The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #7,141 of 11,341
I am afraid that there's nothing anyone could do for you if your ears are that sensitive to pressure from any close back system.

I know! I thought it may just be the NC system on the Bose that upset them but the Z1r's confirm otherwise.

As I say, (un?)fortunately I don't like the sound from them anyway. I would have been gutted had I fallen in love with the sound but couldn't wear them...

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #7,143 of 11,341
Has anyone been able to find a female 4.4mm balanced connector?
I couldn't find anything on mouser or digikey.

http://e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000107563/

They had them in stock before but are currently out.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #7,144 of 11,341
I know! I thought it may just be the NC system on the Bose that upset them but the Z1r's confirm otherwise.

As I say, (un?)fortunately I don't like the sound from them anyway. I would have been gutted had I fallen in love with the sound but couldn't wear them...
Unfortunately I love the sound of them. The only issue I had was too much bass, but I think that's because of the issue with my ears.

I tried switching from the EX1000s to Fidelio X2 last night and within minutes my left ear and sinus felt blocked. I could feel my eardrum fluttering...very strange sensation. The tinnitus had almost gone, but it's whining away now.

Doesn't bode well for the Hifiman He1000s I've got coming. Hope I'm not going to be limited to just IEMs!

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #7,148 of 11,341
Thanks for that. I'll have to check back later.
In the meantime I'm going to build a cable.
Switchcraft locking 3.5mm connectors are more expensive than I expected, but I don't see any other options.

They had them last week or 2 weeks back....I bought mine. Looking at building 4.4mm -> either TRS 3.5mm or TRRS 2.5mm, haven't decided yet.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #7,149 of 11,341

This is almost exactly what I'm hearing in my pair. In practice the 3250Hz peak is not as bad as it seems, but when listening critically to set up my eq parameters I was really surprised by how pronounced it is. It covers the notes G7, G#7, and A7. The narrowness of the band makes it annoying on rare occasions when a vocalist or instruments concentrates on those notes.
I really wonder if there isn't a physical limit to the 70mm driver design as it seem that the Z7 has the same problem and more pronounced.
In my equalizing process going note by note it felt as if there is treble missing(there isn't) in that the frequencies from 3500Hz to 7000Hz are respectively lower than the 3250Hz response by a lot. Then the response goes up a bit from there.
That said the treble is higher than the bass region by at least 6db.
The 3250Hz spike really sqewes perception imo when listening critically.

They had them last week or 2 weeks back....I bought mine. Looking at building 4.4mm -> either TRS 3.5mm or TRRS 2.5mm, haven't decided yet.

I was going to make an adapter for the Z1R balanced cable to be used with the PHA3 balanced out, but now I've got some low gauge(16awg) good copper speaker cable that I'm going to make into a dedicated cable for the pairing. I may terminate with xlr4 so that I can compare single ended cables.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #7,150 of 11,341
16 AWG is super large. You may have problem to fit it onto 3.5mm unless they have huge barrel and collar with good soldering skills. Then even if you pass those, you will face the next problem. The cables will have a lot of stiffness and spring back-forth from the twisting and or braiding that you did....it will then result in a free rotating cables inside the 3.5mm sockets when you turn your head or make any movements. Unless you can salvage stock 3.5mm plugs and use the correct approach to still have the locking mechanism working right.

Speaking from experiences FYI...also, I personally do not think it is any goods to go for sizes larger than 18AWG for headphones.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #7,151 of 11,341
16 AWG is super large. You may have problem to fit it onto 3.5mm unless they have huge barrel and collar with good soldering skills. Then even if you pass those, you will face the next problem. The cables will have a lot of stiffness and spring back-forth from the twisting and or braiding that you did....it will then result in a free rotating cables inside the 3.5mm sockets when you turn your head or make any movements. Unless you can salvage stock 3.5mm plugs and use the correct approach to still have the locking mechanism working right.

Speaking from experiences FYI...also, I personally do not think it is any goods to go for sizes larger than 18AWG for headphones.

It is a large gauge indeed. I was looking for 18awg,but analysis plus doesn't make an 18awg speaker cable that is easily used for headphones. The brown 4 conductor in-wall will hopefully be reasonably flexible once the jacket is removed to reach each side of the phones with 2 conductors per side. The conductors are individually braided to be flexible so we'll see. The full size xlr connectors can take up to 18awg so the problem will certainly be the 3.5mm plugs. I fully expect to have to be imaginative to get it to fit well. There are connectors that accept up to an 8mm cable. I'm hoping that will be enough.
In any case it'll be fun to make and I'll be able to do a comparison that i've been looking to do for a long time. I'm sure there will be limitations. Thanks for the perspective. Much appreciated.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #7,153 of 11,341
Hey, guys. So I just purchased Ayre Codex to use with the Z1R. As some of you know, the Codex has balanced headphone outs in the funky dual 3.5mm outputs. What's the best way to interface Z1R with this? Seems like there isn't much consensus on the best aftermarket headphone cables yet on Z1Rs either.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #7,154 of 11,341
I don't know how people will take this, but the Z1R is very likely to crack the top 10 head-fi ExtremeBassHead headphone list, which is big news for bassheads. I can feel eyes rolling. Anyhow, for those who missed it, you can see DonChuy videos there. If this cracks top 5, its very big news!

Sony somehow seems to want to bridge tensions between the audiophile crowd and bass lovers. They really got the magic dust it seems.

happy_face1.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #7,155 of 11,341
Hey, guys. So I just purchased Ayre Codex to use with the Z1R. As some of you know, the Codex has balanced headphone outs in the funky dual 3.5mm outputs. What's the best way to interface Z1R with this? Seems like there isn't much consensus on the best aftermarket headphone cables yet on Z1Rs either.

Thanks!

​Isn't there dual 3.5mm Kimber cables for the Z7 that would fit the Z1R? If so might be a great option. The Codex must be a fantastic device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back