connections, going to be fun testing my small collection of IEMs and full-sized headphones on it :) Couple of questions for existing users:

1. Does the Walkman port on the TA charge your mobile phone if you connect it via micro usb? Or it is just for reading the phone/Walkman?
2. Does DSEE up-sample work better on the TA than on the Walkmans? I dont really hear much of a difference on my ZX300

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2,166 of 5,797
No and likely yes.

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,167 of 5,797
Will be receiving my TA at the end of the month, with the ease of input connections, going to be fun testing my small collection of IEMs and full-sized headphones on it :) Couple of questions for existing users:

1. Does the Walkman port on the TA charge your mobile phone if you connect it via micro usb? Or it is just for reading the phone/Walkman?
2. Does DSEE up-sample work better on the TA than on the Walkmans? I dont really hear much of a difference on my ZX300

Here is some information about question 2.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2068#post-15392340

In short it’s subtle but noticeable.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,169 of 5,797
It's not supposed to be some crazy filter that radically changes the sound. It's purpose is to give you different subltle improvement presentations depending on the type of music you are listening to. I use percussion setting with electronic music for example. And i use female vocal with most female vocal and guitars stuff. the rest of the time I just use the auto preset.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #2,170 of 5,797
This may sound like a dumb question but, there are no EQ settings on the TA, right? Normally I don’t use it on other gear.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #2,172 of 5,797
Received the TA-ZH1ES, and testing it on my M9s first as they are my go to for monitoring.

Really nice sound stage dynamics, and really complements the ability of the M9 to deliver on quiet sections of pieces.

Differences with DSD remastering seem slight, but that to me is a good thing.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #2,173 of 5,797
Received the TA-ZH1ES, and testing it on my M9s first as they are my go to for monitoring.

Really nice sound stage dynamics, and really complements the ability of the M9 to deliver on quiet sections of pieces.

Differences with DSD remastering seem slight, but that to me is a good thing.

It’s great and quiet with IEMs.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,174 of 5,797
I purchased a NW-ZX507 Walkman in the EU not realizing that with the cap it would not drive my headphones. I have purchased the Sony TA-ZH1ES to drive the headphones but the Walkman Port does not seem to work from the NW-ZX507. Does any have ideas of how I can connect them? Thanks in advance for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back