The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #6,406 of 11,341
The biggest thing to keep in mind with the rate technology is advancing and that means a lot of competition. You're better off at the current moment saving $2300 and waiting to see what other alternatives release within the following year. The new mr speakers closed back looks promising and if they will keep the cost down as stated it could be very interesting to see what other companies will begin to release in order to compete and get your money remember you as the consumer hold the power not the manufactureres.. Its gonna be a great time for audiophiles the next few years for sure!!

Ya totally agree. When i got Z1R, my first thought was how could one get better than this and then i got to listen Shangri-LA, a very very expensive setup and then i realized OK so this level of refinement can be achieved in headphones. With better technology i am sure that level of refinement will come at a much cheaper option few years down the line.
Till then Z1R with Brooklyn DAC or Utopia with Woo Amp is best money can buy at this point of time for me.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,407 of 11,341
Yes, a 3K peak is pretty darn easy to tame with a modest parametric EQ cut that is kept fairly narrow. Far from an issue that would even have me concerned, and frankly I don't even bother using an EQ cut, at least not thus far as it really hasn't been a bother for me. Some headphones have peaks, some have dips, some are this, some are that, nothing is perfect so I tend to not worry about small issues, but I don't mean to trivialize it for those who find it a bother.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,408 of 11,341
Sorry for my latest reply. I am looking to improve my enjoyment of music from m50x and se846.
I like the sound signature of m50x, but crave for the bass from se846. I didn't quite enjoy the forward mids of se846 though and the highs doesn't extend like the m50x.
From what I have gathered from various opinions here, it seems like Z1R would be the cans that will posses this magic.
Music genres that I like are mainly jazz, orchestral, instrumental, edm, jpop, etc. Basically it could be anything from any genres.
Some of my favourites are jazz version of 'merry go round of life', yoshida brother's 'a hill with no name', Batman 'molosus', 'watashi no uso' just to name a few.

Am I wrong in my assessment for the Z1R ?

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #6,409 of 11,341
Sorry for my latest reply. I am looking to improve my enjoyment of music from m50x and se846.
I like the sound signature of m50x, but crave for the bass from se846. I didn't quite enjoy the forward mids of se846 though and the highs doesn't extend like the m50x.
From what I have gathered from various opinions here, it seems like Z1R would be the cans that will posses this magic.
Music genres that I like are mainly jazz, orchestral, instrumental, edm, jpop, etc. Basically it could be anything from any genres.

From my own experience. i would purchase the Z1R and not turn back. Buy them from a dealer with an easy return if you aren't satisfied. But for some of those music genres you can't beat the Z1R.... Awesome headphones. It was euthoric to listen to. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #6,410 of 11,341
From my own experience. i would purchase the Z1R and not turn back. Buy them from a dealer with an easy return if you aren't satisfied. But for some of those music genres you can't beat the Z1R.... Awesome headphones. It was euthoric to listen to. 

I'm from Singapore, so I can't return them if bought. But from what I have gathered from the opinions here, it should be my utopia lol.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #6,411 of 11,341

Yes, but it's not really portable. I made the same mistake thinking I could replace the Shure SE846 with these. 

I'm thinking about returning the Z1R and try a high-end IEM or perhaps the new Mr.Speaker Aeon (which is much smaller than the Z1R it seems and looks better in public maybe).

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,412 of 11,341
Yes, but it's not really portable. I made the same mistake thinking I could replace the Shure SE846 with these. 

I'm thinking about returning the Z1R and try a high-end IEM or perhaps the new Mr.Speaker Aeon (which is much smaller than the Z1R it seems and looks better in public maybe).

I see. But I won't bring the Z1R out of my house. The hot humid climate here doesn't allows it. I will relegate my m50x or se846 to portable gear, or use my qc35.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,413 of 11,341
  Yes, glad to hear I wasn't the only one who caught and measured the peak.  It's quite a big one at 3K, but it is in a narrow band.

