SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #31,006 of 45,723
Which version of K mod do you have, std. Premium or ultimate? (The last two ise some tantalum caps, do they make a huge diff?)
No I have not done the K-Mos yet but is exploring if I should hence the question.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #31,007 of 45,723
maybe that is the magic trick bhind sony to make the 1Z sound "better" than 1A a simple cable of better quality
There are more to why WM1Z would sound better than WM1A.

take the Copper Goldplated chassis for example. The nature of S-Master is that it utilizes the MOSFET to switch the signals in turn to convert the already processed Pulse Codes into Analog signals before passing into the Lowpass filters. So...just like any Transistors, the ground is a very important element. Now, take that into account of itself being one of the main element for your analog signals ?

What about those Capacitors...they are Low pass filters! So of course it would affect the sound quality.

Internal wires ? If you are able to observe the effects of upgraded cables, then it is a fool proof for the improvements from even normal OFC into Kimber itself....however, I am not a fan of Kimber.

I know, and I myself, sometimes make jokes about the usages of OFC Goldplated Chassis on the Wm1Z. But the effects of the WM1Z is very real. Other devices may be Dipping into the market trend, but it effects wouldn’t be as Pronounced as the Wm1Z, and the reason being is that....S-Master VS off the shelves DAC-IC.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #31,008 of 45,723
dsp deffinately eats battery, up to perhaps 30% more than direct source. Also higher volume would use more battery I assume. I get about 20 hours play time plus a weeks stand by time from a 90% charge (usually charge once a week and never turn it off) using source direct and 70-80 on low gain playing flac 16/44 files
thank you friend have a happy new year you and everyone here!

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #31,009 of 45,723
There are more to why WM1Z would sound better than WM1A.

take the Copper Goldplated chassis for example. The nature of S-Master is that it utilizes the MOSFET to switch the signals in turn to convert the already processed Pulse Codes into Analog signals before passing into the Lowpass filters. So...just like any Transistors, the ground is a very important element. Now, take that into account of itself being one of the main element for your analog signals ?

What about those Capacitors...they are Low pass filters! So of course it would affect the sound quality.

Internal wires ? If you are able to observe the effects of upgraded cables, then it is a fool proof for the improvements from even normal OFC into Kimber itself....however, I am not a fan of Kimber.

I know, and I myself, sometimes make jokes about the usages of OFC Goldplated Chassis on the Wm1Z. But the effects of the WM1Z is very real. Other devices may be Dipping into the market trend, but it effects wouldn’t be as Pronounced as the Wm1Z, and the reason being is that....S-Master VS off the shelves DAC-IC.
what DAP would you buy today? if money isent a problem?

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #31,011 of 45,723
he already got a DMP-Z1 :D
well he did well (indeed its the best ive seen!) i wonder if it rumbles!? Deep! I wish someone could comapre the hole sony lineup so us to see how much are we "losing" by going entry level i guess soundstage clarity and separation should be miles away from 1A and thickness...

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #31,012 of 45,723
I have boatloads of tunes and plenty of space left for more. I love the 1 terabyte micro SD card.

1231192327a_HDR.jpg

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #31,013 of 45,723
Recently I’ve been thinking about the K-Mod for the 1Z, I know some of you have the K-Mod but not too much impressions were given. Can someone share some thoughts on the K-Mod? Specifically I want to know is it an improvement on the sound without altering the sound signature/character? If so in what way was the sound improved? The upgrade wires are stated to be OCC copper, should silver be used? Instead of using 8,10,14 wires, should a heavier gauge wire be used instead. If the sound can be improved without altering the sound character, I am all for it.
Silver will change the stock sound. I tried 24 gauge solid OCC Silver on the 1A, and it messed with the timbre quite a bit. I for one was not a fan.
Solid OCC will be smoother than any Stranded OCC copper wire. Unless pliability is absolutely essential, like headphone cables, solid wire ill always sound better.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #31,014 of 45,723
I have boatloads of tunes and plenty of space left for more. I love the 1 terabyte micro SD card.

