The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #9,002 of 11,341
  Hey guys I just did a youtube video on  a comparison between the Z1R and the Ether Flow C. this is the first time I made a video let alone embedding one on here... Hope I did it the right way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAF3KUJAg0w

Just finished watching Craig, well done mate. I am starting to like the video review approach more than I expected. Kudos for doing this.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #9,003 of 11,341
  Just finished watching Craig, well done mate. I am starting to like the video review approach more than I expected. Kudos for doing this.

I appreciate the kind words. Next videos I do I will give it more structure, to be easier to take in. I give a lot of credit to people that make solid videos... Definitely is a learning process.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #9,006 of 11,341
Hey guys I just did a youtube video on  a comparison between the Z1R and the Ether Flow C. this is the first time I made a video let alone embedding one on here... Hope I did it the right way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAF3KUJAg0w
objective review sir...well done...audio could've been a bit better though . What cable would you recommend for a purely technical perspective and not name brand!

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #9,008 of 11,341
As much as the Elear is reasonably priced I am surprised there is a $3K leap to get to the Utopia. I think the Z1R price sets up certain expectations for a reference type sound and it's just a different type of headphone.

Beryllium drivers are far more expensive to produce than aluminum/magnesium. Plus the Utopia has better pads and higher grade construction materials throughout. Also, for my money, Utopia is currently the state of the art in headphones (short of $50k statement products), and is quite fairly priced as such. The Z1R is certainly in the running for best closed back headphone, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are far cheaper alternatives that get you most of the way there sonically. The Z1R does feature premium materials and build quality, so the price can perhaps be justified on that count.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #9,010 of 11,341
Beryllium drivers are far more expensive to produce than aluminum/magnesium. Plus the Utopia has better pads and higher grade construction materials throughout. Also, for my money, Utopia is currently the state of the art in headphones (short of $50k statement products), and is quite fairly priced as such. The Z1R is certainly in the running for best closed back headphone, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are far cheaper alternatives that get you most of the way there sonically. The Z1R does feature premium materials and build quality, so the price can perhaps be justified on that count.

Forgot about the Beryllium. I thought the Elear was fantastic so I have no doubt the Utopia would be the pinnacle of quality for dynamic headphones. In the end I decided to return the Elear. The Beyerdynamic 1990 is a better open backed headphone for me - technically superior while still being energetic and punchy sounding like the Elear (and $400 cheaper).

The Z1R more than satisfies as the closed counterpart but I did pre-order the MrSpeakers Aeon. That has a cool design and by all accounts has excellent comfort and sound.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #9,011 of 11,341
interesting observation.If you may, please state in your opinion closed back headphones comparable to the Sony z1r or close!

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #9,012 of 11,341
interesting observation.If you may, please state in your opinion closed back headphones comparable to the Sony z1r or close!

As noted a couple pages back, my baseline for comparison at the show was my pair of Denon AH-D7100 (which sound quite similar to the even less expensive Denon AH-D600). In direct comparison to the Z1R, I was shocked how similar the frequency response curves (and subjective listening experiences) were. The midrange on the Z1R was a bit more resolving, but not dramatically so. I actually preferred the treble on the Denon cans. I think treble is the weak spot on the Z1R, which stands to reason given the size of the driver. As comfortable as the Z1R is, I wish it were less bulky. The Denons win on ergonomics overall for me, although the Z1R is clearly built to a much higher standard.

Mind you, both of the Denons are no longer in production, but can still be found new or almost new.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #9,013 of 11,341

I think the Eikon is up there in the running for "best closed back headphone".  Different sound signature though.  More reference with a touch of warmth on the low end.  Z1R is more of a V to W shaped signature with bass emphasis.  Two different flavors--both aurally delicious.  

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #9,014 of 11,341

i didn't see the th900's recessed midrange described as "basically nonexistent" or its treble condemned as "plain awful" in the comparative review. nor was there any mention made of its "lean midbass" in the description accompanying its first place bass ranking. 
wink.gif

I never said it was. That's my wording, not his, else I would have put in quotation marks. Here's what he said:

Re: bass: "Rumble and sustain are done decently sometimes leaving a want for a little more bloom and lacks the natural fatness of bass the Eikon and Atticus deliver."

Re: midrange: "I would love to hear a TH900 with a fuller midrange. It is recessed compared to the others but the most clear. It lacks body and presence with a thinness about its tones that while super clean and clear, is a little less realistic than the lot. Midband balance is very recessed in the lower midrange [...]."

Re: treble: "Sibilant, Way overdone, painful, and I can’t listen for more than 25 minutes at a time unless I specifically make a playlist of dark Songs"

So there, my version was just less polite.

in the conclusion of the review, the reviewer ranks the th900 third and the z1r seventh in the order of merit, and ranks the th900 fourth and the z1r seventh on the price to performance list. however, in the reviewer's order of personal preference, the z1r ranks in fourth place with the th900 in fifth place - just sayin'.

Exactly. TH-900 saved by price/performance, Z1R condemned by it. I don't think I said anything different. Again, I think that they should be priced closer to each other. Still, Z1R 3rd and TH-900 last on "overall tonality", which most would consider not an unimportant aspect. 
wink.gif

anyways, it's one reviewer's subjective evaluation and it makes for an interesting addition to the discussion. i appreciate the effort he or she made to produce it.

Absolutely.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #9,015 of 11,341
I think the Eikon is up there in the running for "best closed back headphone".  Different sound signature though.  More reference with a touch of warmth on the low end.  Z1R is more of a V to W shaped signature with bass emphasis.  Two different flavors--both aurally delicious.  
No doubt the Eikon is great but the Sony Z1R certainly doesn't suck

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back