The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7,276 of 11,341
All of the cheaper prices came out of Amazon UK.   That's not going to happen anymore.  I doubt Amazon US will go below $2,000, and there is a risk anyway because the third party seller is apparently out of Malaysia and you don't get a warranty from what I understand.  I think pricing in the future will be dependent on Sony's plans for the production run.  No one knows how long the Z1R will be manufactured.  Maybe a year or two, who knows....

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #7,277 of 11,341

Indeed. What surprised me the most was that it only seemed to happen at Amazon UK. Everything else I checked (including other EU Amazons) have had it pretty stabilized since the beginning. Weird.

But anyway, I've been discussing pricing for too long already, as you well pointed.

So another question... where can I find that nice Sony headphone stand? (although I kinda like my current one because it holds two full-size cans easily).
I hear you brother. Yes I have been contemplating the need for a headphone stand, but I can't afford one right now anyway. Currently I have a drawer and I simply place them like so:

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #7,278 of 11,341
  Hell yea. You gotta have patience. Around last week the order dropped down to 1,051 pounds. I was like whattttt ! Hell yeah man. My job requires patience. So i can wait all day to get something done. 

Damn, Ill. When did the price hit that point? Must've been after mine shipped! Haha.

Indeed. What surprised me the most was that it only seemed to happen at Amazon UK. Everything else I checked (including other EU Amazons) have had it pretty stabilized since the beginning. Weird.

But anyway, I've been discussing pricing for too long already, as you well pointed.

So another question... where can I find that nice Sony headphone stand? (although I kinda like my current one because it holds two full-size cans easily).

I have no idea how that # 0001 serial number got out there as return replacement no less. I almost want to say it was some error. How on earth would Sony not keep their # 0001 model for the sake of posterity? That's crazy. I myself am happy to have 0168, and your 0026 is impressive in and of itself! Of course, these little numbers don't REALLY matter unless we start finding discrepancies like in the Sony MDR-R10s. 

As far as headphones stands go, I saw the suggestion of the Avantree headphone stand, and I have to say, while I was surprised that the stand used silicone rubber parts for the base and resting mount... Well, I actually very much came to like that aspect! With such a soft material as the rest for the headphones, flexible as well, it really distributes pressure evenly and puts no pressure on the pads (so no deformation over time) since it's a free hanging design.

In my opinion, as much as having official Sony swag is a cool prospect, this headphone stand is just perfect because of how gentle it is on the leather headband.  

My humble little setup. :D

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #7,279 of 11,341
Quote:
  I have no idea how that # 0001 serial number got out there as return replacement no less. I almost want to say it was some error. How on earth would Sony not keep their # 0001 model for the sake of posterity? That's crazy. I myself am happy to have 0168, and your 0026 is impressive in and of itself! Of course, these little numbers don't REALLY matter unless we start finding discrepancies like in the Sony MDR-R10s.   

They probably kept those initial test models... the ones with the X. :)

In my opinion, as much as having official Sony swag is a cool prospect, this headphone stand is just perfect because of how gentle it is on the leather headband.  

My humble little setup. :D

That's pretty nice, "humble". :p
Agree that it works fine as long as it doesn't damage the headband or scratch metal. It's amazing how many really sucky stands are out there.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7,280 of 11,341

Thank you gents... Yes i will share S/N once i get home later today. I'm super excited.  Not to brag or anything but my price came down to $1300 plus before shipping and customs. That is ridiculous.

That's great price for this HP.
I remember the day you bought this as I was in the forum following the thread I guess around Dec end but I was not sure about this HP at that point of time as I already got Focal Elear but ended up returning Focal and getting this for $2K
frown.gif

Please don't post price or any price of this HP from Amazon UK it hurts ppl like me who bought it in NA
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7,281 of 11,341
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #7,282 of 11,341
  That's great price for this HP.
I remember the day you bought this as I was in the forum following the thread I guess around Dec end but I was not sure about this HP at that point of time as I already got Focal Elear but ended up returning Focal and getting this for $2K
frown.gif

Please don't post price or any price of this HP from Amazon UK it hurts ppl like me who bought it in NA
bigsmile_face.gif

I kept my order open since Dec 27th. Sorry to offend you dude. I had extreme patience. You have to celebrate things. It's only money. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #7,283 of 11,341
  I kept my order open since Dec 27th. Sorry to offend you dude. I had extreme patience. You have to celebrate things. It's only money. 