15778785098993452086725625306190.jpg

With 50.000+ there is a short delay upon creating lists, going to playback screen, accessing menus. It is probably a 1 second lag nothing that bothers me. I've had worse lagging when i had my FiiO X3 first gen.
To achiv this number of songs , i "compressed" the DSF's to flac 24bit

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #31,015 of 45,723

With 50.000+ there is a short delay upon creating lists, going to playback screen, accessing menus. It is probably a 1 second lag nothing that bothers me. I've had worse lagging when i had my FiiO X3 first gen.
To achiv this number of songs , i "compressed" the DSF's to flac 24bit

Approx. 140 days of continuous music (24/7)?

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #31,016 of 45,723
Approx. 140 days of continuous music (24/7)?
Ys most are 16/44 and 24 buts, to fit even mote than 46k i had to convert the DSD to flac ( dont worry as the "masters" are on my hard drive untouched)

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #31,017 of 45,723
I still think the cheapest and easiest way to turn a stock 1A into a stock 1Z is a pair of IER-Z1R IEMs and 1A firmware 3.01. If someone found a nice used pair of IER-Z1Rs and they fit them, and they liked the sound there is really not much more desired looking for the Walkman 1Z sound? This is just my opinion with my ears?

It’s obviously not exactly the same but it’s uncanny how close the IER-Z1R brings the 1A to the 1Z personality. The thickness, the bass tone, the soundstage.......it’s actually quite surprising? In my use I have never found an IEM which bridges the gap between the players (besides the IER-Z1R)? It’s also not a coincidence it’s a Sony product.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #31,019 of 45,723
@Whitigir and others that are interested in DAC technology:

First part of three:

Thank you for that. DMP Z1 to me is a notch above the Chord Dave, which made my final decision.

If you are interested in FPGA for a Digital to Analog Conversion, you will also see it inside the DMP-Z1 with “DSD Remastering”. The differences is that Sony don’t just use any FPGA, but their very own Proprietary IC chip which also acts as Digital DSP and Digital Interfaces. This very same chip is inside WM1A/WM1Z, TA-ZH1ES and DMP Z1.

the reason why WM1A and Z is not having DSD remastering is because DSD signals will need DSD digital filter or low bit processing (1bit). The S-Master is Multibit and Direct Conversion, hence is not Capable of passing Only DSD Native signals from it Input. This was why the TA ZH1ES needs to have another FPGA in order to conduct Low bit processing.

FPGA is just Field Programable Gated Array. You can program it and enable different tasks, but it was mainly developed for Automation and robotic application....not dedicated toward Audio signal processing. FPGa is very Noisy, and Electrical noises is a form of errors. This was why even though Using FPGA inside TA ZH1ES, it is only a low bit processor for “DSD remastering”....unlike Chord, which rely on FPGA to do the conversion and dedicated sound processing. After many listening sessions and analysis, I do not like FPGA based DAC. The last evidence to me was DAVE...totally a level below DMP Z1

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #31,020 of 45,723
Thank you for that. DMP Z1 to me is a notch above the Chord Dave, which made my final decision.
Wow! That comment could be a game changer for me, as I have been considering the Chord Dave for a two channel system I am building, but know that with a Dave, I still need to find a source, while the Sony DMP Z1 gives me both DAC and source.

@Whitigir , can you say a bit more? Were you able to compare the DMP Z1 and Dave side by side? Did you hear the Dave driven by the Chord Mscaler (an upsampler with over a million filter taps). If so, how did that combination compare to the DMP Z1? Does the DMP Z1, in one of the Sony modes, also offer up sampling?

For the DMP Z1, is there a way to control song selection remotely, e.g. via an iPad app, so I can keep the DMP Z1 near the stereo system and its control at the place where I listen, in front of the speakers?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back