The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #1,292 of 5,766
Good to see that this amp is getting more love recently, TA is so underrated and not many willing to try it. Same goes for Z1R.
I believe this is a great amp for folks who like plug-and-play devices and don't have time to tinker with every small bit of electronics. I feed mine with a ZX2 / mac mini and am more than happy with the SQ. It does the heavy lifting, has a great synergy with my headphones (Utopia, Andromeda, Vega) and my wife likes it enough for me to leave it outside for everyone to see. Win-Win in my book.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,293 of 5,766
TA setup is definitely cheaper than 1Z, unless I've missed some big sale :).

I actually meant
1Z/TA ($5500)
vs.
1Z stand alone ($3200)

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,294 of 5,766
7ZfXyMr.png

Give us a call at 310-534-9900 to order now!

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,298 of 5,766
Very good price indeed a lovely desktop unit that will not be beat @ the asking price! Loving mine. Now when the 1Z comes down to the 1A price - I'll bite.

Didn't you see their smoking deal on the 1Z on that thread? If you want one that is an offer not too pass up

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,300 of 5,766
So I just got the TA-ZH1ES today from Amazon.co.uk - both EU and UK power supply was included in the box...

Anyway, just wondering if I should be concerned about damaging the battery in my Sony walkman when it's connected to the amp because it keeps charging when turned on and in use. It's the 1A.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,301 of 5,766
For $1399 that's a steal for this amp. All you need is computer and headphones. No need to worry about a DAC. Yes, a dedicate setup is better but ZH1ES is a sweet system.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,302 of 5,766
Anyone have any experience running ROON endpoints such as the MicroRendu or UltraRendu with the TA??

Before I left home I quickly compared the 1Z vs. my old Sonicorbiter SE acting as a ROON endpoint (discontinued predecessor to the Rendu's).
It was a quick demo however I felt the Sonicorbiter SE was considerably better than the 1Z

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,303 of 5,766
I think there can be a few variables here. I see many posts on the relatively poor Sony stock connector cable WM to TA. Secondly I find the sound signature of my Z1R does change when I pair it with WM or TA. I usually leave the Z1R on my TA.

The role of the end point is to transfer the music digitally and in bit perfect (and timing). Arguably the end point should not be inferior than the WM1Z - unless there is a bottleneck upstream. Having said that, I recently changed my endpoint from Auralic Aries Mini to SOtM SMS200 Ultra and I prefer the SOtM on most genres.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,304 of 5,766
I think there can be a few variables here. I see many posts on the relatively poor Sony stock connector cable WM to TA. Secondly I find the sound signature of my Z1R does change when I pair it with WM or TA. I usually leave the Z1R on my TA.

The role of the end point is to transfer the music digitally and in bit perfect (and timing). Arguably the end point should not be inferior than the WM1Z - unless there is a bottleneck upstream. Having said that, I recently changed my endpoint from Auralic Aries Mini to SOtM SMS200 Ultra and I prefer the SOtM on most genres.

The supplied Walkman to ZH1ES is indeed holding the ZH1ES. Same can be said with the Sony Walkman to PHA3 connector. I would upgrade that cable for even better performance. Sadly not all digital cables are created equal.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,305 of 5,766

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I found the endpoint - in this case the Sonicorbiter SE - to be SUPERIOR to the WM1Z. And not by a small margin. It appears that you found the same based upon your comments of the upgrade from the Aries Mini to the SOtM.

So now the big question - how much better would a MicroRendu or UltraRendu be over my entry level Sonicorbiter SE - specifically on the TA?? Worth the significant investment??? And I guess at this point I might as well ask about the superiority of the SOtM - which I am unfamiliar with - over the Rendu products.

I have also found the sonic character of the Z1R to change from the 1Z to TA. Like you I have found an improvement when it runs off of the TA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back