The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #257 of 419
After doing some close listening sessions with the speakers at some of my university's studios, I've come to appreciate my X00s much more. Comparing and contrasting the three sets (Adam A7X, Mackie something, and Genelec something) the A7Xs stood way out as having the best resolution  and imaging, winning in every category except dynamicsm, which the Genelec won. 

Coming home and listening to my mahogany X00s through my little Schiit stack, they best all the speakers in every category, except frequency response, which is honestly a personal preference. The detail is simply amazing, and the music sounds much more convincing and spacious compared to any of the monitors I listened to. Taking into account a pair of A7X costs roughly 1400$ USD, I'm kinda astonished. I have an appreciation for my cans that I haven't had since receiving them last December.

We'll see if they hold up against the Focals that are coming to replace the frankly crappy Mackies.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #260 of 419
While the stock pads were comfortable, they tend to squish my glasses frame causing noticeable discomfort due to the stiffness of the pads and the clamp. I didn't have this issues on my senns stock pads or HM5s. I did try HM5 pleather pads but they alter the sound too much for my liking. The bass becomes bloated and the mids become more recessed. The soundstage did increase but I actually feel the stocks pads were much more immersive and fun to listen to. I'll prob grab a pair of Alpha pads soon...

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #262 of 419
Im looking to buy these headphones soon but isolation and sound leakage is a big issue for me. Can any owners tell me how much sound it leaks, and perhaps how to reduce this?

it really doesn't leak much sound unless you are BLASTING your music.  My secretary sits about 5 feet away from me and can't hear them at all, even when the office is silent.  Isolation, however, isn't that great.  It will drown out most ambient noise, but you can hear people talking to you in a normal voice.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #263 of 419
Quick general question to you guys. I just bought this (has not yet arrived). My audio sources are generally my nexus phone or my (official) macbook (my desktop is in storage right now). Currently I have a e18 and am planning to use it with this. I also have a large amazon gift card weighing down my pocket.

I'm considering the Ifi Micro iDSD. My question is, is this a worthy upgrade? has anyone tried the e18 (or similar fiio dac) with this, how do they sound? OR should i just wait for a few months maybe the m9xx will go on sale again sometime next year? one of the main reason for buying a dac/amp with these phones would be to tighten up and control the bass a bit (my ears have been a bit extra sensitive to bass the last few years). The other option I see is the fulla 2, which is cheap and looks like a good DAC, but MAY be a bit of a sidegrade.

note: whatever DAC i buy now will also likely be my desktop amp/dac for the foreseeable future (once my desktop is out of storage around feb), so wanting to make a bit of a future proof decision as well.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #264 of 419
I just joined the party, the like new X00s should be here in a few days.  The wood cup crafting sounds like a really interesting hobby for me, especially since I just started using some 3D modeling software at work.  Are there any technical data files that specify the dimensions of the stock cups, and/or aftermarket ones like Lawton does?  I'd love to just buy some Lawton ones, but there is no way I can afford them right now.  Definitely down to just buy some really nice raw wood, a chisel, and some lacquer to get after it though!

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #265 of 419
  I just joined the party, the like new X00s should be here in a few days.  The wood cup crafting sounds like a really interesting hobby for me, especially since I just started using some 3D modeling software at work.  Are there any technical data files that specify the dimensions of the stock cups, and/or aftermarket ones like Lawton does?  I'd love to just buy some Lawton ones, but there is no way I can afford them right now.  Definitely down to just buy some really nice raw wood, a chisel, and some lacquer to get after it though!

Whitigr might have some, they've extensively modded their X00s, to the point of putting TH900 drivers in and completely re-doing the dampening.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #267 of 419
  I thought I should start a full owners' impressions page for these cans, simply because the review thread is clogged with postings related to shipping and tracking info that say nothing about how great these babies are...

Just saw this thread.

Happy TH-X00 Mahogany owner here since late spring/early summer (don't remember anymore when the drop exactly shipped and arrived - I guess it was June).

Great headphone. Super s@xy looks, beautiful wood, great fun sound with an impactful bass and especially sub-bass, a good midrange timbre and a sparkly upper treble. Good soundstage for a closed headphone.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #268 of 419
New happy mahogany owner here. Thoroughly pleased with the X00. was kinda testing hifi waters with these since they're relatively cheap. Having a bit of a craving for more now, I was afraid of this hah. But there are 2 things in particular I'd hope to improve upon:

Sub bass quantity
Soundstage/imaging

Will th900 mk2 do this for me without sacrificing anything in the midrange and treble? I really want all these great sounds of the X00 to be all around me instead of focused and intimate...if that makes sense...

And I want to rattle my brains out with eq and amping, more so than X00 already allows. Ive hit the distortion zone and hope the th900 can pound more sub bass out before giving up.

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #269 of 419
New happy mahogany owner here. Thoroughly pleased with the X00. was kinda testing hifi waters with these since they're relatively cheap. Having a bit of a craving for more now, I was afraid of this hah. But there are 2 things in particular I'd hope to improve upon:

Sub bass quantity
Soundstage/imaging

Will th900 mk2 do this for me without sacrificing anything in the midrange and treble? I really want all these great sounds of the X00 to be all around me instead of focused and intimate...if that makes sense...

And I want to rattle my brains out with eq and amping, more so than X00 already allows. Ive hit the distortion zone and hope the th900 can pound more sub bass out before giving up.

Thanks!

TH900 will improve upon everything, especially soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back