The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Jan 18, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #286 of 419
On mine, Mahogany, right cup grain is perpendicular to the plane of the cup and left cup grain is probably almost 30 degrees from being parallel to the plane of the cup. So right cup had somewhat regular parallel grain features and left cup almost has a swirl effect. This might play into the tuning but I haven't perceived it yet nor tried to.

Would you mind uploading a photo?

To be honest I'm just being totally superficial here, I'm not worried about how it might affect the sound, just curious about if the two cups look good together.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #287 of 419
I think i domaged my left ear listening to the thx00 ... ive noticed a weird sound coming from my Thx00 using my fulla2 ( wierd white noise over high frequency sound at high volume )  so i started to try the thx00 on diferent amp at loud volume to see if they was reproducing the same weird sound .

they didnt , but ive been listening to a few amp loud trying to reproduce the sound for like 1 hour ...   later that day , I started to feel pression inside my left ear  , and some really high frequency sound in background , what they call tinitus in english i thinkso ...

so i feel the pression behind my ear on and off since 4 days . and i noticed i cannot ear Bass anymore , low fequency are just impossible to ear ...

any1 experienced this before ?

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #288 of 419
I think i domaged my left ear listening to the thx00 ... ive noticed a weird sound coming from my Thx00 using my fulla2 ( wierd white noise over high frequency sound at high volume )  so i started to try the thx00 on diferent amp at loud volume to see if they was reproducing the same weird sound .

they didnt , but ive been listening to a few amp loud trying to reproduce the sound for like 1 hour ...   later that day , I started to feel pression inside my left ear  , and some really high frequency sound in background , what they call tinitus in english i thinkso ...

so i feel the pression behind my ear on and off since 4 days . and i noticed i cannot ear Bass anymore , low fequency are just impossible to ear ...

any1 experienced this before ?

You've definitely damaged your ear in some way. Sometimes it's temporary and will go (mostly) back to normal after a few days. However, listening st very high volumes to try to hear a problem in your headphones is a terrible idea.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #289 of 419
If I want to test my headphones, I use a tone signal generator app and always start with the volume down LOW. A slow sweep up the FR is a nice way to diagnose all kinds of audio weirdness.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #290 of 419
Would you mind uploading a photo?

To be honest I'm just being totally superficial here, I'm not worried about how it might affect the sound, just curious about if the two cups look good together.

THX00 Mahogany Right Side, Normal View

THX00 Mahogany Right Side, Side View, note near perpendicular grain to Normal.

THX00 Mahogany Left Side, Normal View

THX00 Mahogany Left Side, Side View, note about 30 degrees grain angle to Normal.

THX00 Mahogany with ZMF Pilot Pad (headband cover) and ZMF Eikon Pads

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #292 of 419
  Is that the stock padding on the headband? The padding I have on my purple hearts isn't that thick but I would probably like it to be.

He did mentioned "ZMF Pilot Pad ". I have those too (frankly didn't think it looked THAT thick), and they are awesome and relatively cheap from ZMF website (i bought the lambskin one, not the fake leather one). They like have a velcro on one side lengthwise so you just put it over the regular padding on any similarly sized headphones.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #293 of 419
  He did mentioned "ZMF Pilot Pad ". I have those too (frankly didn't think it looked THAT thick), and they are awesome and relatively cheap from ZMF website (i bought the lambskin one, not the fake leather one). They like have a velcro on one side lengthwise so you just put it over the regular padding on any similarly sized headphones.

Thanks for the recommendation, I am definitely gonna order one.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #294 of 419
Has anyone compared these with the HD650/HD6XX?

I have a pair of HD6XXs and a set of Stax SR-303s. I find the Sennheisers to have a warm, pleasing sound, and was looking for something with physical bass impact and roundness because the Stax have a rather anemic (though incredibly detailed and very strong bass). I found... too much of that. The Sennheisers sound great, and I prefer the low end, but the detail isn't there. I do find the Stax a bit strident but the detail is just amazing. There's just no comparison. I can hear how a track was mixed, where the reverb is added, the overdubs, texture of tape hiss, etc. It's almost exhausting but the detail is insane. I wish I could combine the sound of the two somehow. Round and punchy in the bass with excellent detail. And a bit less treble than the Stax, but more than the Sennheisers. (Poorly recorded snares sound so bad on the Stax!)

I've become really fond of my DT1350s. They are the closest thing I can find to the best of both worlds, but they sound like headphones and not like speakers and are "boxed in" a bit. I leave them at work so they can't be my main pair. They're worse than either of the open headphones I have, but strike a better balance between detail and harshness, also the bass is inexplicably good and reaches so deep without distorting. I've noticed I start to use them at home because I live in a loud area in a rather thin-walled apartment. They're very, very good, even though everyone who tries them prefers the open headphones overall as they sound more like speakers.

So... I want Sennheiser HD650 mids and bass but with more extension, Stax-like detail, an open headphone sound that sounds like speakers, but with more isolation so I can use them at work if need be and at home to block out ambient sound.

Sounds impossible! But if I find it I'd gladly sell my HD6XX and SR-3030s, both of which btw are just excellent and I will miss a lot.

