The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #6,391 of 11,341
Won't seduce me away. On some amps the Utopia sounded rough when you turned it up. Boy they we're comfortable. But the Z1R was my favorite can at the show. That bass was freaking awesome. 

The bass is pretty nice, especially with rap music.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #6,392 of 11,341
Yeah, I'm surprised Sony designed it like this. I guess I must of have a square head and is bothered by the hard sides, but the headband really is under pads.  

Sound quality wise, I felt it's a pretty good headphones, the female coarseness is reduced significantly after some burn in, still I think the Utopia beat this hand down, the Utopia is more natural/analog like where I felt the Sony has some rough edges.  Moving to a good tube amp helps, but then that helped the Utopia as well :)  This would be a keeper for me as a closed headphones, but alas the comfort factor isn't working out right now.  May just have to return them, maybe I'll jump on MrSpeakers Aeon band wagon.

Well, the Utopia is a $4000 headphone and is not limited by a closed design so it's not a fair comparison.

I have also a bit of comfort issues (but maybe I can solve it by streching it which is something I won't do as it's still in my return period) and the big treble peak which pisses me off sometimes (not sure why a reviewer said the Utopia is a bright headphone while praising the Z1R since the Z1R is brighter due to the peak somewhere).

But I think the big bass is quite fun on some music and I actually have fun listening to these on certain types of music. I'm also curious about the Mr. Speaker Aeon. If it doesn't have this treble peak and is more comfortable while offering similar sound quality, I will return the Z1R.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6,393 of 11,341
Well, the Utopia is a $4000 headphone and is not limited by a closed design so it's not a fair comparison.

I have also a bit of comfort issues (but maybe I can solve it by streching it which is something I won't do as it's still in my return period) and the big treble peak which pisses me off sometimes (not sure why a reviewer said the Utopia is a bright headphone while praising the Z1R since the Z1R is brighter due to the peak somewhere).

But I think the big bass is quite fun on some music and I actually have fun listening to these on certain types of music. I'm also curious about the Mr. Speaker Aeon. If it doesn't have this treble peak and is more comfortable while offering similar sound quality, I will return the Z1R.

The Aeon sounded awesome to me. For the price i think they are a steal ! Very comfortable, and all the good stuff. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #6,394 of 11,341

Z1R or Utopia for electronic music?
How far brighter compared to the Utopia?

Utopia is my limit in terms of brightness, as sometimes it get really annoying! But nothing will beat the Utopia in terms of balance and dynamics. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6,395 of 11,341
I can't imagine the Z1R as bright, I haven't even really experienced the treble peak. I will test this myself further as I'm not saying those who have encountered a peak aren't actually experiencing it, just that I haven't. Perhaps the frequency where the Z1R peaks is an area I'm less sensitive to, and of course the music played might have a lot to do with experiencing the "peak". In general I find the Z1R pretty darn fatigue free while still providing excellent detail retrieval.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #6,396 of 11,341

Need a connoisseurs level description of that low end 
biggrin.gif

What kind of music did they play on it, or did you choose your own?

I was listening on Tidal... I just started searching my own Artist that i listen to on the regular. And the bass rumbled. Zero distortion and i felt air hitting my ears with those suckers on. It was smooth pleasant bass. And the overall sound was pure quality. Closed my eyes, tapped my left foot, and moved my noggin in all directions. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,397 of 11,341
It depends on the music also ofcourse. If the Z1R had a bit less peak, then it would be more pleasing to my ears. But it also depends on the equipment used because the Z1R sounds different on the Mojo than on the Chord Dave.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #6,398 of 11,341
Z1R or Utopia for electronic music?
How far brighter compared to the Utopia?

Utopia is my limit in terms of brightness, as sometimes it get really annoying! But nothing will beat the Utopia in terms of balance and dynamics. 

Well, the Z1R is a darker headphone but there is simply a peak somewhere that jumps out at me sometimes which doesn't happen on the Utopia.

For electronic music, the Z1R is very nice with the big bass. I wouldn't pay 2 times the costs of the Z1R if you listen to that kind of music.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #6,399 of 11,341
It depends on the music also ofcourse. If the Z1R had a bit less peak, then it would be more pleasing to my ears. But it also depends on the equipment used because the Z1R sounds different on the Mojo than on the Chord Dave.

I take it you prefer the Dave with the Z1R.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #6,400 of 11,341
I take it you prefer the Dave with the Z1R.

Ofcourse. Quite a big difference.

But it's more of an office headphone for me for now so I use it with the Mojo most of the time.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #6,401 of 11,341
Ofcourse. Quite a big difference.

But it's more of an office headphone for me for now so I use it with the Mojo most of the time.

What do you like about the Mojo and Z1R? I'm sure the Dave kills it, but the Mojo is still well regarded so I would be interested to hear how it handles the Z1R. I am also surprised to see the high output impedance at 75ohms. Conventional wisdom would suggest this may negatively impact the control of the low end with low Z headphones.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #6,402 of 11,341
  What do you like about the Mojo and Z1R? I'm sure the Dave kills it, but the Mojo is still well regarded so I would be interested to hear how it handles the Z1R. I am also surprised to see the high output impedance at 75ohms. Conventional wisdom would suggest this may negatively impact the control of the low end with low Z headphones.

Both the Mojo and Dave are near 0 ohm output impedance so it's fine.

Let's just say the Mojo sounds good enough for me for in the office since I'm not interested in carrying a desktop rig to work everyday. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #6,403 of 11,341
The Z1R does have a peak, but it's a relatively small window, and you need the right track to hear it.

For the majority of tracks, I think the Utopia presents as brighter, at least to my ears. That said, neither headphone gets offensively bright, even during the occasions the Z1R hits that peak... In my opinion, excessive brightness is not something anyone interested in the Z1R or Utopia should be concerned about.

As always, YMMV.

Has anyone found a travel case for these yet?

x1000... Anyone?.. Anyone?.. Bueller?

I need one... These cans don't look big, but they made my generously-sized Slappa Hardbody Full Size look like a Tic-Tac container...

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #6,404 of 11,341
It's indeed not a super huge peak according to my ears. But for $2200, I rather not have it there. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #6,405 of 11,341
The Z1R does have a peak, but it's a relatively small window, and you need the right track to hear it.

For the majority of tracks, I think the Utopia presents as brighter, at least to my ears. That said, neither headphone gets offensively bright, even during the occasions the Z1R hits that peak... In my opinion, excessive brightness is not something anyone interested in the Z1R or Utopia should be concerned about.

As always, YMMV.
x1000... Anyone?.. Anyone?.. Bueller?

I need one... These cans don't look big, but they made my generously-sized Slappa Hardbody Full Size look like a Tic-Tac container...

Yes, glad to hear I wasn't the only one who caught and measured the peak.  It's quite a big one at 3K, but it is in a narrow band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back