The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 10, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,367 of 5,761
They are available in the United States. You can buy them on Amazon.com right now. I live in the US and own one, bought it from a hi-fi retailler. They are just not a mass market consumer device, they are elevated standard, so probably there is a limited amount of them.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,368 of 5,761
Vertere - know it well as they make Naim's top of the line cables (branded Naim with Vertere's involvement kept "secret")

I am not quite sure if they are available Stateside? I will have to google it. 85gbp is quite reasonable

Doesn’t matter, it’s a cable. $115 US isn’t bad if the cable is good

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,369 of 5,761
They are available in the United States. You can buy them on Amazon.com right now. I live in the US and own one, bought it from a hi-fi retailler. They are just not a mass market consumer device, they are elevated standard, so probably there is a limited amount of them.

Amazon.com - where? Just searched and could not find it.

As for emailing the distributor - I did. They are completely useless. Score one for how not to do business

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,370 of 5,761
Mar 11, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,372 of 5,761
Thanks Jason
Referring to the Verterre USB cable
(If they make cables for Naim they must be good!)

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,375 of 5,761
I’m having a strange issue with the Vertere usb cable. I’m using it between an Auralic Aries Mini streamer and the TA-ZH1ES. The issue I have is that about once per hour the connection between the 2 devices is lost and the music stops playing. I can then hit play and the music continues. I never had this problem with the QED cable I used before and I have tried to switch back to the QED cable for some days and the issue didn’t happen but as soon as I switch back to the Vertere cable the issue reoccurs. I have several times e-mailed the company that sold it to me but have so far had no reply from them.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,376 of 5,761
I have several times e-mailed the company that sold it to me but have so far had no reply from them.

Sounds like the same problem I am having with the US importer. It took them one week to reply to my initial inquiry - then coming up on three week's of silence for the follow-up.

If I was Vertere and knew that this was how the importer was handling my USA business I would be PISSED

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,378 of 5,761
Hi, have anyone here compared the TA-ZH1ES with the Hugo 2? Would like to get some opinion on these 2. Thanks.

While it not exactly what you're after, I have the Sony TA-ZH1ES and Chord Qutest. The Sony is for iems with 4.4 balanced plug and the Qutest out to the BHSE and Stax 007. I have tested both DACs out to the BHSE and Stax headphones, and it's clear the Qutest is more resolving and transparent (using Roon and upsampling both to DSD256).

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,379 of 5,761
While it not exactly what you're after, I have the Sony TA-ZH1ES and Chord Qutest. The Sony is for iems with 4.4 balanced plug and the Qutest out to the BHSE and Stax 007. I have tested both DACs out to the BHSE and Stax headphones, and it's clear the Qutest is more resolving and transparent (using Roon and upsampling both to DSD256).

Thanks for the input. I’ve tried both the TA-ZH1ES and Hugo before but on separate occasions. From memory the Sony sounds a bit warmer and the Hugo is more transparent and neutral, but I found both to be musical and enjoyable. As I did not manage to A-B both together, can’t really tell which is the better sounding among the 2.

I most likely will only be using the combo as a stand-alone without pairing with another amp, as I’m mainly listening to iems and my HD800. Believe both will be able to suit my needs but can’t decide which will be the better option.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,380 of 5,761
Thanks for the input. I’ve tried both the TA-ZH1ES and Hugo before but on separate occasions. From memory the Sony sounds a bit warmer and the Hugo is more transparent and neutral, but I found both to be musical and enjoyable. As I did not manage to A-B both together, can’t really tell which is the better sounding among the 2.

I most likely will only be using the combo as a stand-alone without pairing with another amp, as I’m mainly listening to iems and my HD800. Believe both will be able to suit my needs but can’t decide which will be the better option.

I'd say the Hugo 2 in my view sounds better than the Sony. You're right in that the Sony is warmer, whereas the Hugo 2 is more transparent. But here's the thing, the Qutest out to the BHSE and Stax (which are incredibly resolving) is far more tonally correct and satisfying than the Sony. I'll also just mention the great thing about the Hugo is it's portable, especially with one of those nice Dignis cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back