The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #6,451 of 11,341
  I'm not too sure about that.  My initial measurements indicate to me that damping factor w/ the Elise is going to have an effect on the way the headphones sound.  I measured a 3 dB bass boost in the lower frequencies and significantly increased 2nd harmonic distortion when I plugged my 32-ohm TH900 into the 40-ohm OTL amp.  The former may be "preference" but the latter is definitely not a good thing. I don't think it's a great idea to bank on pairing the 64 ohm Z1R with the Elise.   I've always felt OTL's should be paired with higher impedance headphones due to the effects of damping ratio and my recent experience does support this.

I agree, I used the Z1R with my OTL La Figaro 339, and the Z1R gets warmer. Yes things become more lush, and for some that may actually be what they want, but for me I do feel that using my solid state NAD M3 is the better pairing for my tastes. I felt it made the Z1R sound less detailed and slower. Now I had changed my power tubes to some Mullard 6080s changing from Chatham 2399s, but I'm not sure tube choice can account for this.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #6,453 of 11,341
I'm not too sure about that.  My initial measurements indicate to me that damping factor w/ the Elise is going to have an effect on the way the headphones sound.  I measured a 3 dB bass boost in the lower frequencies and significantly increased 2nd harmonic distortion when I plugged my 32-ohm TH900 into the 40-ohm OTL amp.  The former may be "preference" but the latter is definitely not a good thing. I don't think it's a great idea to bank on pairing the 64 ohm Z1R with the Elise.   I've always felt OTL's should be paired with higher impedance headphones due to the effects of damping ratio and my recent experience does support this.

Well, I returned the TA because the Elise was just as good for me. The TA was a beautiful piece of equipment and did sound just a tad more neutral but didn't justify the additional $1,500. And with Elise there is much versatility with different tubes you can try.

I don't doubt the measurements but they are beyond my understanding anyway. I don't rely on charts or graphs to tell the full story.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #6,454 of 11,341
  Any idea how is the Z1R compared to the Ether closed Flow?

@MacedonianHero@Rowethren and @gelocks all have experience and I believe all three tended to prefer the Z1R while still really liking the Ether C Flow. I'm sure they'll reply to you. If I included somebody incorrectly, or excluded somebody my apology.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #6,455 of 11,341
Yep, Z1R is my preference. Smoother treble, bigger sound stage, more filled out mids and of course that slamming but textured bass. I would say it is far more comparable in sound to the open Ether Flows which I do prefer slightly but the added isolation the Z1R provides is good for cutting background noise so I seem to end up using them most of them time. Hope that helps :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #6,456 of 11,341
  And my choice of HP is influenced by the voicing I have come to prefer on my two channel rig. 

Exactly my situation.  And I've discovered it's not an easy process.  Those that live near an actual retail shop (thinking of you..TSAV Jason) have the ability to mix, match, and compare.  Like I did way back in the 70's. Woodward Avenue had several high end shops.  Spent hours there...and the guys were always great about it.  

Bern

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #6,457 of 11,341
If I'm being quiet honest, Z1R is definitely not a bassy headphone nor bumped up bass..This is definitely contradicting towards some impressions I've read here so far..If everybody could express their opinions, then this is definitely mine. Z1R is just perfectly balanced in which the bass lines are just going to be presenced when its called for..I find this to be natural character rather than bumped up bass.This is coming from driving Z1R with Chord Mojo and AK320..Both are reasonably neutral sources and will jive well with Z1R. I dont know how much warm source would do to Z1R signature but thats totally different story and not Z1R signature is going to be blamed for IMO.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #6,458 of 11,341
  I purchased from Jason at TSAV directly. They are able to sell into Canada as there is no real Canadian distributor yet. I would contact Jason and see what he says and if the numbers line up maybe consider cancelling the Sony.ca order. One word of advice, if you do end up ordering from anywhere in the US, do not under any circumstances go with UPS, insist on USPS. I always go USPS, but the last time I didn't I just accepted UPS. They charge you $100 simply to brokerage the package, which means they do essentially very little and make a ton of cash off of you. I have never had an issue with USPS before, the service is excellent in my experience.

Just canceled my order with Sony.ca
A local dealer promised to get them for a good price, hopefully he can fulfill my request. 
Thanks!

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #6,459 of 11,341
Yep, Z1R is my preference. Smoother treble, bigger sound stage, more filled out mids and of course that slamming but textured bass. I would say it is far more comparable in sound to the open Ether Flows which I do prefer slightly but the added isolation the Z1R provides is good for cutting background noise so I seem to end up using them most of them time. Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!
Looks like I will end up getting the Z1R to compliment the Utopia and will sell all my other phones including:
LCD4
HD800S
HE1000

And maybe I will close my head-fi account and enjoy music without reading tens of threads everyday
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #6,461 of 11,341
If I'm being quiet honest, Z1R is definitely not a bassy headphone nor bumped up bass..This is definitely contradicting towards some impressions I've read here so far..If everybody could express their opinions, then this is definitely mine. Z1R is just perfectly balanced in which the bass lines are just going to be presenced when its called for..I find this to be natural character rather than bumped up bass.This is coming from driving Z1R with Chord Mojo and AK320..Both are reasonably neutral sources and will jive well with Z1R. I dont know how much warm source would do to Z1R signature but thats totally different story and not Z1R signature is going to be blamed for IMO.

To me the bass is outstanding. Has that weight behind the tunes... And on a certain degree you feel air pushed towards you're ears. I honestly got that impression the other day. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #6,462 of 11,341
Thanks!
Looks like I will end up getting the Z1R to compliment the Utopia and will sell all my other phones including:
LCD4
HD800S
HE1000

Curious, some people in this thread sold those three after getting the Z1R, although it's a bit of a coincidence as they are not the same type of tool.

Utopia+Z1R will be an epic combo. One of the best open cans, along with one of the best closed. And I don't say "the best" because we know where those remarks usually get us. :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #6,463 of 11,341

... And I don't say "the best" because we know where those remarks usually get us. :)

Yes, there is no best is there?

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6,464 of 11,341
  Yes, there is no best is there?

Sometimes there is, mostly in more... concrete areas like build quality, materials, presentation...
But in terms of sound, I guess there isn't. Different ears, different preferences.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6,465 of 11,341
  Since the review, I've had to return the Signature Series gear to Sony Singapore. :frowning2:

But yes, the T1 with the model number just before the baffle change (assuming 21k?) is excellent. I think the problem has traditionally been the fact that the T1 has a 1400 ohm electrical impedance in the 100 Hz region, so to really bring that bass out a powerful amp (balanced could help here) with sufficient voltage swing is needed.  Am reviewing the Feliks Audio Elise amp with it right now, and it is nothing short of excellent.  I'm finding the bass to be enveloping and responsive, and it's done some wonders. 

Now, I'm certain many will disagree, but personally for me, something like the T1/ HE-6 would be a more appropriate primary driver.  Z1R/ TH-900 would come in as a complement.  There are many things I like about the Z1R, but air and staging is important to me, and  open cans provide more of that.  As has been mentioned, Z1R is arguably one of the best, if not the best, closed headphone atm.   If you need that bass while maintaining good balanced tonal, the Z1R will do it, and I think that it has a multitude of strengths to that end.

That explains why I like my T1 with balanced cable termination on the pha3.
The Z1R will be replacing a modded/balanced SZ2000 with heavy eq so there is no doubt that it will succeed in the replacement with respect to resolving ability, but I am curious to see how much sub-bass air it can push in comparison.
I'll have to get the balanced Z7 kimber cable or else cut/re-terminate the balanced cable that it comes with so that I can use it with the pha3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back