Is this the golden ticket? (Btw my DAC is a gamma2 and that is the one thing I would not sell. It has tons of detail and is not harsh and I think is why I prefer detailed headphones. That thing is the best.)

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #295 of 419
These are less detailed than the HD650. What you are describing sound wise is an equalized HD800. If you want it in a closed back, the only thing that maybe comes close is a Sony R10.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #297 of 419
These are less detailed than the HD650. What you are describing sound wise is an equalized HD800. If you want it in a closed back, the only thing that maybe comes close is a Sony R10.

You own an HE400i, how does that compare? I've heard it has way more detail than the HD650 but less bass detail and is similar to electrostatics overall. Where would you put that in the equation? I'm surprised the Foster is less detailed because the biocellulose diaphragm should be fast and they appear to have more treble emphasis, but mostly I am just frustrated to learn they aren't what I'm looking for since it seems to measure similarly to the DT1350, which I like, so I was hoping it would be the perfect medium.

My favorite headphone I've tried to date is probably the SR-Lambda normal bias but it's a bit thin in the bass compared with what I want and VERY open. Maybe I should get another pair of those and call it a day, they really are good sounding to me, although my friends who've tried them and the HD650 think they sound like $20 headphones by comparison. I don't have an appropriate amp for the HD650 so maybe that's what I need... but it feels too "lush" and distant even beyond the resolution and treble being very recessed. It's not even that it's low resolution, because complex passages don't get out of control, but that the acutance isn't as high if that makes any sense. Too smooth. The Stax is surprisingly harsh, maybe too much so. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #298 of 419

You own an HE400i, how does that compare? I've heard it has way more detail than the HD650 but less bass detail and is similar to electrostatics overall. Where would you put that in the equation? I'm surprised the Foster is less detailed because the biocellulose diaphragm should be fast and they appear to have more treble emphasis, but mostly I am just frustrated to learn they aren't what I'm looking for since it seems to measure similarly to the DT1350, which I like, so I was hoping it would be the perfect medium.

My favorite headphone I've tried to date is probably the SR-Lambda normal bias but it's a bit thin in the bass compared with what I want and VERY open. Maybe I should get another pair of those and call it a day, they really are good sounding to me, although my friends who've tried them and the HD650 think they sound like $20 headphones by comparison. I don't have an appropriate amp for the HD650 so maybe that's what I need... but it feels too "lush" and distant even beyond the resolution and treble being very recessed. It's not even that it's low resolution, because complex passages don't get out of control, but that the acutance isn't as high if that makes any sense. Too smooth. The Stax is surprisingly harsh, maybe too much so. 

well, let's be clear here as well.  I think in some ways you are mixing up treble emphasis with detail.  When I say detail, I mean ability to resolve due to low distortion and lack of ringing, independent of frequency response.  The DT1350, in those terms, has less detail than the HD650.  The HD650 can sound "less detailed" because it doesn't have as much treble emphasis.  However, the detail is still there, it's just not shouting your face off at 10kHz.  The HD650 is one of the most detailed headphones there is in terms of ability to retain and not destroy detail through transducer insufficiency, only surpassed by the very top end flagships, but it is also smooth and doesn't force the detail in your face.  That being said, Stax detail is on another level, AND ALSO treble pushed, so it sounds crazy analytical.  

The THX00 has very, very good detail for a closed headphone.  But it just isn't on a Stax level with regards to detail or even a HD650 level.  

The HE400i has about the same detail as the HD650, but is more "up front" in terms of presentation.  The HE400i is also a little bit better than the HD650 in very dense passages with a lot of simultaneous hard transients.  The HD650 has a bit more "weight" to the decay, which can be both good (it gives music more body) and bad (it can sound congested in heavy transient dense music).  

So, yeah, when you asked about a closed headphone with Stax level detail, but HD650 (or better) bass, well, that just doesn't really exist.  However, I think it looks like now you don't necessarily need Stax level detail, you want a more "upfront" approach with bass, and at least good detail and a v or u shaped signature.  In that regard the THX00 fits pretty well.  The THX00 would probably be an improvement for you over the DT1350.  I'd recommend upgrading your amp and getting SOnarworks for your HD650, and you will be shocked at what the HD650 is capable of with a better amp and professional quality calibrated EQ.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #299 of 419
+1 on amp uprgrading with the HD650, it may get you there for what you want, as it scales well & opens up, reaching it's fullest potential with better amps, even lifting any veiling if matched well.

Just like the HD650, the Staxen need really great amps (best Stax upward to other mfrs) to perform their best - it makes a good difference, and can smooth out traits - many pair tube amps here.

Also consider HD800"s" version - it adds a bit more bass, smoothes treble, but may lose some standared 800 airiness.

As mentioned earlier by others HD800 & ZMF Eikon or Atticus and thought maybe Audeze LCD-XC, but open vs vented closed vs closed may be a deciding factor.

Pretty much all of these need a well-matched, very good amp (especially 800 series) to maximize their performance and get you where you want to be, so the amp is important.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #300 of 419
Or, if you're finding the BeyerDynamic sound a happy medium, maybe you may like others in their line - T1, T90, Amiron, T70 if you have a chance to hear those.

The Cable Company does not stock these in their Lending Library, but maybe a hifi dealer near you has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back