The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,321 of 5,762
So doesn't the cable supplied with the TA to connect the 1Z to the side of the TA also output digital? Or does it output analogue which would mean that the side input micro USB port of the TA is analogue in ie the 1Z when using the supplied cable is outputting analogue and not digital
Supplied cable also does digital

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,322 of 5,762
Supplied cable also does digital

???
So what is the supplied cable outputting from the 1Z to the TA - analogue or digital?

I'm a bit confused

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,323 of 5,762
???
So what is the supplied cable outputting from the 1Z to the TA - analogue or digital?

I'm a bit confused
Digital. Get the dock my friend, if you're not happy with the supplied cable. Details in my signature

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,324 of 5,762
Digital. Get the dock my friend, if you're not happy with the supplied cable. Details in my signature

Yes everyone says get the dock. I'm surprised Sony shows the 1Z going directly into the TA with the supplied cable in all their marketing materials. And why they don't suggest the dock - or did not come up with a specific dock for the signature line.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,325 of 5,762
Question - the TA can only be used as a Dac/Amp - the two sections cannot be separated I.e. the TA cannot output an analogue signal which go to into a different headphone amplifier such as a Stax system?

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,326 of 5,762
Yes everyone says get the dock. I'm surprised Sony shows the 1Z going directly into the TA with the supplied cable in all their marketing materials. And why they don't suggest the dock - or did not come up with a specific dock for the signature line.

Just get the dock and a good USB cable and u will appreciate the ZH1ES even more. Simple, they just don't know any better with showing the combo with the supplied cable. The thing is they should have included cable with better quality to bring out even better sound from the signature amp/DAC unit.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,327 of 5,762
And a decent USB cable which won't break the bank? Any recommendations?

I actually have also been using a Sonore SonicOrbiter SE (a cheaper version of the MicroRendu) with a generic USB cable into the TA. This allows me to use ROON with the TA. It is quite impressive - IMHO even better than the 1Z into the TA using the same cheap generic USB cable that I used with the SonicOrbiter.

Any Stateside dealers selling the Sony dock?

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,328 of 5,762
I had to import mine from Japan. A good investment if you own a Walkman and want to use as a digital transport.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #1,329 of 5,762
Ok on the dock

And a decent USB cable not astronomically priced?

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #1,331 of 5,762
I will recommend furutech GT2pro USBA TO B cable, if you connect with PC

Btw, as I remember this TA amp have a 'preamp output' option in RCA connector for external connection

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,332 of 5,762
Question - the TA can only be used as a Dac/Amp - the two sections cannot be separated I.e. the TA cannot output an analogue signal which go to into a different headphone amplifier such as a Stax system?

Yes the TA has analog line out

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,333 of 5,762
Yes the TA has analog line out

I guess what has been "confusing" me is the terminology they use in the manual - "Pre Out".

So by utilizing the Pre Out the TA can be connected via RCA out to a Stax Energizer headphone amplifier - effectively utilizing the Sony as a DAC for a Stax headphone system?

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,334 of 5,762
I guess what has been "confusing" me is the terminology they use in the manual - "Pre Out".

So by utilizing the Pre Out the TA can be connected via RCA out to a Stax Energizer headphone amplifier - effectively utilizing the Sony as a DAC for a Stax headphone system?

Yes, and you can decide in the settings if you want a fixed or variable output signal. Pre Out means preamp output and is the signal before it goes to the power stage (in this case the headphone amp)

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,335 of 5,762
Yes, and you can decide in the settings if you want a fixed or variable output signal. Pre Out means preamp output and is the signal before it goes to the power stage (in this case the headphone amp)

Thank you for this - now it makes sense.
It also makes sense that fixed would be the setting for the output signal which would effectively make the TA's volume control inoperative and allow the Stax headphone amp to do its job.

I wonder if the fixed output setting disables and removes the TA's volume control circuitry from the equation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back