The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #9,616 of 11,341
It definitely does not

I should say unless you're willing to hit really high volume levels. I take mine as a travel set (hotel or whatever) but I also carry my MDR1000X for the flight. On aircraft you really do want noise cancellation
Thank you Jason.
I will get myself a MDR1000X.
Between, I've had my MDR-Z1R for about 2 weeks and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Sadly, my HD700 which I love is not getting any use these days.

May 13, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #9,617 of 11,341
Yes, the fit of the Slappa case is a little tight at first, but loosens up after a day or two. I love it--no extra bulk than what you need and great protection.

May 13, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #9,618 of 11,341
After using the Sony Kimber Kable for 2 months ,, i think i like the stock cable more
Kimber Kable loose a lot of details in the presence area and darken the Z1R more than it should !

now i am looking for a pure silver cable or silver/gold ..... any suggestions ?

May 13, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #9,619 of 11,341
Yes, the fit of the Slappa case is a little tight at first, but loosens up after a day or two. I love it--no extra bulk than what you need and great protection.

Which Slappa? There are two in the original quote.

May 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #9,620 of 11,341
The first one I should think, the secon looks to fit only foldable phones

May 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #9,621 of 11,341
The June Stereophile arrived today. The Chord DAVE was the cover story. The SONY Z1R also made it in a review by H. Reichert.
He compares the Z1R to the Audeze LCD4 and Focal Utopia, yeah he thinks the SONY is that great.

Stereophile Chord DAVE IMG_4511.jpg

Funny the Chord DAVE ad runs right next to the SONY Z1R. It is a fantastic combination, by the way.

Stereophile SONY Z1R IMG_4513.jpg

May 13, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #9,622 of 11,341
May 13, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #9,623 of 11,341
The June Stereophile arrived today. The Chord DAVE was the cover story. The SONY Z1R also made it in a review by H. Reichert.
He compares the Z1R to the Audeze LCD4 and Focal Utopia, yeah he thinks the SONY is that great.

Funny the Chord DAVE ad runs right next to the SONY Z1R. It is a fantastic combination, by the way.

Great, now just post a photo of page two so we can read the conclusion of the review :wink:

May 14, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #9,625 of 11,341
If That's true, that is so out of the left field... I want to know how the review goes as well :wink:

May 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #9,626 of 11,341
I finally got my MDR-Z1R review up, maybe some will find useful information here..These things are pretty great!

May 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #9,627 of 11,341
The author concludes saying that if he has to live with one pair of HP's it would be the AudioQuest Nightowl :wink: I have both, though Nightowl's are great overall, the Z1R has the command over the instruments and musically very fulfilling than the Nightowl's

Wow! That's very ironic as I am coming from the Nightowl to the Z1R as my top closed back headphone. I would guess price vs. performance was a big factor?

The Nightowl is very good sonically and supremely comfortable, but, the Z1R is very comfortable and supremely musical so pick your preference. In my opinion the Z1R is in a different class than the Nightowl. Of course the elephant in the room is price, but considering the Z1R as a whole (craftsmanship, materials, design, performance etc.) I think the Z1R is worth it.

It's been a long time since I read a copy of Stereophile but I am going to go pick up a copy just to read this article.

p.s. - listening to Silvia Droste's "Willow Weep for Me" as I type. If you have the Z1R and like jazz and vocals have a listen!

May 14, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #9,628 of 11,341
The author concludes saying that if he has to live with one pair of HP's it would be the AudioQuest Nightowl :wink: I have both, though Nightowl's are great overall, the Z1R has the command over the instruments and musically very fulfilling than the Nightowl's

Yes, I read the articles yesterday and i was very confused when he mentioned the NightOwl instead of the Sonys.

I have a Sony credit card with a lot of credit on it, which apparently can only be used at a Sony store. I called Sony and they couldn't give me the name of one store I could call. As you know they closed most of them a few years ago, Does anyone know of one? There is one in NYC and I will call them tomorrow. I would like to buy these headphones.

Sony sends me an email each month telling me that I have a lot of credit available, too bad I cannot use it. :triportsad:

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #9,629 of 11,341
I forgot to mention, I did some other research on the Sony MDR-Z1R headphones besides reading some of the posts here.

What HiFi stated they are the best closed-back headphones they have heard with the right electronics. https://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-z1r/review. I am sure this review has been cited before.

I find the British hifi press to be much more critical of equipment than the American hifi press, so if they say they are the best they have heard, I would believe it.

May 14, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,630 of 11,341
After listening to the Z1R at RMAF and then Axpona I decided to pull the trigger and just got them Thursday.
I am using the WireWorld Nano Platinum Eclipse (OCC Silver) cable and they just sound fantastic!
As you can see in my signature I have some TOL headphones in my collection and these Sony fit right with them in luring the Utopia. With the Silver cable thcable bass is tighter and the transparency and air in the soundstage presentation is second to none with out loosing the sweet midrange.
I am really impress with them and happy that I pulled the trigger. I love my MHP1000 but these headphones are taking over the first place for closed headphones in my collection.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back