If there is a peak around 3KHz maybe Sony is giving the sound a gentle boost to have more of an "air" feeling to the music though admittedly that is an F# which is middle of the 7th octave and just a bit after where treble begins (roughly 2KHz).
It would be in live with their "feel the air" marketing.
Personally I'm a little disappointed to hear this. I will have to check it out for myself when my pair arrives. I really hope it isn't too noticeable.
Have you or anyone else tried a signal generator to compare 1500Hz to 3000Hz and see how big the difference is to your ears?

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,414 of 11,341
I see. But I won't bring the Z1R out of my house. The hot humid climate here doesn't allows it. I will relegate my m50x or se846 to portable gear, or use my qc35.

Then the Z1R is a great choice. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #6,416 of 11,341
  If there is a peak around 3KHz maybe Sony is giving the sound a gentle boost to have more of an "air" feeling to the music though admittedly that is an F# which is middle of the 7th octave and just a bit after where treble begins (roughly 2KHz).
It would be in live with their "feel the air" marketing.
Personally I'm a little disappointed to hear this. I will have to check it out for myself when my pair arrives. I really hope it isn't too noticeable.
Have you or anyone else tried a signal generator to compare 1500Hz to 3000Hz and see how big the difference is to your ears?

I've not compared the 1.5 kHz and the 3 khz directly.  But when I had it around for review, at the 3.1 kHz - 3.4 kHz iirc, there was a significant increase in perceived loudness.  Taking this to the measurement mic, it was about a 7-8 dB increase there.  Hence, a measurable peak.

*Yes, did some incremental listening via REW's generator.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #6,417 of 11,341
@Makan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back... The LCD-XC is a more neutral can than the Z1R. The Z1R is more fun, but equally refined.

Bass: The LCD-XC doesn't hit nor extend as low, although the bass is very detailed. That said, detail is equally good on the Z1R, so it's a wash. If you like a lot of bass, the Z1R wins. If you like less bass, the LCD-XC wins.

Mids: The LCD-XC to my ears is somewhat unique to the LCD series, insomuch as while the signature Audeze warmth and fullness is present, it's somewhat less definitive in the XC. Definitely not thin. Just perhaps not the level of richness people are accustomed to with the LCDs. It's smooth and thick as, say, melted butter. Not syrupy thick. A lot of people will like this, but someone buying the XC for those traditional Audeze mids might be disappointed. It actually reminds me a lot of the mids on the (newer de-veiled) HD-650, just more refined. The Z1R features equally rich mids, although it demonstrates a level of punchiness that eludes the XC. Additionally there is a quality of airiness that begins to resolve in the mids of the Z1R. I think the soundstage the Z1R is quickly becoming famous for really becomes noticeable in this range.

Uppers: speaking for me personally, this is where the comparison stopped being a contest of "equal-but-different" and the Z1R really pulled away. While detail retrieval for both cans is excellent, the Z1R was more refined, more controlled, and more accurate. And the strength of it's soundstage is on full display here.

In conclusion, both are excellent. Despite my marking treble as a win for the Z1R, it's still going to come down to which sound signature you prefer, overall. I liked the Z1R. Some might like the XC.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,418 of 11,341

for iems, then i'd suggest looking at FLC 8S (fab bang for buck @ $350..cheaper on used market, of course)
...or their upcoming Celeste...some new things coming down the pipe shortly..but no details per their thread

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #6,419 of 11,341
  for iems, then i'd suggest looking at FLC 8S (fab bang for buck @ $350..cheaper on used market, of course)
...or their upcoming Celeste...some new things coming down the pipe shortly..but no details per their thread

Thanks, I will try getting my hands on them.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #6,420 of 11,341
I've not compared the 1.5 kHz and the 3 khz directly.  But when I had it around for review, at the 3.1 kHz - 3.4 kHz iirc, there was a significant increase in perceived loudness.  Taking this to the measurement mic, it was about a 7-8 dB increase there.  Hence, a measurable peak.

*Yes, did some incremental listening via REW's generator.

Yup. I hit that around 3.0 kHz - 3.3 kHz, but at only around 5-6 dB. Differences are small enough to be our equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back