The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #8,986 of 11,341
  Not sure if you all saw this TOTL shootout:  http://earphiles.org/2017/04/totl-closed-headphone-shoot-out/ 

I don't agree at all with his assessment of the Z1R, but otherwise it's a fun read.  I have the Eikon and I do admit that I think it's very special.  Tuned to reference with a touch of warmth.  It's probably getting the most head time of any of my cans right now.  The Z1R is number 2 at the moment.  

I must say that I have a lot of respect for this review. I do feel that the reviewer seems a bit partial to the ZMF's, but out of the cans he tested, I'm quite familiar with the TH-900 and Z1R (heard the LCD-XC and Ethers too briefly to really judge them), and FWIW, I hear their respective tonalities almost exactly as he describes them. In this hobby, where one has become used to wildly varying listening impressions, that is almost uncanny. The only thing I cannot explain is how he comes up with the idea of the Sony sounding "thin". Apart from that, his sound descriptions are spot-on, as far as I'm concerned. I very much agree with his assessment of the treble, mids and bass sections of both cans. In my book, this would result in a "sort of mediocre" grade for the Z1R due to all three ranges being solid, if not really exceptional, and a "downright bad" rating for the TH-900 with its outstanding subbass region, okayish, but lean midbass, basically nonexistent midrange and plain awful treble. I also think it's fair to measure the Z1R (as well as the other cans) against its MSRP, and agree that it's way overpriced, so in absolute terms, this would play in favor of the TH-900 (and the other contenders). Like the reviewer, I'd expect the Sony's clarity/transparency to be at a somewhat higher level, given what it retails for. This is an important trait for me, and I feel it's what separates truly high-end (or "summit-fi") headphones from the middle ground. Others may have different criteria. 

Z1R dead last, with the worst 'Overall Performance' ...
biggrin.gif

Just from seeing where that Z1R loaner came from, I didn't expect a different outcome. It's like an inverted-hype choo choo train in there. Given what I've been reading, it's just too weird for me to take it seriously, unless that's the only crowd that can hear.

"Dead last" is not entirely true though. In the "Reviewer's Preference" section, which is the actual conclusion, the Z1R ranks 4th of seven, beating the TH-900, LCD-XC and Ether C Flow. Looking at the rankings in the sound department, you'll see that the Sony actually performs quite okay, it just gets massively weighed down by being $700 more than the second most expensive contender and twice as much as the more expensive of the ZMFs, the Eikon.

Edit: Totally agree on "the place where the Z1R loaner came from". The whole site is quite comical. I feel elated after each visit there; as soon as you log out, the world seems brighter, more colorful and just an all around happier place.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #8,987 of 11,341
I must say that I have a lot of respect for this review. I do feel that the reviewer seems a bit partial to the ZMF's, but out of the cans he tested, I'm quite familiar with the TH-900 and Z1R (heard the LCD-XC and Ethers too briefly to really judge them), and FWIW, I hear their respective tonalities almost exactly as he describes them. In this hobby, where one has become used to wildly varying listening impressions, that is almost uncanny. The only thing I cannot explain is how he comes up with the idea of the Sony sounding "thin". Apart from that, his sound descriptions are spot-on, as far as I'm concerned. I very much agree with his assessment of the treble, mids and bass sections of both cans. In my book, this would result in a "sort of mediocre" grade for the Z1R due to all three ranges being solid, if not really exceptional, and a "downright bad" rating for the TH-900 with its outstanding subbass region, okayish, but lean midbass, basically nonexistent midrange and plain awful treble. I also think it's fair to measure the Z1R (as well as the other cans) against its MSRP, and agree that it's way overpriced, so in absolute terms, this would play in favor of the TH-900 (and the other contenders). Like the reviewer, I'd expect the Sony's clarity/transparency to be at a somewhat higher level, given what it retails for. This is an important trait for me, and I feel it's what separates truly high-end (or "summit-fi") headphones from the middle ground. Others may have different criteria. 

"Dead last" is not entirely true though. In the "Reviewer's Preference" section, which is the actual conclusion, the Z1R ranks 4th of seven, beating the TH-900, LCD-XC and Ether C Flow. Looking at the rankings in the sound department, you'll see that the Sony actually performs quite okay, it just gets massively weighed down by being $700 more than the second most expensive contender and twice as much as the more expensive of the ZMFs, the Eikon.

Edit: Totally agree on "the place where the Z1R loaner came from". The whole site is quite comical. I feel elated after each visit there; as soon as you log out, the whole world seems brighter, more colorful and just an all around happier place.

