The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,057 of 5,761
i have bought both the aq jitterbug and the ifi usb purifier during a moment of weakness (you know... audiophilia nervosa).

i left the jitterbug in my system because it doesn't hurt to have it in there.
but in all honesty... i can't claim that i am able to hear any difference.

and i don't think this is because my hearing is impaired, i definitely can hear differences when swapping headphone cables and analog interconnects for instance. but differences in usb cabling and usb purification on the tazzy...different story imo.

a thing to consider: sony has gone to great lengths when it comes to jitter rejection on their s-master products. (in previous iterations of their s-master architecture they called this their "clean data cycle" which sports an attosecond clock for re-clocking the signal.) the tazzy is built around the s-master hx architecture and a chassis that is supposed to suppress physical interference with the internal timing of the clock through vibration.

so, i believe jitter is not an issue. what other reasons could there be to add usb purification? introduction of noise to the system? i can't hear any improvement in that department either.

i don't think that money spent on usb purification is money spent well. just my humble opinion.

BTW i also found this an interesting read:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/08/musings-demo-why-bits-are-bits-lets-not.html

Have you compared the USB with the optical input?
Initially I was not that sure about Jitterbugs and others. Then my USB cable broke and I was forced to use my toslink. I have heard a slightly „cleaner“ sound out of it. That made me curious about the reason for this.
I don’t know if my brain plays with me or if someone can or can not hear it. The important part is: if you can benefit from these upgrades, everything is fine :)
(otherwise get rid of it)

PS: considering the price tag of a Jitterbug or Purifier everyone should try it for themselves (if interested in this kind of stuff) In relation to the TA just peanuts.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #2,058 of 5,761
In the end I had to cancel the order because the estimated shipping date shifted to the end of december ( or even after )... too much in my opinion ( that’s my fault )...

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,059 of 5,761
In the end I had to cancel the order because the estimated shipping date shifted to the end of december ( or even after )... too much in my opinion ( that’s my fault )...
Oh no... that is bad.
What is your plan now?

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #2,060 of 5,761
Oh no... that is bad.
What is your plan now?
I've ordered a Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro... I've read some good reviews about it... If it happens that I don't like the sound because it's too sabre-like ( this Matrix unit shoudn't, but who knows... ) I'll eventually buy the Rme ( Adi-2 Dac or the Pro FS ) or the Holo Spring Level 1.
Also, in these days, I've read some not-so-positive reviews about the pre-amp section of the Sony... This is quite important for me because I want to use the dac also for my schiit Lyr 3 and, maybe in the future, for my speakers setup.... :)

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #2,061 of 5,761
I've ordered a Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro... I've read some good reviews about it... If it happens that I don't like the sound because it's too sabre-like ( this Matrix unit shoudn't, but who knows... ) I'll eventually buy the Rme ( Adi-2 Dac or the Pro FS ) or the Holo Spring Level 1.
Also, in these days, I've read some not-so-positive reviews about the pre-amp section of the Sony... This is quite important for me because I want to use the dac also for my schiit Lyr 3 and, maybe in the future, for my speakers setup.... :)
The Matrix is one of the new „secret“ diamonds. I also read some very good reviews.
Hope you like it :)

Something to the RME: Soundwise it makes no difference between pro and dac. The only advantage is you can use balanced with the pro (I never had the FS for myself but I heard it a/b at my friends studio and the difference was, if any, very small)

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #2,062 of 5,761
The Matrix is one of the new „secret“ diamonds. I also read some very good reviews.
Hope you like it :)

Something to the RME: Soundwise it makes no difference between pro and dac. The only advantage is you can use balanced with the pro (I never had the FS for myself but I heard it a/b at my friends studio and the difference was, if any, very small)

Thank you :) About the Rme I'm in the middle: If a part of me loves to have a balanced headphone out and balanced analog outputs, the other loves as much the possibility to have an IEM Output ( Adi-2 Dac )...
Talking about the FS or the not-FS version it's only a question of convenience: the price on amazon of the non-FS version is the same as the FS version on Thonmann... so I would pick up the newest one ( FS ) :)

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,064 of 5,761
Hi, I've searched high and low for this and haven't able to find a definitive, clear answer:

If I connect, at the same time, headphones and powered speakers to the Sony, can I simply switch between the two outputs (say, using the remote) and only one will be active? Or will connecting headphones mute the speakers (as on some other DAC/amp models).

Basically, I want to leave my headphones connected all the time and still be able to listen to speakers.

Thanks a bunch!

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,065 of 5,761
Hi, I've searched high and low for this and haven't able to find a definitive, clear answer:

If I connect, at the same time, headphones and powered speakers to the Sony, can I simply switch between the two outputs (say, using the remote) and only one will be active? Or will connecting headphones mute the speakers (as on some other DAC/amp models).

Basically, I want to leave my headphones connected all the time and still be able to listen to speakers.

Thanks a bunch!

You can change outputs on the remote.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2,066 of 5,761

Thanks a bunch!

Yes, you can leave headphones plugged in whilst using an amp or powered speakers. I had my Z1R plugged in whilst using my amp/speakers.

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,067 of 5,761
Hi,

I have a question regarding the comparisson between the TA-ZH1ES and the combination of TA-A1ES + WM-NW1A. I currently own the TA-A1ES and I combine it with the walkman NW1A. I am wondering if buying the TA-ZH1ES is actually an improvement. I see that the Walkman has more DSPs than the ZH1ES and it could be that the pure analog amplifier (TA-A1ES) actually sounds better than the ZH1ES. Could someone give me some hints on this comparisson?

I also own the Kimber cable for my Z1R, which is a good reason to get the ZH1ES given its 4.4mm output,,, but maybe that´s not worth investing so much.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #2,068 of 5,761
The TA will do a much better job driving the Z1R due to it having a more powerful amplifier.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #2,069 of 5,761
Thanks for your answer, but what TA are you refering to, the TA-A1ES or the TA-ZH1ES, I´m trying to compare 2 TA models basically?

The TA A1ES is a class A amplifier, with the same price tag as the TA ZH1ES.

I could imagine that since the ZH1ES and the Z1R were kinda developed together, makes sense, this combo outpeforms the other.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #2,070 of 5,761
They basically serve different market segments. One is a headphone amp designed to sit on a desk and be used for headphone listening. It has features for headphone listening like balanced outputs of every kind.

The other is designed as more of a rack based amplifier for driving speakers and also, headphones.

Since they are both Sony elevated standard I’m sure they are both great for slightly different applications. So it depends on your needs.

The A also doesn’t seem to have the dual DA amp circuitry and DSD remastering features.

Perhaps someone who has owned both can talk about sound quality differences but there are probably few who can or directly compare, perhaps a retailer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back