The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #8,461 of 11,341
... LOL but trust me i knit picked way to much i am just enjoying these for what they are and am much happier that way.

Ha ha, I guess if you can't beat them you can just join them!

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #8,462 of 11,341

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Professional-Broadcasting-Microphone-Hermitshell/dp/B01LZK3SKZ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=JWPX9MEFDNXJKHMW9XK3&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop

Hmm, I kinda like it. Looks a bit tight, right at the limit. No pressure that can deform the cups? Maybe it's just the angle.
Overall it seems just about the right light portable storage version for the Z1R, if rigid enough.

But if logical practical purists allow me - I still think the default wood/leatherish/satin case kicks a@s like a premium product should.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #8,463 of 11,341
Sto;; going back in circles here.

Enjoying these venerable silver classics at the moment. Suck a peculiar model. What is great about them is still awesome and what annoyed me before still remains annoying. Yet, still fun. Puzzling creature the 800.

Anyway, finding the comparison with the Z1R interesting. The 800S I had were smoother and closer to the Z1R, but now there's a bit more grain and resolution on the Senns, making the comparison more interesting if you're not just focusing on bass and air (Z1R can't compete there).

beerchug.gif
to @gikigill for this Senn' "the original silverish 800" moment, btw.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #8,465 of 11,341

Hmm, I kinda like it. Looks a bit tight, right at the limit. No pressure that can deform the cups? Maybe it's just the angle.
Overall it seems just about the right light portable storage version for the Z1R, if rigid enough.

But if logical practical purists allow me - I still think the default wood/leatherish/satin case kicks a@s like a premium product should.

It's a semi-hard case, so no pressure on thh cups unless you want to sit on it, which I am very much sure you won't 
biggrin.gif

I bought it for the Z7 and have used it a couple of times. Very handy and possibly the smallest you can find.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #8,466 of 11,341
  It's a semi-hard case, so no pressure on thh cups unless you want to sit on it, which I am very much sure you won't 
biggrin.gif

I bought it for the Z7 and have used it a couple of times. Very handy and possibly the smallest you can find.

I did sit on a few things by accident, but I don't see it happening with the Z1R. IEMs are the usual victims.
Seems like the a good case for the Z1R quick moves that don't require super protection then. I'll see if I can order one around here, thanks for sharing. :D

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #8,469 of 11,341
Apart from the kimber Axios, are there other aftermarket cable makers that have the screw lock termination?

Sure. You can always ask your manufacturer to get you on of these screw types. I know they are out there. If you need a contact, PM me.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #8,470 of 11,341
Fyi - one of the best albums to see if your 3rd party cable indeed captures a more expansive soundscape + extended treble + inner detail is The Tallis Scholars' [Requiem] on Gimell Records. Non-instrumental a capella music of Spanish Renaissance polyphony. Whether you're into early music or not, you'll quickly be able to tell whether you are hearing "more/better" when you A/B the new cables with stock. Listen for the articulation & the plosives, the drawing of breaths, and also the contrapuntal lines from soprano down, the spatial cues in the recording venue (churches in northern England). The music is amazing, that's the first thing of course:

http://www.gimell.com/recording-Requiem.aspx

Great recordings and lovely music. Thank you for pointing it out

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #8,472 of 11,341
I wonder what the difference is between the 2.76 hd driver compared to a 70mm hd driver. Isnt it the same thing?

2.76 is inches and 70 is mm

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #8,474 of 11,341
Sto;; going back in circles here.

Enjoying these venerable silver classics at the moment. Suck a peculiar model. What is great about them is still awesome and what annoyed me before still remains annoying. Yet, still fun. Puzzling creature the 800.

Anyway, finding the comparison with the Z1R interesting. The 800S I had were smoother and closer to the Z1R, but now there's a bit more grain and resolution on the Senns, making the comparison more interesting if you're not just focusing on bass and air (Z1R can't compete there).

:beerchug: to @gikigill
for this Senn' "the original silverish 800" moment, btw.

The 800 is a peculiar headphone, absolute champion in some areas but not as enjoyable as the Sony in my opinion

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #8,475 of 11,341
Hi folks, how does the Kimber cable sounds like, do you think it's worth the upgrade ?

Different opinions on this thread on these cables.
My own opinion is that the Sony KK is an improvement, making the headphone even more musical through better timbre and more open with vocals.
Others disagree, I haven't heard the Axios, I have bought and returned the Silver Dragon which I didn't think complemented the Z1R well but that might not be a trait of the Silver just the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back