The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #9,796 of 11,341
Interesting observation and testament to the fact that tastes are different, which is a good thing thing. I have never experienced any harshness in trebles in the Z1R, if anything, trebles are to recessed for my taste. The HP I listened to most aside from the Z1R is the Beyer T1, which is a totally different ballgame when it comes to trebles.

I have the Sony Kimber cable too (bought it very cheap on eBay), but I found that it made the sound a bit darker than the stock cable, which was the opposite of what I tried to achieve. I am very happy with a silver cable that elevates highs a bit and makes the bass more controlled. There are many silver cables out there and I have tested two: Lavricables and Moon Audio Silver Dragon. Both very similar and especially the one from Lavricables is a bargain at EUR 200 for 2m.

Kimber cable does look great indeed though!

I had the Sony/Kimber for my Z7. It looks great, is mighty stubborn and sounds a bit different. But did it sound better? No just a little different.

May 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #9,797 of 11,341
I'll chime in with an update for my Z1R.

I switched over to a Moon Audio Blue Dragon balanced cable from the stock Sony single ended one. It was more than just a cable change since I went from lower power single ended to higher power output and balanced as well but the Z1R really opened up.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #9,799 of 11,341
do your self a favor and listen to the album "Vapor" by Yosi Horikawa if you haven't yet. Listening with the Z1R and the TA-ZH1ES. Just wild!
Good for head aches ?

May 31, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #9,801 of 11,341
Any MDR Z1R owners tried XBA-N3AP? I love that IEM. If the sound sig is similar, I might buy ZR1 as well..
Don't own the Z1R or anything, but I just received my XBA A3 and it really does remind me a lot of my time demoing the Z1R: Dynamic and authoritative bass with plenty of detail up top all the while still keeping out of being fatiguing for long use.
I'd say for people who demoed the Z1R and like it, but doesn't have spare $2000+ to burn should try the IEM line of Sony, at least the A3 and Z5 should interest them :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #9,802 of 11,341
So far to me the th900 is the better buy. I think sonys asking price is getting a bit silly I wonder when they will drop the price. As the th900 cost less and in "my opinion" sound better. I just dont see why when it comes to portability why anyone would want to bring a z1r or any high end headphone out in the open. Being practical here. But to each there own. The z1r is a great headphone but yes better is out there and its CHEAPER

May 31, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #9,803 of 11,341
Would love to find out if more expensive cables do make a difference, but I am hesitant to fork over serious money when logic says otherwise. :wink:

Believe in your logic, or don't.:wink:

May 31, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #9,804 of 11,341
So far to me the th900 is the better buy. I think sonys asking price is getting a bit silly I wonder when they will drop the price. As the th900 cost less and in "my opinion" sound better. I just dont see why when it comes to portability why anyone would want to bring a z1r or any high end headphone out in the open. Being practical here. But to each there own. The z1r is a great headphone but yes better is out there and its CHEAPER

Different tastes mate, I'm quite sure there will be enough people who don't feel the TH900 sounds better, some will as you do, but I rather doubt it is even remotely a universal opinion. I know going by memory I prefer the Z1R quite a bit, but I did like the TH900.

May 31, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #9,805 of 11,341
IMG_0910.JPG
I'm enjoying the Z1R, I feel is a complete different sound signature than the Utopia/HE1000 and I can listen to for hours, exactly what I was looking for. Happy to add to my collection

May 31, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #9,806 of 11,341
I'm enjoying the Z1R, I feel is a complete different sound signature than the Utopia/HE1000 and I can listen to for hours, exactly what I was looking for. Happy to add to my collection

How do they compare/ contrast to the HE-1000s?

After getting the Z1Rs, I wanted something different. I am kinda considering : LCD-X, HE-1000, and Ether Flow. I would love to know how the Z1R compares to the 1000. I know comparing headphones isn't really fair since at this price, it is a matter of personal preference and what they do different. But still, I would like as many takes before making a decision.

Thanks!

(Edit: The Z1Rs are endgame for me. Pretty much. I just want something to compliment them. Also, my amp in the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.)

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #9,807 of 11,341
How do they compare/ contrast to the HE-1000s?

After getting the Z1Rs, I wanted something different. I am kinda considering : LCD-X, HE-1000, and Ether Flow. I would love to know how the Z1R compares to the 1000. I know comparing headphones isn't really fair since at this price, it is a matter of personal preference and what they do different. But still, I would like as many takes before making a decision.

Thanks!

(Edit: The Z1Rs are endgame for me. Pretty much. I just want something to compliment them. Also, my amp in the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.)
You started not ended.

Jun 1, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #9,808 of 11,341
First things first, while I fancy myself as an "audiophile" head fier LOL I love bass, impact, clarity but a detailed and relaxed sound. This is what the Z1Rs are giving me, wow - just listening the first 30 minutes and wow. I am really happy with the buy, noticed right away how efficient they were. I am running them with the most "hated and infamous GEEK XFI DAC amp lol. I am loving the sound. I also received the Aeons, but to be honest for my taste and needs hands down Sony's no contest for me. The Aeons were comfy, but not for bass lovers. I mean I need to break them in 500 hours for my brain to adjust LOL but out of box not impressed. However, after selling my beloved Alpha Primes, they were not that far apart with similar tonality and great bass, but i really wanted to splurge and after reading the latest Stereophile review decided to get them. Really happy, with my first over one thousand buy. Lastly, just got the LQi XLR silver plater cooper really great match.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #9,809 of 11,341
I confirm the TH900 is fully closed from the back and sided; it does "leak" from the cups through the driver plate and damping (Onken loading), so sound may leak from incorrectly sealing ear pads or from the relatively thin and light cups as secondary sound sources (but still sound better IMHO than the heavier woods, one more thing where I seem to disagree with LA). When on the head, I highly doubt they are leaking anything between the pads and the frame.

And yes, the Z1R are vented, but do not leak more than the TH900. The venting and the apparent lack of proportional leaking likely implies a lot of damping in the cups, which I speculate may contribute to the sense of muddiness in the upper bass (YMMV), apart from possible issues with the relatively deep ear pads. The Z1R could be a modder's paradise if it was cheaper :). But I have no itch any more for the Z1R, if not for the comfort.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #9,810 of 11,341
So if I understand you - leakage is not that bad on the TH 900's? What about letting sound in i.e. In a room with other people watching tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back