The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #7,096 of 11,341
That is really interesting as I am moving away from your earphones/iems and more into headphones precisely because I've been reading about Adel technology and how earphones can place a lot of pressure on the eardrums by blocking the passageway...Didn't think you'd get ear pressure issues with cans , esp if played at moderate levels...Or is it also due to closed vs open cans?

I only had pressure problems with se846. No problems with Z1R or m50x .As for qc35, the pressure can be slightly disconcerting for me at first, but I got used to it.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #7,097 of 11,341
Just don't understand why some people said that the stock cable is good.

For me the stock cable is pretty bad actually, lacks of treble extension and the bass is a bit loose.

Japanese headphones are usually with pretty decent cable(like th900, d7000 etc), so I just don't understand why sony make an excellent $2000 headphone with $100 cable.

A/B with stock cable of T1 2gen, the t1 cable is the clear winner.(with better high end extension,tighter bass and more accurate imaging but still a bit dark)

Z1R is a TOTL but not with the stock cable.(the stock cable make Z1R sound like a sub $1000 HP)

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #7,098 of 11,341
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #7,099 of 11,341
Really, most people seem to accept that cables make at best a tiny difference so you are suggesting that they make a massive difference like that? Well, it is subjective, but this is well away from most other cable believers that I have encountered.

Well, I think if the headphone with a very nice stock cable, then there is no need to change that.

Because the stock cable usually is the part of sound signature that the manufacturer want you to heard.

I wouldn't say "tiny" difference in Z1R's case because the stock cable is poor.

And I actually hate to buy upgrade cable for HP because I have to spend more, but Z1R just make me have no choice.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #7,100 of 11,341
Well, I think if the headphone with a very nice stock cable, then there is no need to change that.

Because the stock cable usually is the part of sound signature that the manufacturer want you to heard.

I wouldn't say "tiny" difference in Z1R's case because the stock cable is poor.

And I actually hate to buy upgrade cable for HP because I have to spend more, but Z1R just make me have no choice.

​Well, I go from the stock Z1R cable to a Litz Norne Audio cable and I can't detect the least difference, but that is just me. Anyway, cable discussions usually go around in circles so I will just say it is good they make a difference for you, you are lucky.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #7,101 of 11,341

Hv you tried the Z1R with it?
The meze is a bassy headphone, yet it pairs excellently with it, I suspect it will have the same effect with the Z1R

I haven't...but the Z1R's aren't that hard to drive and for a DAP under $500, this would be my #1 recommendation.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #7,102 of 11,341
Haha for sure. It wouldn't be just your opinion, but if it's even close to the SZ then it'll be just fine for me. I'm not extreme extreme basshead since I want my hearing to last haha. And all the talk here about the nice midrange is also very persuasive.
Oh man! If you are not an extreme basshead then hold on tight and prepare to be amazed! that's all I have to say, and as a bonus, if you feel like pushing the bass, you will get it to very satisfying levels!

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #7,103 of 11,341

​Well, I go from the stock Z1R cable to a Litz Norne Audio cable and I can't detect the least difference, but that is just me. Anyway, cable discussions usually go around in circles so I will just say it is good they make a difference for you, you are lucky.

Regardless if cable changes the sounds, one thing we can't deny is that it does change the look 
wink_face.gif
  I have to admit that it's part of reason for my 'upgrade'. At the end of the day it's all about if you can enjoy the gears and music.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #7,104 of 11,341

Interesting that they give you earache. They do exactly the same with me. My left ear feels blocked and I've had tinnitus in both ears for a few weeks. I thought it was an ear infection, even went on antibiotics for it.

I bought a SPL meter to check i'm not playing too loud, and don't even reach 70 peak db usually, so it's not that. It got to the stage that I couldn't listen to music much for the last week. Last night I tried using my IEMs, Sony MDR-EX1000s. After a couple of hours listening my left ear felt less blocked and the tinnitus had almost gone. Tonight I used the Z1Rs again and after 20 minutes or so my left ear started hurting. EX100s back in and fine.

Any body else come across this?

Yes, I have the same problem with my left ear.  IEMs are fine, but any type of closed headphone causes problems, some worse than others. 

Some suggestions I have are to try to get as much pressure off the surrounding area of your ear (loosening the headband helps).  At least try to make the clamp pressure as equalized as possible around your entire ear so it's not focused in one spot.  

And make sure you don't have any impacted wax or something like that.  I have allergies and have been trying some decongestants like Zyrtec-D which seems to help sometimes.  It might just be the winter that's worse for it too, now that the weather is warming up and there's more humidity in the air, it's not quite as bad for me lately.  

I don't have any wax issues etc, in fact my hearing is exceptionally good (shouldn't be given the years of nightclub accuser but there you go.

The Z1r's are not tight at all and I don't unfortunately have the option to loosen them off otherwise they wouldn't stay on!

That is really interesting as I am moving away from your earphones/iems and more into headphones precisely because I've been reading about Adel technology and how earphones can place a lot of pressure on the eardrums by blocking the passageway...Didn't think you'd get ear pressure issues with cans , esp if played at moderate levels...Or is it also due to closed vs open cans?

I don't play music loud however my ears are very sensitive to pressure (I can feel for example when the pressure drops and it's going to start raining).

With fully closed cans it's a bit like when coming in to land on an airplane-that kind of discomfort in my ears.

That said the Z1r's are an exquisite object-beautifully designed and made just not for me unfortunately.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #7,105 of 11,341
I don't have any wax issues etc, in fact my hearing is exceptionally good (shouldn't be given the years of nightclub accuser but there you go.

The Z1r's are not tight at all and I don't unfortunately have the option to loosen them off otherwise they wouldn't stay on!
I don't play music loud however my ears are very sensitive to pressure (I can feel for example when the pressure drops and it's going to start raining).

With fully closed cans it's a bit like when coming in to land on an airplane-that kind of discomfort in my ears.

That said the Z1r's are an exquisite object-beautifully designed and made just not for me unfortunately.

Then you should get open back cans like hd800s

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #7,107 of 11,341
My women never said "go for it"...I just snook out my money :wink: and keeping it away from her attentions.

Well it's been in my amazon basket many times. I could hide it but that would take some if the fun out I think.

I bought a dirtbike without consent once so I've kinda been in the dog house since then haha. No hiding that thing.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7,108 of 11,341
Oh man! If you are not an extreme basshead then hold on tight and prepare to be amazed! that's all I have to say, and as a bonus, if you feel like pushing the bass, you will get it to very satisfying levels!

Extreme is subjective of course, but I do amp and eq my thx00 and sz2000 to the "extreme" specs layed out by the basshead forum. But I also listen to a lot of female vocals, jazz, classical, etc. My sz has almost become obsolete since the x00 just has such a better overall sq and still satisfies in the bass.

So I'm ecstatic to hear that the z1r can be pushed when desired and still do everything else remarkably well. They really oughtta combine the best aspects of both headphones and take them to the next level as the ultimate hifi bass monster for me.

Really appreciate the feedback here. I've been waiting for the info like this for months now haha.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #7,109 of 11,341

Well SD I agree with you that this is a no-end subject but I challenge anyone to A/B test the stock cable and the Sony-Kimber cable and NOT notice the difference. I am not saying it's huge but it's noticeable.

I trust Sony would not launch these cables purely for marketing reasons

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #7,110 of 11,341
There is a difference between the Kimber and stock - the Kimber seems to have deeper bass impact but the stock gives more sparkle up top. I just find the Kimber to be a tad too dark for me. Plus, the cable is stiff and awkward. I returned it. The stock is fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back