The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2,702 of 11,341
@Whitigir, I'm with you where musicality and engagement come into the headphone experience. I have been at this for a while, and I have found that as my quest to experience as many sound signatures as I can reasonably afford I have come to realize that I want a more musical, and less reference sound signature most of the time. To date I think my favourite headphone has been the HD800S, followed by the HE560, but I am now more and more drawn to musical tonality, even if that means losing some resolution or detail along the way. I'm thinking the Z1R will have enough sound quality to satisfy my need for accuracy balanced with engaging and warmish tonality. I don't mind some bass emphasis, I actually like it a great deal, as long as it isn't so out of proportion to the other frequencies, and of good quality I think forward bass totally works. And if it needs to be dialed back a little, well, that is what a parametric equalizer is for.  

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #2,703 of 11,341
@Whitigir, I'm with you where musicality and engagement come into the headphone experience. I have been at this for a while, and I have found that as my quest to experience as many sound signatures as I can reasonably afford I have come to realize that I want a more musical, and less reference sound signature most of the time. To date I think my favourite headphone has been the HD800S, followed by the HE560, but I am now more and more drawn to musical tonality, even if that means losing some resolution or detail along the way. I'm thinking the Z1R will have enough sound quality to satisfy my need for accuracy balanced with engaging and warmish tonality. I don't mind some bass emphasis, I actually like it a great deal, as long as it isn't so out of proportion to the other frequencies, and of good quality I think forward bass totally works. And if it needs to be dialed back a little, well, that is what a parametric equalizer is for.  
Yeah, what I meant is a top of the line references from Sony :). They are not there yet

In support of Z1R lovers...Back to the question of references, I think with headphones measurement accuracy to source does not equate to live musical enjoyment in headphones simply because a headphone that aims to recreate a 'live' experience has to also emulate the effect of the room.

Looking at the sloped frequency response and the bass spectral decay, these are what one would typically measure in an in room response. I believe Sony must have taken more of this into consideration.. remember, here is a company with a huge legacy in headphones coming out with a signature product.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,705 of 11,341
  Amazon.uk showing pre-order now, must be out of stock or holding orders. Think I'll wait for it to show in stock before pulling the trigger, give me time to see what the best price US distributors can give on it

I think the pre-order pricing expires on the 18th so consider that. I doubt we will see any discounting here. Amazon.ca is already and has been showing the Z1R at $2999 Canadian for a little while. Only going to get worse for us north of the border after the trade problems start so I'm glad I bought mine already!

Another thing to consider is if you wait and approach a US seller, contact them privately and ask for their best price. some won't budge, but perhaps you will find one that might. None will publically want to advertise lower prices so even if you see full retail advertised can't hurt to ask.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #2,706 of 11,341
I was at the Home Depot last night shopping for a new washer/dryer stack and fridge.... for the price of the 1Z I could've bought my 3 appliances.
eek.gif
  Think about this for a second... a Whirpool french door fridge and a Maytag washer/dryer vs headphones.

Then I went over to Costco where I saw a 65" Samsung 4K SUHD TV for around $2k as well.. Jeezus

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,707 of 11,341

Then I went over to Costco where I saw a 65" Samsung 4K SUHD TV for around $2k as well.. Jeezus

But this will lead to you spending more to upgrade to a cable package and or pay for 4K channels .... it will be a money pit.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #2,709 of 11,341
Nov 17, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,710 of 11,341
I was at the Home Depot last night shopping for a new washer/dryer stack and fridge.... for the price of the 1Z I could've bought my 3 appliances. :eek:   Think about this for a second... a Whirpool french door fridge and a Maytag washer/dryer vs headphones.

Just wait until Black Friday prices hit and buy the Sony 4K 75" for about that same $2k! :thumbsup_tone1::smiley::smiley::smiley:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,712 of 11,341
*sigh, going to go 4k route with a purchase of tv and everyday PlayStation pro

I can hear your wallet sobbing gently in the background. Don't worry little friend, it will all be over soon ....

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,713 of 11,341

Chiming in here regarding this. If you define "reference" as in studio use, then Sony has that market locked down in many regions(M50X is probably the only competitor in terms of quantity). CD900ST and their MDR-7xxx series are legendary. The 7520 has a cult following here on Head-fi and some engineers swear by it.

Of course, headphones are usually not used for mixing.

And isn't it a little bit curious that all studio reference cans are considered "mid-fi"?

And as a fellow frequent concert-goer I must say live music experience is important if one wants to be critical with their listening. And remember to wear some earplugs when going to loud venues... it improves the listening quality and protects your eardrums at the same time!

Now the only headphone I'm really interested in is the Focal Utopia (probably with Elear pads). It's nice to have a sudden influx of great manufacturers coming into the headphone game... 

Just to chime in here too :wink: , as a MDR-7520 owner, and someone who is interested in the new Z1. 

Studio headphones, in my opinion cover a wide gamut of purpose. A number of them are used for tracking and monitoring, but they are not used as reference masters. That is what speakers are for. Depending on the studio, your references will be something pretty high-end like B&W Nautilus, in a treated room. 

When I think reference, that is the sound. I guess reference can mean a number of things to many people. Studio reference monitor, and audiophile reference grade might be quite different. 

To me the 7520 is remarkable as it nears studio monitor balance. I would say, you could mix volumes on it, but panning would need to be handled by speakers, and if engineering for binaural, you'd be better off with a HD650.

HD650, for that matter, is more reference than the 7520 but still lacks that final polish and detail on the high and low end. 

The Z1 very well may make a good reference though. I'll have to stick with my budget Z1s though (D2000s).

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2,714 of 11,341
I tend to have a lot of things in for review.  This is one of few things that has really impressed me.  Currently having a small audio bash with a friend and we've got a ton of cans between us... and the Z1R performs.  I did feel that I was rediscovering certain tracks with this can.  Awesome.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #2,715 of 11,341
Is that the kennerton
I tend to have a lot of things in for review.  This is one of few things that has really impressed me.  Currently having a small audio bash with a friend and we've got a ton of cans between us... and the Z1R performs.  I did feel that I was rediscovering certain tracks with this can.  Awesome.

vali or odin? How you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back