It's not just patience, dude. I think because you ended up in the second batch of shipments, and not the first like I was, you ended up passing a lower price at some point. 1050 GBP? When did it hit that low? I wonder if Amazon.co.uk would do a rebate for that.

Now I wish I had the later shipping date instead of the earlier one. I don't even want my second pair, lol. :p

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #7,284 of 11,341
I'm just curious that many in this thread are buying both the Z1R and an amp at the same time. Normally, people adding to their high end headphone collection already have an amp that they like and has proven itself.
People buying both are often new to high end headphones and are setting up a new system. 
I ask this, and it's a good thing, is the Z1R generating new interest in good headphone listening?

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #7,285 of 11,341
  I'm just curious that many in this thread are buying both the Z1R and an amp at the same time. Normally, people adding to their high end headphone collection already have an amp that they like and has proven itself.
People buying both are often new to high end headphones and are setting up a new system. 
I ask this, and it's a good thing, is the Z1R generating new interest in good headphone listening?

That's pretty much my case. I just had the EMU 0404 USB and I was content with my CD3000s and SA5000s, not really caring to get new DACs or amps at all, since I felt the set up was fine. Concerning the Z1Rs, I just impulse bought them when I felt the price was quite low at $1800 on eBay, knowing the MSRP.  

A friend had been teasing me to buy a pair (even though they don't own one themselves), so I finally did. When I saw the upgrade cable and DAC/Amp set up, I was like yeeeah, gotta have the whole shebang. 

Essentially, yeah. I needed something more appropriate and decided to go with the signature series line up for it. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #7,286 of 11,341
  It's not just patience, dude. I think because you ended up in the second batch of shipments, and not the first like I was, you ended up passing a lower price at some point. 1050 GBP? When did it hit that low? I wonder if Amazon.co.uk would do a rebate for that.

Now I wish I had the later shipping date instead of the earlier one. I don't even want my second pair, lol. :p

My apologies 1087.80 GBP idk where in the world i got the 1051 from. I must of looked at the wrong thing for second. But yes it dropped in the last moment to that price. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #7,287 of 11,341
Well, great choice E3E. I can tell you, I've been around the block for 15 years and counting with lots of high end headphones of all types, and the Z1R could serve as my only headphone and I wouldn't feel shortchanged.
And I even had R10s for a while (sold them; just not for my tastes).

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #7,288 of 11,341

If you look at my post history I've posted a few times about why Amazon UK's price has fluctuated so much.

Funnily the guy who got number 001 got them as a replacement for number 450, which were damaged. I've just sent the number 450 back yesterday.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #7,289 of 11,341
  Well, great choice E3E. I can tell you, I've been around the block for 15 years and counting with lots of high end headphones of all types, and the Z1R could serve as my only headphone and I wouldn't feel shortchanged.
And I even had R10s for a while (sold them; just not for my tastes).

Thank you, rgs! It's nice to know someone with such experience can give them a glowing recommendation, even more so than a pair of R10s! 

The Sony Qualia has always been my dream pair since signing up on this forum, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be as nice as the Z1R. These Sonys really seem worth every penny. We're lucky to get them for a discount at all, really.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7,290 of 11,341

Well - that is my story as I am coming back to headphones after last roaming these forums back in 2003/2004.  Back then I had a Grado RS1 and a LaRocco PPA amp.  In those days most on headfi were using DIY amps built by other members.

I am currently using a Mojo with my Z1R and Utopia however I am tempted to step up.  One thought, now perhaps passing, was to get a GSX MK2 and connect it to my two channel system to use with those sources.  I think I have now changed direction and want to keep my headphone setup separate from my two channel.

Seriously giving the Sony TA-ZH1ES some thought - alternatively I am thinking about stepping up from the Mojo to a Hugo2.  There really is not that much info or reviews on the Sony amp while the Hugo 2 sounds like it will be a known quantity.

Any feedback would always be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back