The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #7,201 of 11,341
Amazon Prime (US) opened with these at $1999 just under a month ago, now they are $1899. Same seller (Buywise) fulfilled by Amazon. I'm calling it now... I think these will settle at or below $1500 in the next couple of years. Barring anything spectacular in the pipeline that beats them for that money (doubtful, imo) , I think these will be as much a go-to recommendation as the HD800 was.

If you have anyone visiting/returning from Malaysia, the Z1R retails at roughly $1592.60 (based on Google's currency converter).

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #7,202 of 11,341
Feb 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #7,203 of 11,341
Just going over old posts in the NW-WM1Z and A thread and ran across one where Jason from the Source took the Z1R's on a flight and they seemed to have done quite well. - i.e. blocking out noise and being quite usable.

Can anyone provide some additional feedback on using these on an airplane - curious how they fare

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #7,204 of 11,341
Amazon Prime (US) opened with these at $1999 just under a month ago, now they are $1899. Same seller (Buywise) fulfilled by Amazon. I'm calling it now... I think these will settle at or below $1500 in the next couple of years. Barring anything spectacular in the pipeline that beats them for that money (doubtful, imo) , I think these will be as much a go-to recommendation as the HD800 was.
those headphones come from Maylasia and as their ad says comes with no warranty from Sony.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 21, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #7,206 of 11,341
I can't answer the first question, but regarding the second, the Z1R performs very well directly from the two Walkmans in balanced more that has adequate power. However it really shines with the Sony amp, everything becomes better, soundstage, bass is tighter, more details, darker background and especially better vocals

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #7,207 of 11,341
The Z1Rs sound excellent out of the WM1A, but out of the TA-ZH1ES is another level to me. More dynamic, the instruments are better defined, better feeling of space etc.

I'm still very new to this game so it's hard for me to describe accurately, but the TA-ZH1ES is the one piece of gear that I haven't thought once about returning to see if I can find something better. 

Couldn't agree more.
It changed my opinion on these headphones

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #7,208 of 11,341
  2 more day's. Finally have my tax return pay my Z1R. Wooohooooo. 

Aha, that can only be beaten by the wait for the shipping. And then finally opening that box.
Hopefully you'll like it and keep it a long time.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #7,209 of 11,341
Just going over old posts in the NW-WM1Z and A thread and ran across one where Jason from the Source took the Z1R's on a flight and they seemed to have done quite well. - i.e. blocking out noise and being quite usable.

Can anyone provide some additional feedback on using these on an airplane - curious how they fare
i wont travel by air with the sony Z1r...they provide little to no isolation.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #7,210 of 11,341
i wont travel by air with the sony Z1r...they provide little to no isolation.

Isolation is average for closed cans, not all that bad. You can certainly do it. But I don't see the Z1R fitting that use case. The isolation isn't good enough to justify it, you won't enjoy the sound quality given the background noise and it's not even handy/easy to transport/handle (you'll want to be careful not to damage those awesome mesh cups).

@buzzlulu, I think it's much easier to just grab some MDR-1000X with ANC or some IEMs with good tips for that. Unless you are really needing to move the Z1R with you to a different place...in that case, safer on the head than in the cargo hold. :D

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #7,211 of 11,341
Aha, that can only be beaten by the wait for the shipping. And then finally opening that box.
Hopefully you'll like it and keep it a long time.
It was love at first listen @ canjam NYC. No worries on my end.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7,212 of 11,341
It was love at first listen @ canjam NYC. No worries on my end.

I'm just gonna say, that's exactly what I expected once you got around to listening to these, compared to what you were using 
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #7,213 of 11,341
I'm just gonna say, that's exactly what I expected once you got around to listening to these, compared to what you were using :p
My brother they we're amazing. And can't wait to get them home.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #7,215 of 11,341
So...for anyone that's been following my quest to z1r...I suffered a major setback today. My girlfriend thought I was after a z7 this whole time...and that it was a bit of a ridiculous endeavor at around 500 bones... So you can imagine her reaction when she figured out I wanted a z1r. I'd better just stay away from this thread for a while. :frowning2: it's getting too dangerous for me to see all this positive feedback, especially now that the z1r has officially been verified as a bass slammer with eq/power.

I like my having my **** attached to my body and don't want the old lady to chop it off. So I'll dip back in here in a few months, either with a better paying job and a z1r and the same girlfriend...or with a sh** job and a z1r and a different girlfriend haha. :p I appreciate all the feedback yal have given me on these headphones, enjoy for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back