The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #10,801 of 11,341
That is basically my experience with Head-Fi in a nutshell. If some negative review or impression of a headphone gets brought up to that particular headphone's fanbase, it gets questioned until eventually everybody agrees that either that person is wrong or doesn't share their same taste in sound

I'm going to have to agree with this with all my might, I feel like even though this is an open forum we are not really presented a space where an individual can discuss why he/she dodged a specific pair of cans without the above response. It might be a good idea for a thread where we discuss the shortfalls of loads of cans, just like the antithesis of appreciation threads but without glaring toxicity, of why that did not appeal to someone's taste and recommended alternatives. That would really provide a great range of discussions.

If permitted constructive criticism @jude, Hi btw I'm also a fan of your entertaining YouTube videos and talks with audio professionals, I feel like there's an overwhelming amount of positive reviews on this site and you really have to look to for a, what I call a "true", reviewer with an inventory to back the claims. I partially think that this is a trickle down effect as I can't recall you being negative about a product in general (we learn by example I guess haha). I know some reviewers like Hans Beekhuyzen on YouTube state that they refuse to review a product that he believes is poor or that will result in a negative review as it is a waste of his time, I don't know if you share the same ideals im just assuming.
I don't mean this as a sleight at all but when I read reviews from members without a catalogue or sometimes even their first forays into Hi-Fi of which is then launched to the front page it has me puzzled.

But, I look forward to both you and Tyll's findings, I'm patiently waiting impatiently haha.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #10,802 of 11,341
Both have peaks at 6kHz...an area that can be dangerously ear-piercing. The Mk2 is worse.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2.pdf

Both have peaks at 6kHz...an area that can be dangerously ear-piercing. The Mk2 is worse.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2.pdf

Put the TH610 pads on it and the problem subsides.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2TH610Pads.pdf
True, not particularly sharp though (TH900). You could probably sit your coffee cup on it

Thanks for the tip on the 610 pads. I have the 6XX so I'll try those, assuming the pads are similar

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #10,803 of 11,341
What are we talking about ? The peak at 9-10 kHz ? OK, there's a divergence between Tyll's and Jude's measurement, and Jude's post in the front page of HF was not very fair. But the rest of the two FR curves seems to be coherent. And what denote these curves ? Too much bass, recessed high-medium, veiled and zingy sound. Are these really TOTL headphones ?
Let's remember what is the purpose of a headphones ? An accurate reproduction of the sound as it has been created by the musician. Is the Z1R doing this ? Clearly not. Is the sound modified by the Z1R's FR able to please some of us ? Of course, and that's enough to recommend these headphones as an audiophile. But not as a reviewer. The only TOTL characteristics of the Z1R seem to be the comfort and the price.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #10,804 of 11,341
What are we talking about ? The peak at 9-10 kHz ? OK, there's a divergence between Tyll's and Jude's measurement, and Jude's post in the front page of HF was not very fair. But the rest of the two FR curves seems to be coherent. And what denote these curves ? Too much bass, recessed high-medium, veiled and zingy sound. Are these really TOTL headphones ?
Let's remember what is the purpose of a headphones ? An accurate reproduction of the sound as it has been created by the musician. Is the Z1R doing this ? Clearly not. Is the sound modified by the Z1R's FR able to please some of us ? Of course, and that's enough to recommend these headphones as an audiophile. But not as a reviewer. The only TOTL characteristics of the Z1R seem to be the comfort and the price.
And what shall we poor owners of the very unTOTL Z1R do now? Please enlighten me, else I am totally lost! You seem so wise Mr. Taktik

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #10,805 of 11,341
And what shall we poor owners of the very unTOTL Z1R do now? Please enlighten me, else I am totally lost! You seem so wise Mr. Taktik
@pietcux - thanks. Not to pile on this poor guy but that entire post is rubbish. Have to agree w/you. @taktik - I sure hope you own the Z1R. I do not see it listed on your sig.......

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #10,806 of 11,341
You enjoy the sound of your Z1R ? Keep enjoying it. I didn't say the Z1R is a bad headphones, I only don't understand how a reviewer can recommend it without a large amount of warnings...

