The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #6,992 of 11,341
I am a believer in each individual having their own opinion and I think I see your point however if I understand your perspective correctly it still seems a bit convoluted.

you ask him to provide an example in support of his post (which i don't think required any further explanation) and when he goes to the trouble of doing it, you then describe it as convoluted

Agreed.  This is one of the reasons for price hikes.  

___

At any rate, technology to me is not mystical and immaterial.  It's a very real concept, driven by very real people - engineers, scientists, etc.   I'd like to see huge prices matched with quantifiable improvements, is all.  And when they aren't, I like to ask why.

I'm on no moral high road here.  Just a sample point seeking to offer an alternative perspective on an issue.  I think healthy discussion, is, well, healthy.

fair enough

I do see it as you taking the higher ground. I see it as a fair statement of opinion

i don't think that he's trying to take the high moral ground at all - it's not a moral issue. he's expressing a critical opinion regarding price/performance ratios in the high-end segment of the headphone market as i understand it

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #6,993 of 11,341
you ask him to provide an example in support of his post (which i don't think required any further explanation) and when he goes to the trouble of doing it, you then describe it as convoluted
fair enough
i don't think that he's trying to take the high moral ground at all - it's not a moral issue. he's expressing a critical opinion regarding price/performance ratios in the high-end segment of the headphone market as i understand it
My apologies, I meant to write "Don't see it as the high road"

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #6,996 of 11,341
Echoing some of the impressions here in this thread, the Sony Z1R has got that sweet sound that doesn't need any EQ to achieve, right out of the box.
A 110 hrs later, the sound is still sweet, sub bass still thumps my chest when the orchestral pieces calls for it. Details like the coarseness of his voice of Lewis Armstrong when he sang the endnotes, how yoshida brothers plucked and strummed their shamisens, the vibration of the strings, to the lushness of female vocals on jazz pieces, everything is there and without the need for any eq adjustments from my part.

I really enjoyed the Z1R so far. Sony has made a pair of headphones that's my cup of tea.
To Sony engineers:
Taihen ni Arigatougozaima****a.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #6,997 of 11,341
Day 1 - Join the Z1R club :)  

Out of the box l already like the how Z1R sounds - the smoothness of mid-rage is very enjoyable.

vKAMPJJgOXvv0kH9x3A4swzitJWpmvTX5KGC8Mp5hjF8T_AOcLpd6FiO2CpNiBDvyfZI9-Xo0MM9AGOQgy0O4MqhLlUcv9SU7VnGEL7BFLhKwIZJnM4XcZeLovxw_RSwRYmc_pe7Qt6Vx-rYFXNqbT21yJRuPMFMjgqClmLDBre6AH1RIEOD9ypDNrfCNnEVMc95qnLDqlUdua4LyJeThBMrq_WzLR3JB2FTcORmuHqOr9JVMQ2j3sADbtIwjeCe5ewZVp6CZSp-vsClaKoiacMEF_gbole4-1qo3wSGj5q-MnjQjHg9BpB3_HXWqJ56J4FaT0VfWQPusO7HBRWCMiJiNAVLOSvhkb7c4Kb--K9f9c6iTaVnc7s8FuNVZQjNw1W-rIm7W0r9N2NJigQ9qKxJ6zOioQbbpJfNHkIiiTebrvC4jwMtskxwArbeA3pjSQ1JhaC7AXs1pN2f5A2nN8HyZmBSgkI2QciOvAdlDmMXjzifuk4t0-tQgcwZjhsHHMIevLYduH5ju-Vxo0NhaLw-PYA6kx6gqT1C2slrW0uiCYkgmJQ_O5fxyH6ccnNvdkaeW-3OjQFruGkRI3QoMpqpmjrk4Yradh2d3gEGmthCe-UXP3dt=w1440-h1918-no

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #7,002 of 11,341
Can someone confirm how these headphone sound when used with high quality movies? Is the sound immersive,like 3D surround sound?
Is dragonfly red DAC good enough to drive them properly? I am hoping the sound and comfort is superior to EFC.

I have the DragonFly Red. More than enough to drive them. It sounds really good with the Z1R. Even the Black is a good pairing.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #7,003 of 11,341
Playing with the Black Label. Despite being a bit on the warm side, it does not pair badly with the Z1R. The 3D-thingy is somewhat weird tho. It's usually quite unnecessary and often detrimental, but there are a few tracks/albums where it widens up the Z1R.. bit of an HD800 sense of space, given the limitation. Gotta explore it a bit more...

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #7,005 of 11,341
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back