The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #346 of 11,341
  I dunno i got no where to go from here. bass live sound la900 is hard to beat. Studio balanced sound with outstanding mids hd800S, my iem is 846 kinda like an hd800S. I'm approaching the three year cycle and not sure what could fit in this matrix of sound from a complimentary perspective. 
maybe I'm naive

There are still some great, more affordable headphones out there (if one can successfully avoid the chatter around high-priced flagships).

Only flagship type headphones I have (or had before recent announcements) are/were the Z7 and T1.2. However, I more often use my HD598 and T50rp mk3 (< $150 each). I get most all the dynamic soundstage and planar magic I need from those two.

If upgradeitis sets in for the new flavor of the month, think I'd go for the Elear (at the max). Haven't heard them yet but at least the Focals bring something new to the table.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #348 of 11,341
I dunno i got no where to go from here. bass live sound la900 is hard to beat. Studio balanced sound with outstanding mids hd800S, my iem is 846 kinda like an hd800S. I'm approaching the three year cycle and not sure what could fit in this matrix of sound from a complimentary perspective. 
maybe I'm naive

Maybe you're realistic, maybe that extra 5-10%every yr or so in sound increase isn't worth the $$$...to each his own...everyone has their own budget and values.
I'm just glad I'm not a hardcore audiophile..yes a watch geek for a bit, then dumped of their, too.
All hobbies can be crazy if you don't watch it.

my buddy once hada US $70k system...dumped it and now listens to music via apple airplay, lol.
at least this hobby isn't as crazy priced as home hifi.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #351 of 11,341
That may be a very long shot.

Any idea of when the first reviews will appear?
If the date at Amazon.de is correct, they will be shipped in less than a month from now, so press probably gets sample units much earlier.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #354 of 11,341
Read some more impressions, but given the source, I wouldn't put much weight into it [yet].

"During our brief time with the MDR-Z1R headphones, the cans were incredibly comfortable.
The genuine sheepskin ear pads make these premium – and bulky – headphones feel like ear slippers.
Sound quality was astounding, fuelled by the impressive WM1Z."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back