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #10,810 of 11,341
@taktik - I sure hope you own the Z1R. I do not see it listed on your sig.......
I owned the MDR-Z7 which FR is closed, the Z1R having more subs. I'm not a basshead and this kind of distortion of the original signal is not my cup of tea. I don't intend to spend 2k$ in a Z1R. That being said, I am talking about the reviews, not the personal testimonies. If people want to listen 10 dB more bass, I respect their choice.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #10,811 of 11,341
Oh come on, even Tyll said its a beautiful looking headphone and that the feel of the Z1R is luxurious. So your gonna have to expand your Z1R TOTL characteristic list to at least include those things.
Are you really buying 2k$ headphones because they are beautiful and luxurious ? Sorry, but I don't consider the look of a full size headphone as a major criterion.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #10,812 of 11,341
Let's remember what is the purpose of a headphones ?
To enjoy music and to have fun doing so?

I suppose "pro" studio headphones are a tool for checking mixes, tracking....but I'm sure they have fun as well.

Or a headphone could be something for people to debate the worthiness of?

Something to measure?

Lots of uses...but I go with the first one.

I owned the MDR-Z7 which FR is closed, the Z1R having more subs. I'm not a basshead and this kind of distortion of the original signal is not my cup of tea. I don't intend to spend 2k$ in a Z1R. That being said, I am talking about the reviews, not the personal testimonies. If people want to listen 10 dB more bass, I respect their choice.
10dB more bass than what?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #10,813 of 11,341
To enjoy music and to have fun doing so?

I suppose "pro" studio headphones are a tool for checking mixes, tracking....but I'm sure they have fun as well.

Or a headphone could be something for people to debate the worthiness of?

Something to measure?

Lots of uses...but I go with the first one.

10dB more bass than what?

Hahaha maybe 10db more than he wants

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #10,814 of 11,341
I'm going to have to agree with this with all my might, I feel like even though this is an open forum we are not really presented a space where an individual can discuss why he/she dodged a specific pair of cans without the above response. It might be a good idea for a thread where we discuss the shortfalls of loads of cans, just like the antithesis of appreciation threads but without glaring toxicity, of why that did not appeal to someone's taste and recommended alternatives. That would really provide a great range of discussions.

I have to somewhat question this declaration. There are plenty of posts regarding all kinds of headphones, including the Z1R, that result in a conclusion of "this headphone isn't for me".

There are people who put in the time and effort to write paragraph upon paragraph to describe their listening impressions of a headphone, how they compare to other headphones, and some thoughts and a recommendation. Sometimes this results in a whole-hearted recommendation, sometimes it results in a negative review recommending to pass, most times it is a nuanced conclusion some where in between, factoring in price, performance, and other factors.

From my experience, there is no shortage of people discussing shortfalls and where some headphones fall short. Even in this thread, you can find pages upon pages of people who don't necessarily have positive reactions to the Z1R.

You touch on toxicity, and in my opinion, toxicity is a rampant problem on the internet in general. There are some communities in audio land which thrive on toxicity. If all you want is to be negative and say a headphone sucks, there are places for you online. I think if anything head-fi should be commended for fostering the kind of mature discussion that does not descend into such petty squabbling (for the most part).

I suppose I just don't see the value in letting threads descend into a long diatribe about why a headphone that a lot of people enjoy, is actually not a good headphone, and how these people who enjoy it are wrong. I think if you are finding that aspect of head-fi is missing, perhaps you are approaching the entire purpose of headphones from the wrong perspective. Not every headphone will necessarily be a good match for all listeners, and just because some people don't like a certain headphone, doesn't make it bad. Likewise, just because some people enjoy a certain headphone, doesn't make it good. This isn't a black and white, right or wrong, dichotomy.

You should be able to read an individual's personal experience with a headphone, and decide for yourself if that headphone is for you or not. Head Fi is an outstanding absolute treasure trove of that kind of discussion.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #10,815 of 11,341
Greetings to all from Spain,

Fall in love with these "cans", really. Two weeks for breaking and music is amazing... At first i notice a lag between mid and bass but now everything is there.

A full Ag cable in the "oven":
2qiplia.jpg

For Sony´s eyes only:
257q804.jpg

Thank´s, great community!!!
C.K.
PD: The Nano-Platinum Eclipse is a "must have". I use them with my Audeze´s LCD-4.
This is the cord we Put on our Utopia to mix it up! Very simple looking, but I dig it.... I have a couple friends on here that swear by Wireworld. I am glad we sell them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back