The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #9,586 of 11,341
I don't own the WA22, but I auditioned it a number of times and didn't feel it was a great pairing with the Z1R. I was so unimpressed that it was a big part of the reason I didn't end up with the WA22 even though I loved the pairing with my HE1000 v2 and thought the amp has stunning good looks which matters to me. I had actually been pretty set on the WA22 util i bought the Z1R and heard the pairing. The WA22 softened the Z1R up too much and it lost much of its control and clarity and it loosened up the bass too much. Lost a bit of it's energy too which is a differentiator for me when I want a departure from the slightly more laid back HE1000 for certain genres. The Z1R is a bit warm and the WA22 added warmth didn't seem to be fitting. Might be able to mitigate that with the right tubes though.

With all that said, it's not like it sounded like crap or anything, but for as much as the Z1R costs, I felt it was important to find an amp that brought the best out in it. I ended up buying a Wells Audio Milo after auditioning the Enigma. I don't have it yet (i'll hopefully have it in about a week or so), and i'll post impressions when I do. The Enigma sounded great with both my Z1R and HE1000 v2 so i'm hoping for much of the same form the Milo.

How did the Wells Audio Milo pairing with rhe Z1R change the sound, or make the Z1R shine? I have heard that the Milo is just a great pairing for many high end headphones, like the abyss, Z1R, HE-6, and HEK. But what exactly for you makes it an awesome pairing?

Thanks.

May 10, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #9,587 of 11,341
I would like to pair my recently purchased Sony MDR-Z1R with an AK380 DAP+AMP throught the 2.5mm balanced output.

Could anyone recommend me a cable finished with that plug?
Any idea?

May 10, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #9,589 of 11,341
Mm...Any of the cable makers can terminate with 2.5 mm. (bespoke cable). Inquire from Effect Audio and PlusSound as a start.
Thanks for the reply.
I agree with you, but I just wanted to know the opinion of anyone who is using one. I don't know what kind of cable is better (copper, silver...) for these headphones.

May 10, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #9,590 of 11,341
Thanks for the reply.
I agree with you, but I just wanted to know the opinion of anyone who is using one. I don't know what kind of cable is better (copper, silver...) for these headphones.

There's no better, just personal preference.

If you read the thread some prefer silver because supposedly it makes the phone less dark, others stick with copper because they like the phone just the way it is. You have to pick your own poison.

May 10, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #9,591 of 11,341
Mm...the official cable is copper. Personally, I am using Nordost Heimdall 2 (balanced is 4 pin xlr). The H2 is from my Focal Utopia and I had an adaptor made for the Z1R (headphone side). You may want to try the Axios (beautiful -looking cable) for your Z1R. If you want over-the-top, Axios silver. I cannot tell you what type of cable suits your preference. You just have to audition what is out there. It is personal.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #9,592 of 11,341
I demoed the Sony Kimber cable (se) and it doesnt improve the sound and its stiff.

May 10, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #9,595 of 11,341
I demoed the Sony Kimber cable (se) and it doesnt improve the sound and its stiff.

I recently got the 4.4mm balanced Sony Kimber Kable, not sure it makes any difference but it just feels more complete and pretty. :beyersmile:

That said I don't think Kimber Kables are stiff in general, in fact I think they are often on the softer/flexible side compared with most aftermarket cables I've touched.

May 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #9,596 of 11,341
20170510_201415-1.jpg
20170510_201409-1.jpg
20170510_201409-1.jpg
Glad you enjoy it. Im in Hong Kong where one can demo everything before buying. It does look better. Here is a pic of the Sony stock cable compared to a upgrade cable.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #9,597 of 11,341
I would like to pair my recently purchased Sony MDR-Z1R with an AK380 DAP+AMP throught the 2.5mm balanced output.

Could anyone recommend me a cable finished with that plug?

Before you do, you may want to consider...
I've had my AK380 cu and amp for about a year now and since then found out that there is an inherent problem with the balanced output on the AK380. A couple of the members pointed this out to me quoting some reviews/literature. Someone said that the balanced output on the AK380 sounded like a $500 phone. I agree. Since then, I have been using the SE output only. If and when you do get a balanced cable, do an A/B test and you will know what I mean. The balanced output is noticeably quieter than the SE with virtually non-existent sound stage and separation. It gets equally loud with the amp, but everything sounds linear and flat compared to the SE output. FYI

May 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #9,598 of 11,341
Before you do, you may want to consider...
I've had my AK380 cu and amp for about a year now and since then found out that there is an inherent problem with the balanced output on the AK380. A couple of the members pointed this out to me quoting some reviews/literature. Someone said that the balanced output on the AK380 sounded like a $500 phone. I agree. Since then, I have been using the SE output only. If and when you do get a balanced cable, do an A/B test and you will know what I mean. The balanced output is noticeably quieter than the SE with virtually non-existent sound stage and separation. It gets equally loud with the amp, but everything sounds linear and flat compared to the SE output. FYI

Is that just an issue on the AK380? I have an AK240 and don't remember the balanced output sounding that bad. I used the 240 with the JH Audio Layla's and the combination was pretty awesome via the balanced output

May 10, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #9,599 of 11,341
Not sure about AK240, didn't hear anything about it.

I didn't know about AK380 for several months, I mean why would I doubt it?? I thought it was good, maybe because it was suppose to be good. Kind of embarrassing, not having the golden ears. But I am pretty new to this hobby. After I got my KSE1500, I couldn't believe how bad my Layla ii's sounded connected to AK380 cu + amp via balanced output. So I started to question.

You should sit down in a quiet room and seriously analyze, A/B test, whatever. Don't be like me.

May 11, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #9,600 of 11,341
Not sure about AK240, didn't hear anything about it.

I didn't know about AK380 for several months, I mean why would I doubt it?? I thought it was good, maybe because it was suppose to be good. Kind of embarrassing, not having the golden ears. But I am pretty new to this hobby. After I got my KSE1500, I couldn't believe how bad my Layla ii's sounded connected to AK380 cu + amp via balanced output. So I started to question.

You should sit down in a quiet room and seriously analyze, A/B test, whatever. Don't be like me.
to be honest, my AK240 has not seen any use since i got the Sony NW-WM1A but color me intrigued. I might test out the set-up this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back