Its crazy how different opinions may be whats kind of sort of intresting is that one of the headphones clearly looks like a r10 knock off but it does sound great from what i have been reading. I do. Think however like anything it all comes down to prefrence.. The z1r wasnt meant i think to be the best headphone there is to me its a headphone that was meant to make you feel music and it to me does that in strides!!

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #8,990 of 11,341
I really can't see anybody not liking or enjoying the Z1R, but depending on personal preferences or what price you can get them for other options might suit somebody better

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #8,991 of 11,341

Edit: Totally agree on "the place where the Z1R loaner came from". The whole site is quite comical. I feel elated after each visit there; as soon as you log out, the world seems brighter, more colorful and just an all around happier place.

i didn't see the th900's recessed midrange described as "basically nonexistent" or its treble condemned as "plain awful" in the comparative review. nor was there any mention made of its "lean midbass" in the description accompanying its first place bass ranking. 
wink.gif

in the conclusion of the review, the reviewer ranks the th900 third and the z1r seventh in the order of merit, and ranks the th900 fourth and the z1r seventh on the price to performance list. however, in the reviewer's order of personal preference, the z1r ranks in fourth place with the th900 in fifth place - just sayin'.

anyways, it's one reviewer's subjective evaluation and it makes for an interesting addition to the discussion. i appreciate the effort he or she made to produce it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #8,992 of 11,341
  What the.....?????  
I was so very close to getting the Z1Rs, now what?

don't let just any independent reviewer(s) cloud your judgement/opinion else you will never decide on anything.

Music is such a subjective matter and people will have different taste, expectation, experience, preference, budget, sensitivity, loyalty, brand preference,vested interest, associated equipments etc. If anything the guys here (who actually paid for their gears and having to live with their equipment on a day to day basis) will give you a better indicator and a general idea if something is worth getting or checking out. Alas, we all don't have your ears...so go with where your heart is and buy anything that make your feet tap

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #8,994 of 11,341
Lmao the elear by no means sounds clearer than the z1r the female vocals on the elear have something missing to them i own both. Some Male vocals however do sound better then the z1r the elear has a nice treble response but the elear is fatauging as well.. I dont see why anyone would choose the elear over the z1r unless they had a tight budget i will say though for a $1000 bucks the elear is not so bad.

I agree with this. Elear's provide a strange hole in some vocals. Taylor Swift for example to me, sounded like something was missing from her voice. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #8,995 of 11,341
I agree with this. Elear's provide a strange hole in some vocals. Taylor Swift for example to me, sounded like something was missing from her voice. 

I agree about the Elear as well, it's definitely missing something, honestly it's missing some body in its midrange due to the hole. The upper midrange seems to have an image size that's a bit on the small side giving a weird effect on certain vocals. Doesnt really compete with the Z1R to my ears. Honestly thought the cheaper DT 1990 was better than the Elear.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #8,996 of 11,341
Z1R s tonality is better than the elears. My explanation is of performance, dynamics, speed, inner clarity, microdynamics, lower distortion, timbre.

Id pick the Z1R over the Elear as well for the reasons stated, yet still believe it to perform better technically.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #8,997 of 11,341
Z1R s tonality is better than the elears. My explanation is of performance, dynamics, speed, inner clarity, microdynamics.

Did you write the review?

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #8,998 of 11,341
The only advantage to me of the Elear over the Z1R is comfort level - for some reason it feels a little bit lighter and less clamping force. The Z1R is very comfortable for sure but I give the Elear a slight edge. The Elear mid-range has more heft but bass is not as tight as on the Z1R. The Z1R is also better with detail retrieval.

But the Elear is priced reasonably. As much as I like the Z1R, it's arguably not worth $2,300.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #8,999 of 11,341
The only advantage to me of the Elear over the Z1R is comfort level - for some reason it feels a little bit lighter and less clamping force. The Z1R is very comfortable for sure but I give the Elear a slight edge. The Elear mid-range has more heft but bass is not as tight as on the Z1R. The Z1R is also better with detail retrieval.

But the Elear is priced reasonably. As much as I like the Z1R, it's arguably not worth $2,300.

That's what surprised me about the Elear. It's like Tyll said, it makes you stop and re-evaluate how expensive headphones are.

That said, I really think Sony is underrated when it comes to high-end. The Z1R may be overpriced, but so are tons of headphones in that range. I'd say that they're "reasonably priced" in terms of sitting comfortably amongst most of their competition. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back