The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 1, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #1,021 of 5,761
  Were you able to figure it out? You have to turn on the DSD Remastering, and if you're using Analog in, you can specify the incoming bit rate down the line under the Menu options itself.

Thanks. Still figuring out. However when i use the Hi-Res player, it can detect DSD no issue. 

Looks like some configuration on Music Bee, or i should just move to JRiver instead.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,022 of 5,761
LOL.. Sony refused to let me give my review.
Looks like only "wow this product is awesome, best amp i ever used' will be posted.
Then they should fix their ratings to only 4 and 5 stars instead of having all 5 star option.

So far both their response, service and the particular TA i bought have been extremely poor and i had to call a spade a spade

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,024 of 5,761
Hi, I just found out about this amp/DAC today. I have read most of the posts. I have been researching stand-alone head phone amps and combo amps/DACs like this one. I am considering the Trilogy 933, a very high quality amp made in U.K.  I am also considering the Hugo 2, the Hugo TT 2 when it’s released, the Simaudio Neo 430 and Pass Labs HPA-1 among others.

I would like to see some more professional reviews on the Sony. HiFI Choice gave it four stars and gave the original Hugo five stars. I have a high quality DAC; the Aqua La Scala II so it probably makes more sense to purchase an amp. However, there is a lot more flexibility with a combo on where and how can use it.   

Anyway the price of the Sony is very good and this will be a secondary system for me. As far as buying it overseas, the five year warranty is worth the extra money to me unless the difference is more than about $400. If it breaks, Sony probably won't even look at it and you will have to find someone else to repair it or ship it back overseas. Most electronics do not have a five year warranty.  

I am going to Europe in two months and maybe I can buy the Hugo 2, if it is released by then or the Trilogy. I don’t think the Trilogy is sold in the U.S. so they might provide me a warranty. Aqua gave me a warranty because at the time they didn’t have any dealers in the U.S and I purchased it from them.

I purchased a used Reimyo DAC overseas with no warranty and I used a converter. I didn't notice any noise issues. Anyway, I will continue to read the comments here. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,025 of 5,761
Hi, I just found out about this amp/DAC today. HiFI Choice gave it four stars and gave the original Hugo five stars. Anyway, I will continue to read the comments here. 
Stop reading reviews and worrying about the "stars". Go for a demo. If it sounds good, bring it home. Everything else is irrelevant.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,026 of 5,761
I would also love to hear some comparisons between Hugo/Hugo2 and TA-ZH1ES. There is no actual possibility to go hear those anywhere nearby where I live. I've actually ordered TA-ZH1ES already, but I've started to hesitate since Hugo2 is coming and also 4 stars vs 5 stars from What Hi-Fi is putting more gas into flames.

The setup will be desktop rig, so portability question is not an issue. Nor am I going to upgrade the system anyhow with any speakers/dedicated amp, because it's coming to an office. What I need is compact dac+headphone amp combo to rip best out of my MDR-Z1R that I love. Only SQ is considered.

I've read from several places that Hugo sounds "rhythmic" and "lively", which to my ears sounds really nice. However I've also understood that the bass side has not been the first thing in their mind when designing Hugo and currently the biggest thing I'm missing when playing Z1R through Beresford TC-7520 is the bass impact that I got out of these when played with RHA L1. However with RHA I missed some details and I'm hoping my DAC/Amp to somehow combine these (bass impact + details) and so take me to closed-back musical heaven.

Based on what I've read about TA-ZH1ES, I've understood that it should do just that. However Hugo is rhythmic and only 4 stars for TA... Am I missing something? Who does prefer Hugo and who TA-ZH1ES and why?

I already have HD800 connected to LA-100+DNA Sonett, so I'm looking something from "the darker side" to complement the package without compromising "liveliness". I guess what I'm afraid is that ZH1ES is boring or missing rhythm since I'm comparing it to Hugo that is said to be lively and rhythmic :)

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,027 of 5,761
I can't help you with a Hugo/Hugo2 comparison. I think you should however compare it to the TT variant, since you are comparing one desktop variant with another. I know there is a crazy difference in price, but I'd personally never opt for such a small/light item for desktop use - you'l pull it all over the table when you move the headphone cable, especially if you are sitting at a far distance from the Chord.

