The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,586 of 11,341
I have a couple of their cables and they are all really nice quality, I can't tell in the picture but does that have locking plugs? If so how well do they lock?

The plugs are not locking, but they sit very tight. There is no risk of them falling out of the inlets.

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #3,587 of 11,341

The plugs are not locking, but they sit very tight. There is no risk of them falling out of the inlets.

Fair enough, I was looking at getting the Forzaaudioworks cable with the locking plugs shown in the picture below, looks like they should be good but hard to tell from a picture.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #3,588 of 11,341
Fair enough, I was looking at getting the Forzaaudioworks cable with the locking plugs shown in the picture below, looks like they should be good but hard to tell from a picture.

Those locking screws could also fit my cable. Will ask them tonight

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,589 of 11,341
Those locking dress could also fit my cable. Will ask them tonight

A guy in the Z7 thread said they worked well and as far as I am aware the connectors are the same. Think I might get a Hybrid Claire HPC. Love the stripy look :D

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3,590 of 11,341
:joy::joy:
Seriously, i'm alternating HD800S and Z1R and are both new for me, i bought them almost together; i'm not an expert(these are my first TOTL) but considering that the Sennheiser are considered a reference for resolution, soundstage and detail, i don't think i'm wrong to say the enthusiasm in this tread is justified.

There's something special about the Z1R in direct A/B comparisons eh? I know exactly what you mean.
Still, the sense of width/depth is better on the 800S, no way to work around that one. They're also slightly brighter, which is nice sometimes.

I'd say you have a pretty good Open/Closed combo complementing each other there, if there is time to listen to both often :wink:

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,592 of 11,341
As far as I know...there is no locking plugs on the market that works the way the stock cables and Kimber do :frowning2:

What is it that they do differently that makes them better? I really have no idea about 3.5 lockable jacks so it would be good to know :)

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,593 of 11,341
What is it that they do differently that makes them better? I really have no idea about 3.5 lockable jacks so it would be good to know :)

After market locking plugs are not exactly "lock". They are more like "screw-on". You can only screw your cables and jack onto the Z7 or Z1R outer housing and that you will not yank it out when you accidentally step on the wires and move around ?

The stock cables has the "real locking" mechanism. That beside the screw-on function, it also tighten up the under body of the wires and compressed this plastic mold against the O-ring on the top of the locking shells which is locked into the screw-on housing. Together is formed an immovable locking features. The wires can not be rolling and rotating around inside the socket when plugged in and locked in. After market ? You can roll the wires around inside it socket even when you screwed it on.

In another word, the stock sockets and lock prevent the wires from being rolled and rotated around inside the sockets when locked in.

Z7 has a much more secured and tighter sockets when plugged in vs Z1R.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3,594 of 11,341
After market locking plugs are not exactly "lock". They are more like "screw-on".

Thanks for the detailed response. I guess the rolling isn't too much of an issue though in the grand scheme of things because it is just the 3.5mm jack rotating inside the socket isn't it?

If my phone/headphone cable can last several years with the abuse the socket gets with walking about with a thick cable plugged in I would imagine the Z1R with the relative low amount of movement should last basically indefinitely and worse case some of the gold plating might wear off which isn't the end of the world.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,596 of 11,341
No doubt it is more durable in the plug department with the offical Sony method. Although I guess potentially if the force of rotating is stuck in the wires it might have the potential to fatigue the wires to breaking point but either way I think any real damage is unlikely. As long as the contact is good I am happy!

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,597 of 11,341
As far as I know...there is no locking plugs on the market that works the way the stock cables and Kimber do
frown.gif

After market locking plugs are not exactly "lock". They are more like "screw-on". You can only screw your cables and jack onto the Z7 or Z1R outer housing and that you will not yank it out when you accidentally step on the wires and move around ?

The stock cables has the "real locking" mechanism. That beside the screw-on function, it also tighten up the under body of the wires and compressed this plastic mold against the O-ring on the top of the locking shells which is locked into the screw-on housing. Together is formed an immovable locking features. The wires can not be rolling and rotating around inside the socket when plugged in and locked in. After market ? You can roll the wires around inside it socket even when you screwed it on.

In another word, the stock sockets and lock prevent the wires from being rolled and rotated around inside the sockets when locked in.

Z7 has a much more secured and tighter sockets when plugged in vs Z1R.

But the Kimber cables do lock?
I don't mean only the Sony/Kimber but the Kimber Axios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back