Regarding the 4 stars: That was also worrying me to no end. But I took a chance on the TA-ZH1ES, and I honestly can't tell what it is that What Hi-fi might be hearing on the analog inputs that they don't like. I'm more inclined to think that their analog source is either not up to par with their digital sources, or the ADC is clipping due to incorrect input levels.
I'm using the ZH1 with a Thorens TD2001 turntable, with Benz Micro Silver MC cart together with a Thel Audio Phono-X RIAA. Prior to the ZH1, I was outputting the Phono-X output to an Emmeline XP-7. The ZH1 produces a much, much cleaner sound - effortless and layered. Nothing less than a day/night difference. You can surely do better, but you are going to pay for it.
And regarding What Hi-fi and their reviews: At least some of their reviews are biased and with cons that don't make any sense. Especially, if something becomes too mainstream, e.g. Sony, NAD, Onkoy etc. then it isn't "special enough" to receive much critical acclaim. Take a look at some of their other reviews, also for different product categories.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #1,028 of 5,761
I agree reviews are not the "end all be all" but they are something to consider. They test a wide variety of products so their opinion does have some weight. 

In an ideal world a dealer would have every amp and headphone and we could test them all at the same time. 

The Sony has a lot to offer in a small package. However, l am leaning towards the Trilogy if I can get one connected to my DAC. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,029 of 5,761
I agree reviews are not the "end all be all" but they are something to consider. They test a wide variety of products so their opinion does have some weight. 

In an ideal world a dealer would have every amp and headphone and we could test them all at the same time. 

The Sony has a lot to offer in a small package. However, l am leaning towards the Trilogy if I can get one connected to my DAC. 

Hey! TSAV is that ideal world :earth_americas: :grin::grin::thumbsup_tone1: ......sorry couldn't resist. :joy:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 6, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,030 of 5,761
Yes, you have some great product lines but you are too far away.  
frown.gif
confused.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,031 of 5,761
  I can't help you with a Hugo/Hugo2 comparison. I think you should however compare it to the TT variant, since you are comparing one desktop variant with another. I know there is a crazy difference in price, but I'd personally never opt for such a small/light item for desktop use - you'l pull it all over the table when you move the headphone cable, especially if you are sitting at a far distance from the Chord.

Regarding the 4 stars: That was also worrying me to no end. But I took a chance on the TA-ZH1ES, and I honestly can't tell what it is that What Hi-fi might be hearing on the analog inputs that they don't like. I'm more inclined to think that their analog source is either not up to par with their digital sources, or the ADC is clipping due to incorrect input levels.
I'm using the ZH1 with a Thorens TD2001 turntable, with Benz Micro Silver MC cart together with a Thel Audio Phono-X RIAA. Prior to the ZH1, I was outputting the Phono-X output to an Emmeline XP-7. The ZH1 produces a much, much cleaner sound - effortless and layered. Nothing less than a day/night difference. You can surely do better, but you are going to pay for it.
And regarding What Hi-fi and their reviews: At least some of their reviews are biased and with cons that don't make any sense. Especially, if something becomes too mainstream, e.g. Sony, NAD, Onkoy etc. then it isn't "special enough" to receive much critical acclaim. Take a look at some of their other reviews, also for different product categories.

Thanks Daroid. Not going to use those analog inputs though, but instead planning it to be the one and only workhorse between Z1R and PC. What I've heard is that Hugo2 may sound even better than TT so that's why I was interested in it. TT is currently out of my budget. Also I'm going to sit right in front of the desk all the time so I won't have that long chord -issue. Also along with "proper" desktop unit you are always paying extra for more inputs and outputs that I'm not going to need. Just want the most enjoyable sound with 2500€, Z1R and PC - preferably in a "compact" (ie. not several components that occupy a lot of desk space) package.

Good to hear (again) that ZH1ES works for somebody and that someone is questioning the missing star. After listening Z1R with 10+ different sources, I'm now convinced that our friends from Sony know something about sound. But still, why is not everybody with Z1Rs screaming and buying ZH1ESs? :)

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,032 of 5,761

But still, why is not everybody with Z1Rs screaming and buying ZH1ESs? :)

I'm guessing it's partially because it is Sony's first attempt at a serious desktop headphone amp, whereas OEMs like Chord has already build quite a reputation for themselves.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,033 of 5,761
Some people have said the amp is warm sounding and - combined with an already warm Z1R- might not be an ideal match.

I know it is strange as they are part of an eco system

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,034 of 5,761
Hmm... Both true. Myself, I feel like Z1R could have even some more warmness. For example with Dragonfly red, Beresford TC-7520 and LA-100 it's a bit too bright to me to be my fun can. It may be as well that what I'm looking for from Z1R differs from others... Definitely if I was to listen classical with it, I wouldn't consider ZH1ES. To me closed=fun automatically, but it was just my narrow mindedness to think everyone is looking for the same thing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back